“Average Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Vienna, Austria
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Hotel is about 5min walk from Kyoto Station located near a shopping-centre (Avanti). The staff is ok, the rooms are average. There is even quite enough space for a long stay.

PRO (+)
- OK Location
- Quite clean but i personally hate shower curtains
- Coin washing machine availalbe
- Wifi is working
- Restaurants and convinient stores nearby
- Enough space

CON (-)
- Kindergarten nearby
- One side of the bed is direct at wall (personally I don't like this)
- Nothing special - boring room interieur
- Price was average

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank where_is_at
KyotoHachijyoDRH, 支配人 at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi.
And also, we appreciate that you gave us your comments. We are glad to hear from you how you felt about our hotel. Thank you so much.

We hope to see you again when you visit to Japan next time. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hotel is 5-10 minutes walk from Kyoto Station so its very convenient for bus, train and subway connection. From Kyoto station look for Avanti departmental store. Hotel is down the same street. Very clean and comfortable. Very friendly staff. Speak English. Very nice hotel brand coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi.
And also, we appreciate that you gave us your comments. As you mentioned, our hotel is located close to Kyoto station. We are glad to hear from you that you had a good time while you stayed in our hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel is near KYOTO Station that you can connect shinkansen. Walking from station for 10 minutes. I think this hotel is in big chain hotel. So the service is good. Receptionist is good in English.

I like Keycard that print out for me (shown my name on keycard). I love toilet amenity espeacially soap powder.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi.
And also, we appreciate that you gave us your comments. We are glad to hear from you that you had a good time while you stayed in our hotel.

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is excellent, room size is reasonably good according to Japan standards. Kyoto station is at walking distance. But there are no Indian restaurants nearby, you will have to take taxis to go to Indian restaurants which will be expensive. also, most of the tourist attractions are at other part of city so you have to travel a bit more. But the good point with location was railway station from where you can get buses for all the tourist attractions.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
KyotoHachijyoDRH, 支配人 at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi.
We appreciate that you gave us your comments. We are glad to hear from you that you had a good time while you stayed in our hotel.

We hope to see you again when you visit to Japan next time. Thank you
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We found this hotel through trip advisor and it didn't disappoint. We initially were worried we wouldn't find it as it was dark and we couldn't work out which street it was on! But the hotel instructions said go down the side of the avanti building, we luckily chose the right hand side as you face from the station, and were there within 5 mins walk from the station. The room was compact but perfectly fine to move about in. Breakfast was a little disappointing if you don't like Japanese style breakfast. I ate bread and jam all three mornings, there were no pastries as I would hope at a continental breakfast, but as if you like Japanese style breakfast there was plenty and lots of tofu for veggies like me! It's on the quieter side of the station which is good. Staff were very polite and friendly.

Stayed July 2014
KyotoHachijyoDRH, 支配人 at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi.

We are grad to you had a great time in our hotel.
If you will come to Kyoto in the future,we hope to see you again.
Thank you very much!

Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

OK, so the location of this place means that it’s a slightly longer walk to some tourist attractions, restaurant and entertainment areas than it would be from hotels on the “right” side of Kyoto JR Station, but this hotel is cheaper, relatively new, and the location is still very convenient. It’s also a great place to stay.

If you are arriving in Kyoto by train, keep an eye out for the Avanti building. It’s a landmark that visible when you’re arriving on most train services, and - being only several blocks from the hotel - will help you navigate there. The Avanti building is on the same side of the station as the Shinkansen tracks, so if you’re arriving by Shinkansen you won’t have too much walking ahead of you.

I have seen several different descriptions for getting from Kyoto station (JR or Kintetsu) to the hotel, but agree with a previous poster that the East Hachijo exit is the best way, although it does involves quite a few stairs. This exit takes you under Hachijo Street (“hachijo-dori”). (If you find yourself at street level on the Station side of Hachijo-dori, you’ll need to find the stairs that take you back down to the subway that goes under the road).You’ll end up on the other side of Hachijo-dori, below street level but in the open air, in what appears to be the forecourt of Avanti. With your back to the station, choose the stairs that take you towards the right hand side of the Avanti building (not the left). Once you reach street level, walk alongside the Avanti building, still with your back to the station. At the far corner of the Avanti building, you’ll reach a set of pedestrian lights - turning neither right nor left, walk through them (and - this being Japan - observing the lights), still keeping your back to the station, and when you reach the next set of pedestrian lights, you’ll see the hotel directly in front of you. That’s only four or five minutes from when you left the station exit.

Check in time is 2 pm; check-out is 11 am - that’s as good as it gets in Japan. I arrived half an hour early, but my room was ready and I was able to check-in and go straight up. Service at check-in - and elsewhere - was friendly and helpful.

Wifi in the room and lobby area is free, fast and doesn’t require a password, symptomatic of hotel management that wants to make guests’ stays as user friendly as possible.

Apart from a double bed with the head and one side pushed up against the walls, I also had a bench along the window with TV, and plenty of room for using my laptop, making a cup of tea or eating a snack. Apart from the bed, and the bench, there was a swivel chair, a stand for my bag, and wardrobe hanging space near the door. I had a view over the street but there was no issue with noise - just a view of street life.

The bathroom: small but functional, with a deep bath and a regular bidet/toilet. Like most Japanese business hotels, you’ll find separate shampoo/conditioner/body lotion/hand wash, plus the normal razors, toothbrushes and toothpaste, etc.

I was expecting to walk over to the other side of Kyoto station each morning and eat a “morning service” breakfast, but I found myself returning to the hotel’s buffet breakfast instead, even though it was more expensive, and I ended up eating more than what I normally would.

For Y1030 (just over $US10), you get a choice of western and Japanese dishes. My appreciation of breakfast improved each day as I added more Japanese items to my selection. The hot western fare is nothing special but there are goodies such as natural yoghurt served in small square ceramic containers, and a range of breads which tasted better once I heated them in the toaster oven.

The Japanese food included quite a few salad items, some of which I had never seen before. There were also some dishes which sounded suspect (“tofu refuse”) but which tasted fine, to this reviewer, at least, and without ill effects.

I very much appreciated that (a) there was a coffee machine for guests to use, and (b) it offered a choice of “Coffee” and “Weak coffee.” I chose the “Coffee” option every time - the coffee didn’t taste fantastic but it was reasonable strength.

At breakfast, I noticed that quite a few people lingered on in the cafe area after they’d eaten their breakfast, staying on longer than what I might have expected. I eventually put this down to the ambience - it’s a relaxing and enjoyable place to be, even if the view of the outside area is nothing special. This is not an expensive hotel (my room rate was around $US70 per night, booked through Expedia), and there’s nothing formal or grand about it, but a lot of thought has gone into the design features of the lobby and adjacent cafe area - in my opinion, a pleasing use of shape, texture, and color, especially when seen from the cafe.

I occasionally used the vending machines on the second floor - the drinks are fine (Asahi beer from as little as Y180 per can), but look elsewhere for food - there’s little to recommend here, and nothing if you’re craving chocolate. There’s also a microwave if you want to heat up meals you’ve bought in local convenience stores.

I didn’t use the trouser press that was fitted in my room. Likewise, I didn’t use the washing and drying machines on the fifth floor, but was glad that they were there if I needed them. I didn’t try the nearby bicycle rental, either, but I think bikes would be a terrific way of getting around.

I’m glad I chose this hotel (largely on the recommendations of many Tripadvisor members before me). I probably won’t stay here again, however. It’s a matter of location: this trip, I’m primarily here to visit family and the restaurants around my son’s house in downtown Kyoto offer many more choices than the area around Kyoto station. It’s horses for courses. If I were using a rail pass to travel around Japan and if I were using Kyoto as a base, I would stay in this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Dundas3071
KyotoHachijyoDRH, 支配人 at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for staying at Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi.
And also, we appreciate that you gave us many comments. As you mentioned, the Avanti building will help you navigate to our hotel, and it takes about 5 minutes by walk. We are glad to hear from you that you had a good time while you stayed in our hotel.

Elwood, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel was a typical Japanese business hotel. The room was spotless and had a molded form fit plastic bathroom that did seem to sway a bit when in there. It is close to Kyoto station but a bit of a hike to the od town area of Gion. A daily bus pass from the station costs 500 yen and can be used to see all the sights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple