“A beautiful building with under par service and rooms”

ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe
Ranked #9 of 119 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past few years right from the time it was the pride and joy of Kobe and was called the Shin Kobe Oriental Hotel. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Today, this property has only its location, exterior and lobby to boast for. Everything else such as the rooms, service etc are way below par. The housekeeping and front desk are absolutely unhelpful to even the easiest of requests like asking for an iron. The response was that if they had it, they would bring it.

Changing money was like asking them to give it for free. Even with the ridiculous rate they were offering, we were ready and most often they would not change the money to Yen saying they did not have any.

The rooms are shoddy and furniture is chipping away. The toilets are completely outdated and are crying out for help. We had executive rooms which were of a very good size but there was no air conditioning in the entire hotel. It was boiling hot in the rooms and the staff grudgingly came into our rooms and opened the "emergency exit", which was a small window towards the floor of the room.

Housekeeping was horrific!!! Glasses were not cleaned, beds were made as if the person making them had to catch a train in the next two minutes and was rushing. One evening i could not find some items i had left behind on the bed and saw them all under the covers!!! The bed had been made with the items under them.

Breakfast was a joke! Someone, please teach the chef how to cook eggs. All eggs do not have to be drippy and look like insipid "omu rice" type! Almost everything was processed food and the variety was dismal.

I think this hotel relies purely on groups for their business because they were there in droves. There was one particular group of young japanese boys, must have been at least a 100 of them, that pushed everyone aside and jumped into the elevators. What happened to the Japanese hospitality?

This, unfortunately will be my last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dubaiite
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear dubaiite,
Thank you very much for your comments following your stay at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as all your comments will allow us to becoming better in creating a great hotel that our guests love.
Please accept my apologies for the sub-standard service you received and rest assured that our staff will be retrained in order to give a better service in the future. As for the room condition, our hotel's 26 years of age are starting to show and we will be addressing this issue with our owner to put it back to nowadays standards.
Again, thank you for telling us how we can improve in the future,
With my best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,137)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My stay at the Crowne Plaza Kobe was a lengthy one. Over 6 months in total with only 2 trips back to the States to see the family. It's been a while now and I'm not sure if the same staff members are still working up on the 31st floor but they were AWESOME! It's tough being away from family but the staff always started my day off proper during breakfast and greeted us in the evenings with cold beverages heavy h'ordeuvres. Only place to stay in Kobe!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank johncmitchell3
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear johncmitchell3,
Thank you very much for your recent review of your last stay with us.
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the service and facilities we offer.
Your home away from home is waiting for your return anytime.
I will be very proud to pass on your comments to our club lounge colleagues.
Looking forward to welcoming you again,

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have now stayed at ANA Crowne Plaza in Kobe 4 times and regard it as "home" while in Japan.

The hotel is mid range and a little dated in décor. However, the service is anything but mid range and dated. Efficient, courteous and helpful at all times. Nothing is too much trouble to do quickly and efficiently.

As an example, I was having a drink in the exec lounge and sampling some of the Japanese "canapés". Not knowing what they were or how to eat, I pressed on regardless. One of the young ladies working there, Leila from Brazil, noted my "lack of knowledge". She asked me if I was familiar with the local foods on offer, giving me the opportunity to learn rather than making me feel stupid. I said no, and she gave me a run down on each. She did not have to do this, but it came so naturally, I am sure she looks after customers this way regularly.

It is the little things that count, not the size of the bathroom.

Room Tip: Try an executive room. Not a lot extra, but it includes breakfast in the exec lounge, business facil...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
JeanRaphael, Directeur général at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Ian T,
Greetings from your home away from home!
Thank you for staying recently in our hotel. I am very happy that you can call this home, now, and more than pleased that you appreciate our service. I am sure that Leila, with whom I will share your comment, will be thrilled to see that her excellent service has not gone unnoticed.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Kobe soon, and I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet with you then.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel location is close to the Shinkansen and subway.
Breakfast is buffet style. The menu and quality are quite high. I love this hotel for stay and eating for breakfast. If you have not time dinner time. You can go to B3F for Daiei - Supermarket. It is useful to buy something for a quick dinner at the room.
Finally, very clean hotel and good staff working at the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear IchiryoS,
Thank you very much for sratying at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe recently.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our buffet breakfast.
We are indeed proud of it with more than 60 different kinds of food on display.
I will convey your comment on the staff as well as they are always keen to receive kudos.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel next time you are in Kobe.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is amazing!! The rooms are large and clean, excelent amenities and close to Shin-Kobe station. The staff are also amazing and are friendly and more then happy to help you with anything you need. Great View too!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear natjayne81,
Thank you for your recent stay in our hotel and well, thank you very much for posting such a nice comment.
I am particularly happy because it seems that we have been able to reach your expectations and live by our vision, which is the create a Great hotel that guests love.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Kobe,

Reviewed 1 February 2014

A big room, a great view, a large comfy bed, a decent internet connection, and an easy location next to the shinkansen (bullet train) station. But the place is not without its problems - there was not only a queue for check-in but also then a 10 minute queue for the lift to the room, (although we did not have a problem subsequently). The rooms have a strange arrangement with the washbasin outside the bathroom behind a screen from the rest of the bedroom. It works ok until you get up in the night when lights and water disturb a partner in a way that doesnt happen in a normal bathroom. And temperature control seems to be non-existent - maybe its different when the a/c is on in the summer - but in winter if you are hot you are staying that way.
Breakfast was pretty good (more fresh fruit would be good) in a nice bright room, though quite how the bacon contains eggs as they warn you escapes me. And as elsewhere in Japan the staff are unfailingly polite and as helpful as they can be.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Andy1w,
Thank you for staying at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe in January 2014.
We are quite happy that you had a good experience at our hotel, especially that you enjoyed your bed and our staff service.
I have noted your comments on the waiting time upon check-in and or the elevator and I have asked the front desk manager and our engineer to look into this issue to solve it.
As for the AC and the wash basin issue, we are looking into a renovation program to upgrade all our bathrooms and having a self controlled AC in each room. I cannot unfortunately give you a time frame on this but will as soon as the works are approved.
Thank you again for your patronage and we hope to be able to welcoming you again soon in Kobe.
With my best regards

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I'm in Kobe in every three months and always stay here.
The rooms are good, but only if you don't choose economy/single. Finally they have a fast internet connection, which is included in room price. If you have a city view room, the panorama is amazing. The best point is, that Shin-Kobe station is in walking distance (actually connected with the hotel by a passage).
The negative point is, that the gym is not included in the room fee, and you cannot enter the pool with tattoos.

Room Tip: City view!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
JeanRaphael, General Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Biguss,

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your last stay with us.
I am particularly happy that you enjoyed our fast internet connection that we provide for free in all rooms.
Next time you visit us, please try a room on the club floors as gym and pool usage is included.
Regarding the ban on tattoos, it is a culturally sensitive issue here in Japan and most hotel and public pools have the same stance.
We are definitively looking forward to welcoming you again in Kobe soon,
With my best regards