“Super friendly staff”
Review of Hokkaikan Ohanabo

Hokkaikan Ohanabo
Ranked #7 of 373 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We only stayed in one ryokan so don't have anything to compare it to, but this appeared to be a great ryokan, the staff were extremely friendly, it was clean, bedding was comfortable for a ryokan and the dinner and breakfast were of a high Japanese standard. They give you Japanese robes in which to eat your dinner which is fun, and will help explain how to dress in them. My only complaint would be that the dinner is served up all very quickly - you seem to get about 10-15 plates at the same time, some of which were hot and had to be eaten before it go too cold, so we felt like we were a little rushed.

Overall however I'm not sure a ryokan is for us on a long term basis... it is rather regimented, and you need to be out of the rooms during the day which is problematic if it raining/you have jetlag etc. For example, they phoned us down for breakfast 1 min past our our exact agreed time so we went down but I hadn't slept at all well so was hoping to come back up afterwards and lie down, but by the time we returned after breakfast the room and bedding were all packed up.

Overall however we thought it was an interesting experience, at a reasonable price and as the others have said, the staff were amazingly friendly and cheery.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hokkaikan Ohanabo

Reviewed 10 October 2013

You couldn't ask for a better ryokan experience - exceptionally kind & helpful staff, very comfortable accommodation, and above all AMAZING food! Located less than 10 minutes walk (with luggage) from Kyoto station, Hokkaikan Ohanabo is the perfect spot to base while visiting Kyoto. Ayako and her staff really do go out of their way to ensure that you have a wonderful time. We were lucky to spend two nights but really wish we could have spent more time! We will definitely be returning!!!

Room Tip: Located on a busy street, you might want to ask for a room near the back of the building. We had a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank helidog
Reviewed 23 September 2013

There are no words to describe how nice the people are at this ryokan. The meals are also top notch and so beautifully served. The location is convenient to the train station and is a good home base for sightseeing. Not sure when I will return to Kyoto, but when I do I will stay there again. Loved it!!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank DoreenBi
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed at this Ryokan for one night. Everyone we dealt with was so nice! The Ryokan is a short walk from Kyoto station and easy to find. We arrived early, and left our bags before heading out for the rest of the day. When we returned, our bags were in our room along with a variety of robes and toiletries laid out for us. We had dinner and Japanese breakfast and both meals were amazing. As the food was served, we were told about each course and ordered a bottle of sake to go with our dinner - the price was very reasonable. After dinner, they cleared the table and laid out our futons. Very comfortable! It was quite warm when we were there and the air conditioning worked well. When we were ready to leave, it was raining and the owner came out to help us get a taxi, put our bags in the taxi and told the taxi driver where we needed to go! Overall, a great stay and with really nice people! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grw519
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and I spent one night at this lovely Ryokan in Kyoto during our honeymoon to Japan.

We arrived early (unexpectedly), which did not phase the lovely owners, as they were able to accommodate us without hesitation. The location of this Ryokan is perfect: literally a five minute walk from the main Kyoto train station.

We had the pleasure of experiencing the dinner at this Ryokan, which was an experience we will never forget: The food, service, and presentation of the dishes was phenomenal and worthy of Michelin stars.

The beds and pillows were shockingly comfortable and do not be deterred by the prospect of sleeping on mattresses directly on the floor, as they were extremely cozy.

I highly recommend this Ryokan and hope to one day visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JWCXRAY
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Been to Kyoto many times. This time, stayed at this Ryokan with a family of 4, who had not been to Kyoto before. When I made my booking, told them that the 5 of us would like to stay in one big room. Compared to many of the ryokans I have stayed in, this ryokan is relatively small. In particular, I am a Japanese bath lover. The public bath area only sits 6, the smallest I have seen. Other than this, the location is excellent, the staff knows how to impress foreigners, and the entire ryokan is very clean and looks new. Two things that impressed me much: First, dinner is served in the room (breakfast serves in their public area). When I told them that we are not used to kneeling the Japanese way, and hence, would prefer a table, they immediately changed all our chairs and tables in a snap. Second, the Kyoto-style dinner is very enjoyable, inviting to your eyes and appetite.
So overall, I agree with all the comments on Tripadvisor. Most of their staff can manage English, a very user-friendly ryokan for foreigners. I will surely recommend Ohanabo to people who don’t travel to Japan too frequently.

Room Tip: Staying at ryokan, you don't tell them how many rooms you need. Tell them how many people sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nammay
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The service we experienced at this little ryokan was the highlight of our Japan trip. They were professional, friendly, helpful and it made our stay very memorable.

The food presentation was beautiful and it tasted fantastic. Definitely have to do the dinner at the ryokan.

I left an item behind in the room but only realized it when I was already on the Shinkansen.

I called them to inform them and they asked for my home address and mailed it back to me.

The item was very well packed and it got to be in just three days! I was really delighted to see that they had sent my item back to me in Singapore, and with no charges too!

If I go back to Kyoto, I'll definitely stay there again!

Amazing. =)