See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

I stayed in three hotels on my trip and this was the first and my favorite. It needs updating as an American used to nicely updated hotels but it wasn’t dirty by any means. The ac doesn’t work in winter or early spring since it’s out of season but that’s anywhere overseas so no big deal. If you seriously need ac buy a fan. I opened the window in the early mornings while I was getting ready to leave and that worked just fine to cool me off. Shower and bathroom were clean and had nice hot water. Breakfast was very traditional Japanese and I found it hard to eat but there’s a Lawson convenience store a block away so I was able to compensate for my lack of breakfast food that I’m used to. I didn’t need help from the staff so I don’t know if anyone spoke English. I will definitely stay here again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2018

This hotel is located a bit outside of the main attractions of Kyoto but it's really easy to move around by bus (or even on foot). I used the taxi a lot, especially in the evening (it's convenient when there is more than 2 people to pay the fare). Our rooms where really big (by Japan standard), the western twin had 2 beds, an entrance with a sink, nice furnished bathroom, tv, kettle, fridge, tea set, wardrobe and a nice view. There is a public bath where you can wash or soak in nice onsen-like water. The staff spoke little to no english so be carefull. Breakfast was more japanese oriented but you won't starve. I suggest reading what you are booking because the rooms are really different (some doesn't have a shower).

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the western half of the hotel but the room still felt Japanese which was nice. The hotel is most definitely outdated and in need of some modernization, but it was clean. The staff were helpful and polite. There is a public bath but we never plucked the courage up to visit and of the baths in Japan. Walking distance to several Shrines/Temples and shops. Overall an okay stay, but wished we had stayed in the Four Seasons across the street.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Very inexpensive, the interior ranges from decent looking to faded. Not good for Americans, but busloads of American tours were filling the rooms this week. The front desk staff could not understand my explanation in English that the air conditioning did not work in our room, on a warm muggy night in April. The other modest hotels that I stayed at this week, had bilingual front desk staff, even out in the countryside. The only rude person I met in Japan was the Tozankuku night clerk who hung up on me when she was not able to understand me. It turns out that they override the AC from a control console in the office, and are not willing to allow them to be turned on "out of season." The rooms were clean enough, but battered with tears in the wallpaper and chips in the paint. Worst (cheapest) breakfast in the hotel, of the tour.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

Pros:
- friendly staff
- authentic experience
- close to bus and trains
- onsen right in the hotel
- the Japanese dinner is a major feast

Cons:
- this is a con only if you're used to fancy hotels; the building is dated and feels dated. I liked it, however, because it reminded me so much of the movies I watched as a child.

We stayed in a Japanese room with tatami and we sleep in futons every night. The staff comes in the evening to lay it out for you. Every day there is a different local sweet for us. I so want to stay here more often!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple