“Great Location and Lovely Hotel”

Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae
Ranked #18 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Kaneohe, HI
“Great Location and Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I've stayed at other Dormy hotels,and I found this one to be exactly what I expected except that it had a little nicer appointments in the room and it had some nice extras such as a massage room.

I found the room to be exactly what I knew it would be, fairly small, but this one has much nicer furniture and color scheme. The bathroom was small and plain, but who planned to use the bathroom when you had a full-scale onsen with a lovely outside bath (rotenburo) on the top floor? That bath was very beautiful and very atmospheric and you couldn't help but feel you were in one of those country inns rather than in the center of a big city. I loved the little decal posted on the door of the locker at the onsen. It featured a hunky samurai type showing a tatooed arm with the legend "NO!" in big letters. That's to remind you that tattoos are not accepted in Japanese onsen!

The room was very quiet and cozy, which was nice considering it was almost directly across the street from one of the busiest and biggest train stations in all Japan! They even had a restaurant and a convenient store connected to the property, although I didn't use either. I did, however, use the massage facilities and received a very nice, thorough and efficient massage, which after a long day of exploring Kyoto was well needed...or would that be ... kneaded?

One nice little touch at this hotel was the umbrellas they had in the lobby which were really great because it was the tail end of a typhoon and it was really raining. I liked the fact that they all said "We Like the Dormy Inn" which was a great advertisement for the hotel.

I would recommend Dormy Inns to anyone who likes to save a little money without sacrificing nice features like an onsen. I've been to several, and they're all pretty much the same, with a fantastic location, a cheap price and that super bath on the roof.

Room Tip: Don't miss the Dormy Inn Kyoto
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Whitsiepoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vaud
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Newly opened. Location good. Practical but with great ambiance. Breakfast and hot spring a bonus. Positively surprised for what you pay for. Would even recommend to someone who is willing to stay in 4-5 star hotel.

Room Tip: from business to family pleasure
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank tyran666
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in October 2010. It is clsoe to station (can walk there in under 10 minutes easily). I paid well under GBP 100 per night which I thought was good value (I was on a speciific budget). I didn't partake in the noodles in the evening as I always ate out, but I thought it was a nice idea. Room was small but this was expected. It was clean and everything that you would expect. After a long days walk, I had a massage at teh hotel, whcih was very good and easily booked. As I was a solo traveller I found the hotel to my liking. If I was there with family/friends I may choose something more opulent. Having said that this hotel is good.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I stayed for 5 nights in March 2011.
The room was small, but it's Japan. That's the way it is. It was clean & comfortable. I loved the breakfast. I was getting used to having salad & rice everyday for breakfast. Lots of things to try. No wifi but there was a computer that anyone could use. I would definitely stay here again. Being so close to the train station was a definite plus.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank 348Sharon
München, Deutschland
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This hotel is good choice when staying in Kyoto. It is alittle pricy, but it has many factors going for it. First it is located near the Kyoto train station. This is great advantage since the hotel and subways are usually full with passengers. The hotel has an Japanese onsen bath and sauna on the top floor. Anyone that has enjoyed an onsen before knows that this a treat. Secondly you get free Ramen for dinner. Also the breakfast buffet is nice, if you like Japanese food.
Only downside is the size of the room. Tiny. The wasn’t enough space in the room in a double if each person has a suitcase. I would stay here again and will pack less again though

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ansjohnson7
Sydney
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Hotel had perfect location and was very quiet although it was within walking distance to station with all amenities, restaurants, shops etc around.
Hotel had their own onsen (hot spring) which we didn't use though. Western breakfast menue was a bit limited, but japanese one was great.
No visitors allowed in rooms. Room wasn't huge but had all we needed, even with traveling with an infant in a travel cot.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We decided to stay here on our business trip in Kyoto.

I like the staff here as they was helpful and answered all our queires very well. Such as they helped with restaurant reservations and direction. Location wise is awesome as only one block from main train station which will take you anywhere you want to meet or dine.

Hotel is very new, rooms are nicely appointed, very clean. We have breakfast buffet included with the price which then make this hotel very affordable.

Will come back next time!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business