“Freshness and simplicity combined with a true understanding of what makes great food is to be found here!”

Negiya Heikichi Takasegawa
Ranked #221 of 13,634 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Neighbourhood: Shimogyo-ku
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Like others before us Negi (means spring onion) was a little tricky to find but we followed the reviewer's suggestions to success. It's in the very enchanting Gion area which is special in itself. We dined upstairs in a tatami room with lovely ambience. The owner/chef seems to be passionate about his craft and use of fresh vegetables in season. Despite our language barrier we followed his recommendations and enjoyed a delicious food adventure. We appreciated the departure from ramen and okonomiyaki at this stage of our travels and indulged in choices that extended our palate in a very positive way. I would never have considered a spring onion salad but it worked in conjunction with the other menu offerings. The bill was quite modest given we were totally satisfied food wise and had indulged in some sake as well. I would happily recommend Negi as a very positive Kyoto experience.

Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Was not too difficult to find using the Point Me There and the other user notes. Sat at the counter as traveling alone but meant I could watch the chef work which was great. I let the wonderful staff make recommendations and was not disappointed (try the grilled bamboo shoots!). An excellent dinner - one of the best I've had since I arrived.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We found this restaurant using the TripAdvisor app. A little difficult to locate, but the other reviewers' tips really helped. We sat downstairs at the communal table. A very nice ambience and the staff was friendly and attentive. We ordered a selection of small plates; loved the emphasis on fresh and local ingredients, though we were not starving so probably did not experiment as much as we could have. I also got a decent glass of wine - not easy to do in Japan. Prices are $9 - $12 per dish.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Very cozy and great food. My wife and I shared a number of small plates and enjoyed every one. Backed up to a stream in the Gion district it is a little difficult to find but worth the search. They do now have an English menu available.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We had trouble finding this place and succeeded on our second try. We we were greeted by Hiroto Homma who took us upstairs to sit on tatami mats (down stairs has a bar and table) and enthusiastically introduced us to the menu. Vego was no problem with a selection of in-season vegetable dishes although my meat-eating friends really got stuck into the hot pot. We washed down our meals with a little warmed saki. The atmosphere was very pleasant and Hiroto san's personality really made the night as he attended all the patrons.
I will definitely put this on my to-do list if I return.
To get there, from Karawamachi station on Shijo Dori, go east and cross the bridge over the small canal. Head south down the street beside the canal and it is located opposite the canal next to the fourth bridge. You can recognize it by the dark wall covered in white hanji/kanji characters facing the canal. Cross the bridge and enter from the back street. The only real hint you've found it is the name Negiya is buried in the menu out front! ... but its worth the effort!
(Photo borrowed from Google maps because its clearer than mine!)

4  Thank Peter J