“A bit far away from the center”
Review of Guest House Carpe

Guest House Carpe
“A bit far away from the center”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Carpe for 2 nights. One of them was the memorial day for the A-bomb. The guest house was totally overbooked and people had to sleep on the floor in the living room (for the normal rate of 25$). This was very uncomfortable especially since there was only one shower and one toilet for all 16 of us. It was also very loud that day. I hope this really was an exception. This also lead to the house not being as clean as other hostels I stayed at.

Kayo is very friendly, I agree. She picked me up at the train station and helped me find my way around.

But I found the place to be a bit too far from the center. In the main part of Hiroshima everything is walking distance. Not this guest house. Then again, if you are looking for peace and quiet -Carpe is your place!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank betts888

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Adelaide
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed at Guest House Carpe for one night on the 28th of July.

From the moment that I first had contact with Kayo (the owner/manager), I felt at home. Kayo is a very welcoming person, and made sure that I was comfortable from the moment I stepped into her Guest House. She is so welcoming that I didn't feel like I was a guest at a hotel, I truly felt like I was visiting family or a friend.

When you are at the guest house a lot of the time is spent around the living room chatting with Kayo and the other guests about whatever topic comes to mind.

Kayo went out of her way to make sure I knew where I was going when I went out by myself.

The guest house itself was very clean and professionally run. It is located only two stations from Hiroshima station, and conveniently located to the nuclear museum and Miyajima island.

For the price you pay for Guesthouse Carpe (dormitory style accommodation), you will not find better value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My brother and I stayed there for 2 nights and we had a wonderful experience although the time we shared was a little since we were all day outside sightseeing. Kayo-san, the owner of the guest house is really friendly and kind, made us feel like we were at home. The only thing that I can complain about is the Wi-Fi which didn't work well, was sloppy and there were times were you couldn't use it at all even thought we were just 4 using it at the same time.

Room Tip: I wouldn't take the higher bunk beds because is right under the A/C and it can be noisy and cold...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

The rooms were comfortable and clean, nice shared space with plenty of natural light, good access to Miyajima and Hiroshima station. Charming decor and a nice quiet neighborhood.

As other reviews have said, what sets this place apart from other guesthouses is the owner, Kayo-san. We had so much fun thanks to our hostess; she also recommended the nearby izakaya (which was AWESOME), she have us an excellent day plan on both of our days, and was just genuinely a very amiable person to be around.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Kerushii
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I felt immediately at home here and was so sad to leave after 3 nights. I felt like a friend not just a guest and had an amazing time meeting the owner, her friends and other guests. Kayo, the owner, makes an effort to truly connect with every guest and does everything she can to make their stay amazing. She went above and beyond in helping me search for my family history in Hiroshima. She even invited me to join her in the cheering section at a Hiroshima Carps baseball game where I learned the team chants and songs.

If you are a traveller looking for a more satisfying experience than your average hostel, please come here. Chat with Kayo, meet her other interesting guests, and you will not want to leave.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Excellent for those who love a homey atmosphere, which goes perfectly with the culture of Hiroshima. Its facilities are what you'd expect from a normal house in Japan, and its location in a quiet and safe neighborhood adds to its charm.

What separates this hostel from the others (and what makes it a home) is the hospitality of the host, Kayo. She engages each guest in a genuine way, which made our stay feel very comfortable and enjoyable.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank locker47
Ikoma, Japan
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Only stayed for a night and it was really crowded since it was a holiday, yet Kayo was still able to accommodate all of us. She's very helpful and I felt right at home. Would definitely stay over again :D I already miss her~~ Might be tricky to find the place at first, but that's just because I'm pretty bad with directions (Shrug)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends