“A great staying”
Review of Eco and Tec Kyoto

Eco and Tec Kyoto
Ranked #16 of 373 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We really liked this one. The quiet but well located place, the idea of not changing your towels and sheets every day (but every 3), the petit breakfast included in a very reasonable place, the computer for internet, the shared spaces, the massaging chair for free! The staff was very helpful, lots of brochures and maps available. The room was small, as is often in Japan, but clean. As backpackers, we really appreciated the laundry facilities. I would most definitely choose this hotel as a first choice if I ever will be back to Kyoto.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dannythyboy
There are newer reviews for Eco and Tec Kyoto

Reviewed 20 June 2013

The room was very tiny - particularly relevant when you have large suitcases in tow. In typical Japanese style there was everything you needed in the room as long as you could find it. Every inch of space is utilised in a very practical way. Like a previous reviewer we found the beds to be very hard but slept surprisingly well. The breakfast was really not worth bothering with - a little basket containing three tiny oversweet pastries. Having said that there was always an endless supply of tea and coffee plus a cold filtered water dispenser for which we were very grateful. The towels and sheets are only changed every 3 days unless you wish to pay extra but we dried our towels on the little clothesline outside without problem. There were no easy chairs in the public rooms (apart from two massage chairs) but obviously space is at a premium. A wonderful highlight was when a maiko came to the hotel and danced for us one afternoon - we also had the opportunity to ask her questions through an interpreter.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank minidriver49
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The hotel is in an excellent, quiet location, very handy to access most important site in Kyoto. It is extremely clean. The room was not large at all but it actually looked better than in the photos. If you are not planning to spend much time in your room (and why should you?) this place is perfect. Internet worked fantastically throughout the hotel. There is no safe in the room and towels are changed every three days only, but I did not find that to be a problem. The common area is very pleasant, especially the two massage chairs! They have a water dispenser, drinks machine and coffee throughout the day as well as a microwave. The staff hardly speak English but could speak enough to give basic information and were very helpful. There are plenty of information leaflets in the common area as well as several guidebooks. One thing I would remark is that I usually sleep with the air conditioning off and that turned out to be a big mistake the one night I did as I totally got eaten by insects.... so air conditioning was on all night, every night. The breakfast offered is a token gesture of good will but far from being wonderful, just a nice treat not leave the place on an empty stomach in the morning. To summarise, I booked this hotel based on the reviews here and I dont regret it, great value, great location, super clean and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sissi2702
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel and 'excellent' review - location, price, features, breakfast buns, balcony,all wonderful. However, two things prevent me from doing so. Number one - the beds. Very hard, like sleeping-on-the-floor hard. Being in my 50's, I slept through the night but woke with hips and back aching (this usually doesn't happen to me in hotels)..ouch..the free massage chairs in the lobby helped, so that was nice. Number two - no elevator. Managed ok, but could be a problem for folks with knee issues. So, if you can handle these two issues, you should stay here! can't beat the location and price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Boise_IdahoKitty39
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My wife and I ended up staying in Eco and Tec several more nights than we had planned. As others have pointed out, this place is a super deal for those of us looking for reasonably priced lodgings. The rooms are small but really, we spent very little time in them because the Higashiyama area around it is a fantastic location to explore. Plus, the lounge area has two fully functioning massage chairs and after a long day of walking, we just hung out there getting a massage and having tea.
A word about the staff - the most gracious, helpful bunch of folks we ran into on our travels through Japan. No request was too much - they were ever ready to give us information, call taxis, save us some money by pointing out deals - whatever we needed, they were there to help.
I highly recommend this spot - rent one of their bikes and explore away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artstew5
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Eco and Tec is a great budget option if you're visiting Kyoto - located very near the Higashiyama Metro Station, and multiple bus lines that go to virtually all of the top tourist sites in Kyoto area. Rooms are definitely cramped, but from what I understand par for the course for the area. Very comfortable and clean though. The hotel's lounge is spacious and very conducive to socializing or just spreading out guidebooks and maps to get travel plans put together. All in all, a solid choice if visiting the Kyoto area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jiyen1213
Reviewed 28 May 2013

###Good###

Location:
This hotel is in the quiet residential area that is very safe. Although it is not in the prime tourist area, the subway station is within the walking distance. It is also close to the convenience store which you can find any cheap-eat food.

Room:
I stayed in the triple room. The room was very clean and comfortable-not that small.

Remark
I would remind the others that this hotel doesn’t provide daily room cleaning-the rooms will be cleaned every four? (can’t remember exact number) nights. If you prefer the daily room cleaning, this hotel will charge you for this service. I have no problem with this policy as long as the room when I check in is clean. : )

###So-So###

Service:
Some staffs can speak English-not that fluent but adequate to communicate. Any way, all of them are helpful and polite.

Breakfast:
This hotel provides only THREE SMALL PIECES OF BREADS/PASTRIES with tea of coffee. It is not enough for me.

###Don’t like###

No elevator:
This hotel is not wheelchair-friendly. If you have heavy bags, the staffs are pleased to carry them to your room.

###Conclusion###

Over expectation for the budget hotel=>good price & location, clean and safe.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family