“Amazing food from a brilliant chef!”

Negiya Heikichi Takasegawa
Ranked #196 of 13,582 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Neighbourhood: Shimogyo-ku
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Oh my, i have just had the pleasure of having dinner here and the food is beautiful.
All the ingredients are super fresh, if you are seated at the cooking station you can see the chef prepare your dishes for you.
We had the tuna and avocado sashimi and the leek and cheese dumplings for starters and they blew me away, what a great way of combining traditional with modern cooking!

Definitely will be back when I'm back in Kyoto!

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Like others before us Negi (means spring onion) was a little tricky to find but we followed the reviewer's suggestions to success. It's in the very enchanting Gion area which is special in itself. We dined upstairs in a tatami room with lovely ambience. The owner/chef seems to be passionate about his craft and use of fresh vegetables in season. Despite our language barrier we followed his recommendations and enjoyed a delicious food adventure. We appreciated the departure from ramen and okonomiyaki at this stage of our travels and indulged in choices that extended our palate in a very positive way. I would never have considered a spring onion salad but it worked in conjunction with the other menu offerings. The bill was quite modest given we were totally satisfied food wise and had indulged in some sake as well. I would happily recommend Negi as a very positive Kyoto experience.

Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Was not too difficult to find using the Point Me There and the other user notes. Sat at the counter as traveling alone but meant I could watch the chef work which was great. I let the wonderful staff make recommendations and was not disappointed (try the grilled bamboo shoots!). An excellent dinner - one of the best I've had since I arrived.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We found this restaurant using the TripAdvisor app. A little difficult to locate, but the other reviewers' tips really helped. We sat downstairs at the communal table. A very nice ambience and the staff was friendly and attentive. We ordered a selection of small plates; loved the emphasis on fresh and local ingredients, though we were not starving so probably did not experiment as much as we could have. I also got a decent glass of wine - not easy to do in Japan. Prices are $9 - $12 per dish.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Very cozy and great food. My wife and I shared a number of small plates and enjoyed every one. Backed up to a stream in the Gion district it is a little difficult to find but worth the search. They do now have an English menu available.