“Perfect base for exploring Kyoto and surrounds”

Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Ranked #14 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I’ve stayed at Hotel Granvia Kyoto twice in the last ten years and found it excellent on both occasions.

The hotel is part of the Kyoto station complex, which is an architectural wonder that includes the hotel, the station platforms, a department store and various bars and restaurants, all housed in an amazingly futuristic structure. This makes it very convenient to access the areas in and around Kyoto by train or by taxi as there is a constant supply of them available in front of the station.

The hotel itself is high end, with multiple food options and a great top-floor bar looking out over the Kyoto Tower and the city lights.
There is also a great pool/spa/gym area but you have to pay extra to use it.

The rooms are generous by Japanese standards and very comfortable. It’s worth paying the extra to get a room with a view of the city.

The breakfast buffet is wonderful, with a huge variety of Western and Japanese food on offer.

The location, the service, the amenities and all of the entertainment options right outside the hotel make this a great base for exploring Kyoto.

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room if you don’t like smoke. The unrenovated ‘non-smoking’ rooms are located on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RoomReport

Reviewed 29 August 2014

We always stay at the Hotel Granvia when visiting Kyoto. Since navigating the tourist sites in Kyoto is complex, even for those of us who speak fluent Japanese, the Granvia is optimally situated in Kyoto Station for day trips. Despite its central location, it is incredibly quiet, and has so many restaurants, you could stay without ever leaving the hotel and the attached shopping mall in the station. From this central hotel, we visited Nara, old Kyoto, and a number of shrines. I would recommend getting to their ample breakfast buffet early though, it can get crowded at peak times.

Room Tip: Ask to look out on the city rather than the station.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

WE spent nearly a week at this delightful hotel, staff could not do enough for you, the rooms were above expectations, and the facilities were more modern and better than we have seen for some time.

It is central to most of the downtown Kyoto shopping, food and being above the railway line very easy to access.

WE wouold recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NGTY
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Hotel Granvia Kyoto is located right at the Kyoto Station facing the beautiful Kyoto Tower, with easy access to taxi, train, limousine to Osaka Kansai Airport, and not to mention a good department store Isetan and a few floors of eateries with ramen (noodles), yakitori (skewers), traditional Japanese cuisine, etc!

Washroom and shower bath tub facilities average, but reasonable price with significant discount for 3 nights above for my stay, spacious room, good value!!

Room Tip: You may choose a room facing the beautiful Kyoto Tower!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank joechchan
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Enjoyed staying at the hotel. Right at the Tokyo station and easy access with metro to the city, restaurants, sight seeing. Enjoyed the traditional Japanese spa/pool. Have your comfortable shoes and be pared to walk. Hotel restaurants are a bit pricey but many dining options nearby. Quick metro ride to the city. We visited the Nishki market on daily basis. Many artisan shops... there's a local udong shop at the entrance (base price is 100 yen) of the market - best bargain in Kyoto! Shops close early so plan your visit accordingly and a visit to Ginza is also a must :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We knew we made the right choice the moment we arrived by bullet train at Kyoto station, a masterpiece of new architectural design. I'm pretty picky about where I stay, but this hotel gets the highest marks I could give - a resounding 10, and here is why. We walked from the station into the beautiful hotel lobby expecting a long wait. Not only were we surprised when they had all of our information at their fingertips, but also at the fact that our luggage that was transferred by our hotel in Hakone, was waiting for us. Check in was quick and seamless. We asked for a room with a view on a high floor when we made the reservations, and they accommodated our request perfectly. Our room was spacious and immaculate. The bathroom was lovely with a tub and shower and a wonderful fully automatic Japanese toilet with heated seats and bidet (all built into the seat). There is free Wi-Fi, but we found it weak and not very responsive. We carried around our own hotspot and IPhone connected to Skype, for email, texts, and for making phone calls.
The hotel gave us a choice of several different breakfasts as part of our hotel package. The first day we had breakfast at the Italian restaurant and it was delicious and filling. The next day we had breakfast at a sumptuous buffet on the second floor with a choice of just about anything you could imagine.
One of the best parts of staying at this hotel is its location. Most buses in Kyoto start and stop here. Because it is the main train station in Kyoto, the bullet trains and the ever-pervasive JR line also stop here. It is possible to travel almost anywhere in Japan from the Kyoto station. Checking out and walking from the lobby of the hotel, directly into the train station without going outside, was glorious. The staff could not do enough for us. The concierge was far better than most and gave us detailed printouts whenever we wanted to go places, and they, or any of the staff never expected a gratuity (this is part of the culture of Japanese people). Below the hotel is an oasis of shopping. Setan is a huge modern department store with just about anything you could possibly want. The two bottom levels of the store provide opportunities to have fresh meals from vendors at very low cost. When we didn't want to go out at night, we simply bought food and had a feast in our room.
I really think that the hotel Granvia is the very best place to stay in Kyoto.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a view of the tower.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank AppletreeTraveler
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel is located just in the Kyoto Station so it’s super convenient to anywhere no matter in Kyoto or other cities. Think about it, after a long day travel, you can go back to your room directly after getting off the train or bus without any more walk! As a landmark, it’s nearly impossible for you to be lost your way back to the hotel. Also, it’s quite quiet even in station.

It’s a quite standard business/leisure hotel I’ll say, include all the functions you need. Though it’s not new but very clean and well maintained. The room is quite big for Japanese standard. There are a lot of restaurants in or next to the hotel. As it’s in the central station, you can find nearly everything next to the hotel which is very convenient.

The service here impressed me a lot. I’m keen on Japanese cuisine so asked the concierge to help me make some reservations before I arrived. Unfortunately one on my wish list was not available, but the concierge recommended another restaurant which was very nice and even cheaper! I’ve seen so many young concierge who have good attitude but limited knowledge of the really good things in town, Granvia is not one of them. Besides, they also helped me buy the train tickets with my very specific requirements. Upon my arrival, they passed me all the booking cards together with each restaurants’ map and contact, so sweet.

I checked out in the afternoon and left to Osaka, in the midnight I suddenly found I probably left some clothes in the room. Then I called the hotel and asked if they could check the HSKP found anything in my room. However, the HSKP might be off as it was after 12 that time, but the guy who picked up my phone asked for my number and promised to call me back in the morning to follow up. However, I didn’t receive any call from him till 11am, so I called the hotel again. This time the phone was transferred to HSKP directly and they found my stuff quickly. I was so appreciated when they sent back my stuff to my hotel in Osaka, however, I’d be more than impressed if the guy didn’t forget to call me that morning instead of my reaching them again.

In all, I highly recommend Granvia Kyoto!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends