“A good, (relatively) inexpensive introduction to kaiseki cuisine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kyoto Kitcho Hotel Granvia-branch

Kyoto Kitcho Hotel Granvia-branch
Ranked #537 of 12,167 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Shimogyo-ku
Renton, Washington
“A good, (relatively) inexpensive introduction to kaiseki cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We went to Kyoto Kitcho on a weekday night. The restaurant was slightly difficult to find even though we knew it was situated at Hotel Granvia/Kyoto station. We had to ask the front desk staff at the Hotel Granvia to help us locate the restaurant. I believe it was on the second or third floor of the hotel. We arrived a little before our reservation time but they took us to our table immediately.

It was interesting to note that the restaurant seemed only to be half full when we arrived. When we finished dinner, we were the only people in the restaurant!

Our waitress struggled describing the menu in English, but I definitely did not hold it against her because she tried her best as she delivered each course. She was extremely attentive during the entire dinner and assisted us multiple times especially when we ate the rice/tofu dish.

I had a hard time understanding the differences between the options we had - prices started from 11550 yen and up. We decided just to take the least expensive kaiseki set. Note, we sat in the communal area with the separate tables. You can also eat in private rooms if you spend a certain amount of money for the meal.

Our eight course meal consisted of the following (as taken from the Kyoto Kitcho website):

Aperitif, mukozuke (seasonal fish), soup, sashimi, appetizer, grilled dish, simmered or steamed dish, rice, pickles, and dessert

I don't remember all the items we ate because there were so many. One extremely nice aspect of the dinner is that they provide you with a hot rock where you can grill your fish! This is extremely helpful for people who do not like sushi - like my travel companion. Sushi does make up a significant portion of the meal in terms of the sashimi, the person who doesn't like sashimi can grill up their raw fish right in front of them. This was a really nice touch!

As I recall, the aperitif served to us seemed to taste like a rice wine derivative. We also had a nice soup with radish and fish. The sashimi was good, but nothing spectacular. My favorite dish of the night was a tofu rice dish that was done extremely well, with the tofu on top of the rice. There was also a fried dish consisting of a few items. The dessert consisted of some pear slices and some ice cream. All items were beautifully presented on multiple dishes and visually appealing.

The total price for two was 23100 yen (app. $231 USD). This is actually considered relatively inexpensive kaiseki. The flagship Arashiyama branch of Kyoto Kitcho will cost you nearly 42000 yen per person for dinner! The restaurant is a great place to be introduced to kaiseki and I would recommend it for those kaiseki newbies (like us).

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank lsli88

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, CO
“Beautiful food and lots of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our party of 5 went to Kitcho Granvia our last night in Kyoto. I had read that if you visit Kyoto you really should try to have a Kaiseki meal and, having done so, I totally agree. We chose the Granvia due to its proximity to our hotel -- if I was to go again, I would probably choose one of the other highly rated restaurants. As others have said, there are numerous Kitcho's in Kyoto.
This restaurant is not much to look at -- I was surprised at how plain the decor was -- and its location is along the row of many restaurants inside the Granvia hotel. However, the staff is lovely and extremely service oriented. Although little English was exchanged, we were able to communicate the important things (we had one in our party with some Japanese skills) -- so be aware if you have no Japanese that communication will be spotty.
Each course comes out and is presented as a little work of art. So beautifully composed -- exciting all the senses. We complemented our meal with a lot of sake (which also was recommended by the staff!) It is pricey for dinner -- starting at around $115/pp before sake and some optional ingredients (we were lucky to be visiting during matsutake mushroom season!) but we enjoyed it immensely! The pictures are not in order (TA problem) but you can get a feel for the number of courses and size of the plates.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Exceptional food and service mind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

Kitcho granvia:

- I missed the plan to Kitcho arashiyama the week before however I had immediate chance in the following week. I reserved restaurant in website of Kyoto grandvia hotel 1 day before arrive thank for staff that gave me oppurnity to taste the one best Japanese meal in my life.

- the lunch have bento set (6000)and Kaiseki that I selected.

4 courses that strike me were welcome drink , multi sour yuzu sea cucumber, sashimi-sushi , sweet fruits & real bitter green tea that again make feel that the great food must have special international taste as same as I tasted in L'Atelier de Joel robuchon Hong Kong* * *, Guy savoy Singapore that I previously reviews.

- I did not understand many words that described by staffs during service but I was able to perceive that came from heart to heart. This kindness is ultimate charm of Japan.

Conclusion: Although this restaurant did not receive 3 star Michelin as Kitcho arashiyama but It is easier to access than(open everyday, easy to reservation and may walk-in too ) worth to try the same level of Japanese high cuisine.

Hong Kong
“Very good Kaiseki Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Learn a lot about this restaurant before i visit Kyoto. Few branches through out the city. i booked Hana-Kitcho which ended up i visit this one located at Hotel Granvia. the food was very good with good presentation and the staff was very professional to explain everything dishes presented. Price is fair, i ordered Yen 10000 per person nad i really enjoy this meal.

• Visited September 2012
Rome, Italy
“Good for being at the Kyoto JR otherwise not as the other branches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Location is different and that is normal, the service is adequate but not outstanding as in the other locations.. Food agreable..It cannot be deemed as the city branches as an authentic Kaiseki dining experience..Just if in a rush...Other experience in the city one close to the Geisha district having this phone number [--]

2 Thank Priv_Dis_Lux