“It was the hotspring that was the deal breaker for me”

Super Hotel Kyoto Shijokawaramachi
Ranked #72 of 395 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have membership at Toyoko Inn, but the in-house hotspring was the deal breaker for me. They do not seem to have twin rooms at this branch but there are rooms that sleep two people and three people at a squeeze. (Bearing in mind that this is Japan, a single room in a business hotel will be just large enough for you to walk across in two strides.) Do not expect a view from your room.

If you can read Japanese, get on their Japanese website and book the special offers available there. Weekends are busier than weekdays and there tend to be queues for breakfast and the hotspring bath on weekends. Other reviewers already mentioned that thing about the pillows.

Breakfast selection is decent and has freshly baked bread, salad, soup and cooked food that changes from day to day. (That's not pain au chocolat--that's red bean paste in your pastry.) Internet is available if you camp in the lobby or have your own netbook in your room.

The hotel is within walking distance of Nishiki Market, Teramachi, Pontocho, the riverside and Gion. Transport links are excellent as the hotel is near Kawaramachi Station and the bus stops outside allowed me to visit other attractions.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tanaborealis

Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is a decent no frills hotel. Most guests I saw during my 4 nights stay are Japanese. So I think the Super Hotel chain is popular among the locals. I booked through the Super Hotels main website. It seems they offer better rates. Don't worry, they have English option on the website.

One thing to note is: I did try other booking websites to book, but they indicate no more rooms available on my dates. However, when I went straight to the hotel website, there are still rooms available. Thus, I have this feeling they allocate only certain number of rooms to middleman websites, then keep the rest of the rooms for guests who went directly to them (at better rates too).

Yes, the pillows are lengendary hard. I am used to hard pillows, but this is not just hard, they are stuffed with plastic beads. So really need to get the normal pillows from reception fast. We stayed 4 nights, to we held on dearly to our pillows lol.

Staff are very friendly and helpful. They also allowed us to keep our luggage in a locked storeroom when we check out, but too early for our flight.

The best thing of this hotel will be the location. Just the location itself, I will forget any negative aspects of this hotel. It is smacked right between the modern and traditional Kyoto. On one side, I get all the giant shopping malls like Takashimaya and Daimaru. On the other side, I get Gion and all the traditional houses and geishas.

Will reccommend and definitely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank caroltong
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Not that much wrong with this hotel, just don't expect
1) a room with character (walls are all empty, no atmosphere at all)
2) a relaxed breakfast (no cosy tables available, tables are lined up, everyone just sits in straight a row, breakfast-quality is reasonable though)
3) a comfortable pillow (if you don't want to sleep on a rock hard pillow, be sure to arrive before 7 pm (the pillow-cupboard at the reception is probably empty if you arrive later, i just don't get this pillow-policy of this hotel).
On the plus-side: it's hard to beat the location of this hotel and the onsen is a nice plus!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have visited Japan several times and I have been stayed in different type of hotels.This time I decided to reserve the super hotel Kyoto Shijo kawaramachi.
Hotel Breakfast was good and I have enjoyed the salad and fresh bread most mornings. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Everything exceeded expectations for my stay, the service, the staff , the hot spring and excellent location. I'm sure will stay here again on my next trip to Kyoto.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I came across this hotel through trip advisor and had no regret staying here. I stayed here with my hubby and another couple.
Though our room is small (expected for Japanese hotels), it is very comfortable, clean and fully equipped with basic amenities. You can also choose the pillow of your choice, but on 1st come 1st serve basis, which are fast taken up. So, if you can't pick one the day you check in, make sure to pick one early the next day.
We enjoyed the breakfast served by the hotel very much. Though there's not much choices, however, what they serve are yummy and nutritious, sufficient to boost the energy you require for the day. Two thumbs up!!! However, do be early to queue for the breakfast. They do not have a restaurant, they serve breakfast at a corner space beside the reception counter with limited seats.
This hotel is conveniently located nearby to Shijo Kawaramachi subway station/bus station. It is also walking distance to Nishiki market, Shinkyogku Shopping Arcade, Pontocho and Yasaka Shrine.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Location, is good, yes as described. In the shopping district and walking distance to two train stations of different lines. However, the hotel is sure hard to find! I asked a local for directions and omg he was so nice and friendly but he could hardly speak english. We walked about 1 KM with our heavy luggage (so it seemed like 10km) and when we arrived we realised it was the wrong hotel! Took us about an hour to find it and to my dismay we had walked past it way earlier. There are no signs from the main road which direction it's in. We entered from a small road opposite Takashimaya close to a cross junction. Walk about 100 metres straight and we finally got to the hotel.

Check in was fast. But the room is just too small! The toilet reminds me when i'm in an airplane where almost everything is made in plastic. And the free WIFI at the lobby, sometimes it works, but when there is too many people in the lobby all using their phones, don't expect it to work no matter how many times you try. Plus the wifi stops after the check in counter closes after midnight.

But what really pissed me off, is the next morning at 10 am, when i heard knocks on the door, next thing i knew as i got out of the bed is the housekeeping lady in the room. Wow, thats like a big NO-NO. My partner was still in bed. Stunned, we packed our luggage quickly and left.

That was a bad experience maybe for me. I would try somewhere else next time i come though this is value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the city