“Deluxe capsule experience”

Ranked #36 of 344 Speciality lodging in Kyoto
Tokyo, Japan
“Deluxe capsule experience”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights since my usual Kyoto hotel was booked and everything else was either a hostel or over 10,000yen a night. I've stayed in a capsule hotel before and while its not bad for 1 night, the lack of storage in the actual capsule, and inability to stand up or walk around without "going out" gets annoying after too many days. This place was clean and new and has larger capsules, with enough to space to stand, have a table, and some space to change. The size of the capsule itself was very comfortable. The common areas were very modern and clean as well. Actually every time I went to use the toilet the staff had come an cleaned and refolded the paper. The showers are shower booths, not an open public bath so it is private enough. Since its mostly Japanese who stay here, it is very quiet unlike the experience of many hostels (and a big reason why i don't like to stay in them) The location is good as well. It is literally around the corner from one of the exits of Shijo station, and there is a starbucks and convenience stores near by.

The only thing I did not like was there was no refrigerator anywhere or any ice machine. Just one of those would have been great. So any drinks I bought in the evening to stock up for the night, I had to drink warm.

All in all I would definitely stay here again. I wanted to stay in the Osaka branch but that one seems to have only a communal bath and not shower booths.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
firstcabin_kyoto, お客様担当マネージャー at First Cabin Kyoto Karasuma, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear bleedingkyo,
Thank you very much for setting high value on FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. Since each room is too small to fit in a refrigerator, if you want to chill or get some ice cubes, you could go to the front staffs who will help with it for free. I am afraid that there is no single shower booth in Osaka branch; however, you could experience the traditional Japanese bath style instead.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a capsule hotel for one night in Kyoto because a) our other accommodation could take us for all but one night in the middle of our stay in Kyoto and b) we wanted to see what the capsule experience was all about.

I have never stayed in a capsule hotel before nor a youth hostel. I had low expectations but I was pleasantly suprised. The hotel was quite well located near shijo station (two subway stations away from Kyoto station), the staff were helpful, the hotel was nicely themed and the room was much bigger than I anticipated (we had asked for the bigger rooms).

We didn't have much luggage with us as we stored our big items at our previous location and just packed essentials in a small bag. We would have been fine to take our bigger pieces with respect to space, though there were no locks on each capsule so security may have been an issue. The room had a large but firm bed, a large tv, there were multiple power points and we had free wi fi. The rooms were clean as were the bathrooms. They also provided sleep wear, towels, soaps, skin lotions, shampoo and conditioner (none of which I was expecting). My only criticism was that the showers had no where to place your towel and clothes so you had to leave them outside the shower room.

The hotel also clearly separates males and females with each on separate floors, which can be good if traveling alone but could be slightly difficult if traveling with a male friend.

Overall, a pleasant and comfortable experience for one night. I would recommend first cabin to anyone wanting to try out the capsule experience or anyone with a strict travel budget.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear NPreethi,
Thank you very much for the objective description and evaluation of FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. We have prepared a safety box for each cabin under or beside your bed. With the password set by oneself, valuable articles can be safely taken care of. In addition, if you would like to, when going out, you can leave bigger luggage at the front desk. About the shower booths, in order not to get the clothes wet, we provide small baskets for clothes storing and safety boxes for valuable articles.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The location is excellent - not as good as competitor 9hours, but close enough. I prefer First Cabin, as the capsules are bigger (you can completely stand up, even in the smallest ones) and the price is a bit lower. Also unlike 9hours, you don't have to check out every morning.

The place is clean, easy to get around (English everywhere, and the front desk staff speak some English), the showers aren't what you'd expect from a budget place - lots of water, and as hot as you'd want it!

Each capsule has 2 electrical outlets, a lamp with a brightness adjustment, a decently sized locker to keep your belongings, a TV with PPV, and a decently comfortable mattress.

Overall if you want to travel on a budget but want more privacy than a hostel can offer, this is my favourite way to travel. My only complaint would be that my towels weren't replaced on some mornings.

Room Tip: The front desk offers free earplugs - you will want to use them as you'll be in close quarters w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear lowlight852,
Thank you very much for the objective description and evaluation of FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the towels without replacement. We are looking forward to seeing you again!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I took it as a chance to experience a capsule hotel here in Kyoto. However, as it is still possible to stand (albeit on your own bed) within the capsule, it was comparatively a larger, more comfortable and less claustrophobic than 'the usual capsule hotel'.

I love the central location, as it was just mere steps from the Shijo subway station (exit 5), in a quiet environment and inside a modern building.

The facilities are impeccably clean, with good quality shower and shampoo bottles provided. There is a bathtub amongst the showers, make sure to grab it for your person 'onsen'! Sleepwear is provided.

Remember, there is no space to store your luggage for the 'Business Class cabin' as the entire capsule is your bed. You would have to drag your luggage onto your bed. So, if you have a lot of luggage, you should book the 'First Class cabin' instead where there is some room by the side of the bed. But there is no concept of 'lock-and-key' in capsule hotels, so do not book if you are uncomfortable with the idea.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dear aycanela,
Thank you very much for the objective description and evaluation of FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. About the space for storing the luggage in a business class cabin, we provide a password safety box beside your bed, so you can just leave the bigger ones at the front desk if you would like to.
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here just only 1 night during I was visiting in Kyoto.This hostel located in Located in the center of Kyoto very very near Shijo station ext. 5 (subway) just only 5 mins walk.And the facilities was better than any hostel I've ever been before.Nice staffs , cleanliness room , suit for the backpacker who is looking for capsule style and I will definitely stay here again if I go to Kyoto again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear May P,
Thank you very much for setting high value on FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. We are aiming at offering thoughtful service and convenience to the customers. We will carry on with your favorable comment. Looking forward to meeting you in Kyoto again!
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is very near to Shijo station. Exit at exit 5 and make a left into the lane and you will see it in 1 minute. From the hotel, there are many buses to take you to famous attractions like Golden Pavilion, Kiyomizudera etc.
The frontdesk is quite fluent in english. Hence, for those who can't speak Japanese, don't worry. You can also put your luggage at the frontdesk if your luggage can't fit into your cabin.
The cabin is not very tiny because you still can roll around on your bed and it has a quite a high ceiling. However, as your cabin isn't soundproof, your neighbours may disrupt your sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Bncc,
Thank you very much for setting high value on FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. We are aiming at offering thoughtful service and convenience to the worldwide customers. We are deeply sorry if you had been disturbed by the noises while staying here, and we will try our best to improve the situation. Thank you for the precious advice.
Singapore
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I wanted to try a capsule but being claustrophobic, I can only try First Cabin.

This is a clean place, with all the necessities and really close to the station and Kyoto attractions.
But... I think the air is not clean, cause I kept coughing in the middle of the night and never have a good sleep.

For the price, I could have stayed in any business hotel, really... So well, I guess give this a try out of curiosity but nothing else.

Note: There's no charging station in the capsule (naturally) so either rent a charger from the front desk or be cheap (like me) and charge in the bathroom. I think this is the deal breaker for me as I have a lot of gadgets.

Room Tip: For female, 560 or 561.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vuvie
firstcabin_kyoto, お客様担当マネージャー at First Cabin Kyoto Karasuma, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you very much for commenting on FIRSTCABIN KyotoKarasuma. This hotel is 24 hours aerated, we are deeply sorry for your coughing, maybe the air was too dry. In order to improve the situation, the humidifiers could be rented freely at the front desk.