“Feeling like home”
Review of Hotel Mume

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Hotel Mume
Ranked #2 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This small boutique hotel in Kyoto is a small diamond.
Everything is perfect and you feel loke home.
The ladies in the hotel are fantastic and do whatever they can to make you feel well.
The breakfast is very good.
The location is convenient for many places to visit.
Probably my best experience ever in a hotel (and I have seen many...)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ago412

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Dear Hisako-san and everybody else at Mume! We can't believe that it has already been four years since our visit, soon after the lovely Mume opened! We have visited many places around the world since then, but you Mume and its owner and staff are still our favorite and are often in our thoughts. We are happy to see that? judging by your guests' reviews, you are still doing as well as when you just opened! Your good friends from San Francisco, S & D.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sonia M
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It's hard to exceed expectations when Mume has had such glowing reports from everyone else but.. I can honestly say Mume was even better than I thought it was going to be. Great neighborhood close to shops and lotsa funky bars and restaurants. Service was very warm, friendly and so knowledgeable - we dined out each night at a Mume recommendation and we were not disappointed - in fact we had an amazing set of meals from high end Kaiseki to more casual yakitori (served with a soundtrack from Elvis & The Beatles) and the pancake place round the corner was amazing too. Loved coming back 'home' at the end of the day to the happy hour with the very friendly staff. We had also had a couple of nights at Kanra after our three nights at Mume - very different experiences and the only thing I'd say Mume could take from Kanra is their robes and their soft throw blankets. But.. Really really loved our stay at Mume and I'd stay their again without hesitation!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelbyRosie
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked the hotel for one night following recommendations on tripadvisor. Absolutely amazing experience with assistance from the staff beginning even before our stay in terms of booking transfers and guides for us. One staff member even walked us to a local restaurant. Could not recommend more highly. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I call Mume a "boutique hotel" so that potential guests will not be misled by any (incorrect) connotations of "traditional Japanese inn". The truth: Mume is a small and lovely 5 room "boutique" hotel. Immaculate and created to the style of an old Japanese inn, but with every possible modern touch from flat screens to free internet. Great beds to room safes.

My initial concerns were about the traditional Japanese breakfasts. Boy, was I wrong. The breakfast was great. At 6am, I went down to the small restaurant/bar for a couple of cups of great coffee - made by the manager. Then, fresh OJ. A few hours later, my wife and I went down to a hearty breakfast. The Mume chef bakes three different fresh breads each day to go along with yogurt and a huge fresh fruit bowl. A hot soup tops it off. I am a ham 'n eggs guy, but this was fine stuff.

The suite Wind was clean, modern and quiet.

Mume's best part is the service by the 6-7 ladies who run Mume. They are personally involved in your trip enjoyment. Saying hello. Answering questions. Making reservations. Calling cabs and so on. Service can be subjective, of course - but, by any standards, the ladies were amazing. A special care one seldom sees these days.

In fact before we visited, the owner recommended by email - Jujni Yoshida of Kyoto Limousines. We hired Mr. Yoshida. He picked us up at 9 am - and drove us (in his new Lexus) out to the sites in Nara, then back to Kyoto for the best tour we have had in years. Mr. Yoshida brought it all to life with stories and unique perspective. Great English. He even took us to a special kimono fashion show. What a day! High recommendation for Mr. Yoshida, too.

Overall, I think Mume is the perfect plce to stay in Kyoto - and a great value when compared to the large chains. Book 'em and you will be so happy.

Room Tip: Try Wind or any room. .