Lowest prices for your stay
Get rewarded with One Key
Rakuten Travel
£290
Gili W
Israel

Special hotel

Review of MOGANA
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Apr 2023via mobile
The hotel design is very special . We had a big room very neat .. the staff were very helpful and did everything in order to help us !! The breakfast was served in the room and every morning it was different . Some days we got only a Japanese breakfast and we didn’t like it .. the bathroom and toilets were great !!!
Date of stay: April 2023
Room Tip: Breakfast is a challenge
£71
    £56
1.7 miles from MOGANA
Free parking
View more hotels in Kyoto
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 April 2023 via mobile

This hotel is beautifully designed in a minimalist style and you can read all about the architecture on the website. In spite of the rather stark approach, the room was actually very comfortable with a big bathroom, bath big enough for two and a giant bed. Breakfast was served in the room and was different each day with a mixture of Japanese and more Western items. Coffee and tea were served and there was water in the room as well as tea, coffee and some biscuits. Plenty of amenities and all high quality. You can choose whether to have your room cleaned each day or whether to just have clean towels or neither. A good nod to environmental sustainability which also affords additional privacy.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff here. We borrowed umbrellas, they made a restaurant reservation for me and confirmed it on arrival, booked taxis and organised our luggage forwarding.
An extra lovely touch was that they gave me a birthday present as I was leaving. My partner had mentioned it was my birthday less than half an hour before when our breakfast was delivered so to receive a beautifully wrapped gift and card when checking out was a really nice surprise.
It’s a quiet location but very convenient for some museums and with great transport links.
Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes this style of architecture - we did find it a bit dark at times so I’d probably book a white room if returning!

Date of stay: March 2023
Reviewed 30 November 2022 via mobile

A beautiful minimalist hotel that whispers cool through its geometric black corridors.
The rooms are either white, black or grey. All are very comfortable.
The staff are superb and look equally cool, dressed head to to in Issey Miyake.
There are no televisions in the rooms, nothing to detract from the zen atmosphere.

Date of stay: November 2022
1  Thank fleetoffoot
Reviewed 23 October 2022 via mobile

First time back in Japan in almost three years. Decided to stay at very modern, high design, Mogana this time because of all the positive reviews. The location is not as convenient as some other hotels but it gave me a chance to see a less tourist filled side of Kyoto with lots of side alleys that made the whole experience more of a discovery. I arrived by taxi after the Haruka express from Kansai airport and check in was quick and efficient. The room looked exactly as it does in photos: Minimalist glass pod. Onsen style black granite bathtub. Lighting is a bit too fluorescent for me, for a hotel room (room 602) the lighting used should be more warm (I had to filter photos for my photo album). Aircon was also a bit loud at night. Otherwise I was quite happy with Mogana, especially liked the rock garden outside with the courtyard plants wall that allowed a peak at the sky, the frosted glass in front of the bed allowed in muted sunlight, all very clever, modern yet Japanese aesthetics.

Room tip: Bring eye mask, staff are great and can help with booking restaurants.
Date of stay: October 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Anilegna
Reviewed 16 February 2020 via mobile

MOGANA black room is the most beautiful room I have ever visited with the perfect combination of Zen, Japanese aesthetic and contemporary design.

Service is excellent with great recommendations on what to eat and do in Kyoto.

Overall, a bit on the pricey side but well worth the experience if you love Japanese minimalism at its very best

Date of stay: February 2020
繁田 善文, 支配人 at MOGANA, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2020

Dear Joshua Kohh

Thank you for your stay with us and your positive comments.
It was our pleasure to serve you, and we had a precious time with you.
Please ask anytime again if you want to our help.
When you come to our hotel once again, let's talk about our recommend restaurants,cafe and anything.
We are looking foward to welcoming you again with preparing new experience!

MOGANA

Reviewed 9 July 2019

I spent few nights when I was in Kyoto. MOGANA has a very beautiful architecture, stylish accommodation. Everything was so perfect. And lots of warm services.
The remarkable parts is a black stone bathroom. It is almost an art to see how water make paints and hear the water sounds.
I also loved so much the super healthy and delicious Kyoto style breakfast which has so much seasons in the variable little dishes. ( The table is little bit too low for westerns I guess...)
I wished to have a small desk in a room.
When I come back Kyoto, I am sure come back again in this hotel.
If you are looking for a memorable place for a Kyoto, then I think here is the place.

Date of stay: February 2019
MOGANAs_staff, MOGANA at MOGANA, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2019

Dear OLIVIERBB,

We are overjoyed that our hotel made your stay so memorable.
All staff read your review, and we were all tearing up.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind comments.
It has put a big smile on all staff faces.
Customer service is everything to us and it has made our day to hear you
had such a pleasant stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

With kindest regards,