“If you don’t have much experience staying at a ryokan, you will enjoy every bit of Ohanabo.”
Review of Hokkaikan Ohanabo

Hokkaikan Ohanabo
Ranked #13 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Been to Kyoto many times. This time, stayed at this Ryokan with a family of 4, who had not been to Kyoto before. When I made my booking, told them that the 5 of us would like to stay in one big room. Compared to many of the ryokans I have stayed in, this ryokan is relatively small. In particular, I am a Japanese bath lover. The public bath area only sits 6, the smallest I have seen. Other than this, the location is excellent, the staff knows how to impress foreigners, and the entire ryokan is very clean and looks new. Two things that impressed me much: First, dinner is served in the room (breakfast serves in their public area). When I told them that we are not used to kneeling the Japanese way, and hence, would prefer a table, they immediately changed all our chairs and tables in a snap. Second, the Kyoto-style dinner is very enjoyable, inviting to your eyes and appetite.
So overall, I agree with all the comments on Tripadvisor. Most of their staff can manage English, a very user-friendly ryokan for foreigners. I will surely recommend Ohanabo to people who don’t travel to Japan too frequently.

Room Tip: Staying at ryokan, you don't tell them how many rooms you need. Tell them how many people sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nammay

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The service we experienced at this little ryokan was the highlight of our Japan trip. They were professional, friendly, helpful and it made our stay very memorable.

The food presentation was beautiful and it tasted fantastic. Definitely have to do the dinner at the ryokan.

I left an item behind in the room but only realized it when I was already on the Shinkansen.

I called them to inform them and they asked for my home address and mailed it back to me.

The item was very well packed and it got to be in just three days! I was really delighted to see that they had sent my item back to me in Singapore, and with no charges too!

If I go back to Kyoto, I'll definitely stay there again!

Amazing. =)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dearapril
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our family recently stayed at this ryokan for three nights, located across from the Higashi Hongwangi Temple, and only five minutes from the Kyoto Station. There are restaurants, convenience stores, a bike rental and many shops all within walking distance. You are greeted by the friendly staff and treated like
royalty throughout the stay. We had a very spacious room for a family of four on the second floor with private bath. Although the weather was hot and humid, the ryokan had strong air conditioning, making our stay very pleasant. We opted for the Japanese breakfast each day which is served downstairs in a common area dining room. In addition to the traditional miso soup, salmon and rice, every morning featured fresh tofu prepared a different way. The meal was delicious and served with the gracious hospitality we enjoyed throughout the stay.

The futons were cleaned while we dined and later upon our return in the evening, laid out for a restful sleep. Although the ryokan fronts a fairly busy street, it is well insulated and quiet. Although the inn was full, we rarely heard our neighbors. The owners offered wonderful dining suggestions and assisted in calling cabs for us. Our last night, we opted for the sukiyaki dinner which was delicious. This was a real treat- we highly recommend this for a truly unique Japanese experience. The cost ran fro $105-112 per night per person. Well worth every penny!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sharkisland
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The stay was amazing - if was our splurge, and only for one night, but it was so worth it. Beautiful authentic-looking ryokan with gorgeous wooden staircases and immaculate hot tubs/baths . Attentive staff happy to guide you to whatever you need and the most intricate, delicate, and beautifully prepared breakfast I've ever had. What a fantastic treat!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emma C
Reviewed 2 August 2013

From the moment we arrived at Ohanabo, we immediately knew we had discovered one of Kyotos hidden gems.

It has a really genuine traditional Japanese Ryokan feel about it. Ohanabo is close enough to the Kyoto station, to enjoy a leisurely stroll to the hub of all attractions. Yet far enough away, to escape the hustle and bustle.

The staff there are incredibly friendly and accommodating and genuinely make you feel like you are part of the family. Everytime we came home, we were excited to see their beaming faces greet us and ask about our day. They made a real effort to ensure we enjoyed our stay.

On our 3rd day, we were upgraded free of charge to a more premium spacious room. This is the kind of service that sets Ohanabo in a class of it's own.

Without any hesitation, we give Ohanabo our highest recommendation and are looking forward to returning again next time we visit Kyoto.

Richard & Shamie

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rickdigital
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I, along with friends stayed at Ohanabo for 3 nights in June 2013. We consider ourselves very lucky to have been able to stay here. The staff were absolutely fabulous, so helpful and friendly. The location perfect as it is only 5-10 mins walk from the train/bus station. Along the way to Ohanabo from the train station there are small convenience stores and many restaurants - loved this. The rooms are very clean, spacious and comfortable. I couldn't recommend this place enough!!
Thank you so much Ohanabo!

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in room 201 and it was fabulous. If you can, try and get this room as it has...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank kelmat2013
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We are a family of 4 and stayed at Ohanabo for three nights, we also had the breakfast and dinner one night. This was our favorite place that we stayed in Japan. The staff are amazing and nice and so helpful. The Ryokan was so clean, spotless. Food was amazing and the experience was authentic. At first I thought that they were expensive, but they aren't and it is worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family