“Excellent Traditional Japanese Experience ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gion Hatanaka

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gion Hatanaka
Ranked #38 of 363 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Traditional Japanese Experience ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I were wow'd when we were shown our room. It was everything we expected of an authentic Japanese accommodation experience. The room was beautifully laid out. Immaculately clean. The toilet was the most advanced smart toilet I've seen throughout my travels of China, Seoul and Japan. The bathroom, which we didn't use because we made use of the public baths, looked really nice with a bath tub and shower.

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and conversational in English. They showed us to our room and gave a guided tour of the room itself.

There is excellent wifi in the rooms.

The hotel has a curfew of midnight.

We did not sample any meals from the hotel during our stay so I can not comment on this.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mustansar H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Beautiful place, great location right in the middle of the Gion district with all its hidden gems.

The Ryoken it self is very quaint and immaculate and offers the full experience we wanted.

Highly recommended, both my girlfriend and I were very happy as we spent a little more than we usually would for accommodation on this place.

Must try the onsen, surprisingly relaxing for being naked in a room full of strangers!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samuel F
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We got pretty much what we expected really from our stay at the Gion Hatakanaka and that is what we wanted, a taste of the traditional Japanese lifestyle and hospitality, a change from our usual style of hotel accommodation.
We loved the room, a superior twin room, with sitting room and adjoining sleeping quarters, private bathroom with deep, square wooden bath and separate shower and toilet. It was air conditioned (definitely a must in a Kyoto summer), had a TV, tea/coffee making facilities and even a mini bar (mainly stocked with beer, another must in a Kyoto summer).
Our room attendant didn't speak English, but that didn't really matter, we still managed to communicate and have a giggle together. The staff at Reception all spoke very good English.
Dinner and breakfast were included in our package and we also booked the Japanese banquet with Maiko experience. This was a real treat and the highlight of our stay at Gion Hatakanaka for me.
A couple of negatives - they advertise wifi is available, but we could only access it in the foyer at reception. Unfortunately this is also the smoking area, so not very pleasant.
The food - weird and exotic things for breakfast! We coped with it for one morning, but opted for the western breakfast the second.
The cost - yes, this ryokan is very expensive. No doubt there are some more reasonably priced ryokans to be found in Kyoto.

Room Tip: We were near Reception and could hear activity so maybe ask to be placed towards the back of complex...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WAWSydney
NSW Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I'm not sure that I agree with all the reviews. Yes this is a high end Ryoken and I'm sure traditional. Obviously they didn't have heavy bags on wheels to go along the rugged pathway. They speak very little English and yes its all beautiful. I was very tired when I got there and definitely expected more. We chose to include the dinner and breakfast. I don't understand why you would go there without this. The food is exquisite. For me, I enjoyed the breakfast more. My husband and friends were quite blown away with the food. The accommodation is basic. If you like camping on a thin single mattress, you'll love it. My body however did not. My saving grace was that I visited the public bath house the next morning. This was my favorite experience in Japan. I was lucky not to share this except with a friend of mine. The products are beautiful, soft fluffy towels. You wash in a seated position before entering a bath, which looks like a pool. Oh was heaven!
The one night cost more than 5 nights at Hotel Sunline. I wouldn't do this again because of the very high cost and incredibly uncomfortable nights sleep but I'm glad of the experience.

Room Tip: I expect all rooms are similar.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
3 Thank SunnyDebW
Meath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have just returned from Japan after staying 3 nights in Gion Hatanaka. I absolutely loved this ryokan and would be delighted to go back. Our room was fabulous. We had 2 futon beds, a sitting area and a lovely deep wooden tub in the bathroom. The tub and shower was very much appreciated as we also stayed in a ryokan were the only washing option was in a public bath.

I cannot comment on the food as I am a picky eater and choose to eat familiar food!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've stayed now at the Gion Hatanaka three times and I can't imagine staying elsewhere in Kyoto. The location right next to the Yasaka shrine and the gorgeous park, on the edge of the ancient, charming Gion district is perfect. Everything is impeccable - the service, rooms, public bath and most of all, the food. Every dish at breakfast and dinner was perfection, beautifully served, and just the right amount. I'd recommend having at least one Japanese breakfast and dinner in the room and for other days trying out the many excellent local restaurants either in Gion or by the river. If you're on a budget, you can always pick up food at Lawsons around the corner. Another plus - the staff speaks excellent English and were unfailingly cheerful and accommodating. Nice little gifts to purchase in the lobby area too - I brought home a few packets of the ume tea which is sublime.

Room Tip: I think they're all good, never had a room here I didn't like.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I absolutely had the best experience ever in any hotel, ryokan, or any lodging place I've ever been to. The location was great, the place was wonderful, the food was awesome, and the staff and service was second to none. I will absolutely stay at Gion Hatanaka again when I visit Kyoto again. Thank you Gion Hatanaka for the wonderful experience :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo