“Feel the warm of this Japanese ryokan in the city!”
Review of Ohanabo

Ohanabo
Ranked #4 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Feel the warm of this Japanese ryokan in the city!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is the first time I pay a visit to Kyoto and I am delighted to have a chance to stay with this ryokan. Keiko, one of the person in charge has helped me a lot with the reservation and guided me around the Kyoto city. I travelled here with my mother and she fell in love with this place as well the ryokan and the staffs. Both of us, mother and daughter took lots of picture with the beautiful yukata provided in the room with different colors and we just love the whole room. Although it may be a bit pricey, but I don't mind paying for it. It took around 15minutes for me to reach Kyoto station. It is quite hard to find the ryokan but I think this is the most well located and beautiful ryokan in the city. When we reached, we were greeted by a lady and she showed me around the house and my room even before check in time. When I asked for the direction, she can guided us very well and we save a lot by taking bus. We only managed to stay for a night as the other day was fully booked. So, we need to check in to another hotel. The owner's wife of the house was so friendly and kind to drive us to another hotel without any charges. Upon our check out, she gives us a pack of Japanese sweet. The staffs was too kind that they'll arranged your shoes and put it in the cupboard and take out when you planned to go out. The breakfast was served in big portion and hot. We feel thankful and we respect for each and every staffs for their services. You can expect everything you want and experience the life of Japanese living standards.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AdelineGAT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I meant to write a detailed review about this wonderful guesthouse, but after reading the comments from the other guests just now I could see that it was not necessary. I would just be repeating the nice things other travellers have already said. I would testify, though, that all those titles extolling the place are no exaggeration indeed.

Still, there is one additional remark to make and one story to tell.

The remark: We can safely say that, of all the ryokans and hotels we have stayed at during our trip to Japan in the last two weeks, Ohanabo serves the best breakfast and provides the best service. The breakfast is as much a feast to the eye as to the taste bud while the service demonstrates their earnestness and attention to the smallest details.

The story: While having breakfast one morning, I asked one of the staff members where to buy the CD with the soothing Japanese koto music they were playing. She said she would ask the colleague to whom the CD belonged. That evening, when we went back to the ryokan after a day of sightseeing, we were greeted by the owner’s wife, who were wearing her broadest smile and holding in her hands a few CDs of Hikaru Sawai the koto player, wrapped in a beautiful scarf, along with a couple of small gifts. That a casual shopping question would lead to such a lovely gesture was beyond our wildest dreams, and we were particularly touched when we learned that the unbelievable generosity was from a room cleaning lady. What a shining example of Japanese hospitality!

We were truly thankful that we had begun and finished our journey to Japan with respective stays at Ohanabo. On Day One, we arrived a few hours ahead of the check-in time after an overnight flight with hardly any sleep and were graciously allowed to use the room. On the final day, we left the great place and people, taking with us lots of sweet memories and melodies.

According to TripAdvisor, Ohanabo is “ranked #2 of 193 Kyoto B&B and inns”. Having been so blown away by the guesthouse, I can’t help asking, can you really top that?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevinChan_12
お花坊予約担当者, オーナー at Ohanabo, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for staying Ohanabo and your comment on this page.
I was very happy to see you again this time.
We are also happy that you enjoyed stay at Ohanabo.
Your nice words cheered up all of us works here.
Thank you for the nice souvenir as well. It was very delicious.

We are looking forward to see you again in Ohanabo!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The people here are very friendly and welcoming, especially after coming from the cold efficiency of hotel staff in Tokyo. It's expensive but worth it if you value the experience. If you're just looking for the best value for quality/luxury, this is the wrong choice. It was fun to stay here for a night but I'm glad I didn't stay longer. After one night I was ready to get back to a normal bed/bathroom situation. The dinner and breakfast were an amazing part of the experience, so I definitely recommend paying for board.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
お花坊予約担当者, オーナー at Ohanabo, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for choosing Ohanabo and your comment.

We will keep trying to have Kyoto's traditional atomosphere in this ryokan.

We look forward to your next visit!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stumbled across this place whilst trying to find somewhere to stay during cherry blossom season! Luckily they had one room left and it definately was lucky!

This place is pricey (as a lot of traditional places are) but it is worth it for the service you get.

They allow people not staying at the ryokan to use the onsen, which I am not so keen on, but that is the only downside. Know your onsen etiquette before using one, because I saw a girl enter, not rinse and walk straight into the hot bath with knickers on...the Japanese women in the bath discreetly left and it was clear to me they felt uncomfortable.

Very traditional place, where you can receive the full-on ryokan experience. It is also greatly located for the station. I walked from here to everywhere...even Kyoto Imperial Palace! It takes about 10 minutes to get to Gion.

Know to the staff...I cannot say enough how great they were. I had a mix up with my accommodation, which is not good when you are in Kyoto, during cherry blossom season, as the place packs out. One of the staff took it upon herself to help me and she went waaaaaayyyy above and beyond to help me out....and gave me tips to make sure I got a good deal.

If this place is in your price range then definately, definately, definately book her! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Know your onsen etiquette before using it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Nouskie
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived earlier than check-in time but they kindly kept our luggage while we explored until the evening. The staff were more than friendly and helped us plan our sightseeing for the day on the first day. I cannot say enough good things about the staff here!! They are all smiles and always willing to help with anything you need. We also had laundry to do, which they kindly did for us for 300 yen. I've stayed at other ryokans and I would say this place is the best bang-for-your-buck in terms of getting an authentic, traditional ryokan experience. Try the breakfast or dinner at least once during your stay, you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
お花坊予約担当者, オーナー at Ohanabo, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for your comment!

In Ohanabo, we are anytime ready to welcome you with full of our smiles.
Your smiles make us happy as well.

We are looking forward to seeing you again!
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while in Kyoto. The ryokan is easy to find on Karasuma Dori (a main road), however if you are coming from the station, make sure you take an exit on the Kyoto tower side of the station, or you will get lost!

The staff were very lovely and helpful, carrying our bags up the stairs and to our room. When we went out and said we needed a taxi, they quickly went outside to hail one down for us! Absolutely wonderful staff with good English and recommendations of what to eat and where if you are not having the kaiseki dinner. They also loaned us an umbrella, and when we returned with wet feet, gave us towels at the entrance.

The dinner was quite an experience! Beautifully presented food which was interesting and different as you put each item in your mouth often wondering what it was exactly! There is a lot of food though, so make sure you have your lunch/afternoon snack a long time before eating the dinner! If you cannot sit on the floor so well, the staff will bring you a small chair for at the table, which was great for my mum who has a bad back and hip.

The onsen was lovely, although very hot and can get a little crowded if a few people have the same idea at the same time. Probably not something for someone shy or prude to venture to, however I would recommend giving it a go, even if it's only for 5 minutes.

I found the bed very comfortable, even though it's on the floor.

The western breakfast was great! Everything you could ever want and just as filling as the dinner the previous night. Included was fruit, toast, croissants, eggs, bacon, cereal with milk, yoghurt and so much more!

A great traditional ryokan experience, and something I will never forget. Thank you so much to the excellent staff who really did go above and beyond for us!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucy H
お花坊予約担当者, オーナー at Ohanabo, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for staying here for 2 nights!
We are happy that you remember about us a lot
and you enjoyed the stay here.

Please come here back anytime to experience
the Japanese style bed and to eat dinner!
singapore
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with my girlfriend + my girlfriend's brother and wife. It was pretty near kyoto train station, took abit maybe 5 - 10 minutes walk.

Totally perfect, the staff was excellent, they were ever so polite, helpful and happy to greet and see us. They recommended nice restaurants to eat at and places to go. Lent us umbrellas when it rained. Wonderful yukatas!

The 1st night, we had the kaiseki dinner and the beef just melts in your mouth. TOO AMAZING. the breakfast the next day was also super awesome. Their miso soup was awesome (i'm not a big fan of miso soup)!!

You do pay quite a bit for this, but hey totally worth it if you do!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
お花坊予約担当者, オーナー at Ohanabo, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your comment.
It's good you liked our food.
We will keep making safe, delicious food so please visit us anytime again!