“My trip in Kyoto complete with Chihana”
Review of Chihana

Chihana
Ranked #3,856 of 12,359 Restaurants in Kyoto
Price range: US$89 - US$330
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gion
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great job to Chef Nagata and the team, went there with my partner on the 9th of July 2014. Here is my review on the restaurant http://iamcarolinefong.com/michelin-stars/chihana-restaurant-kyoto/

We personally love the ambiance and the food just kept on surprising. Service was excellent. I would love to visit again.

1  Thank Caroline F

Reviewed 24 July 2014

It was a nice dinner with many courses of variety. However, I don't think the meal worth the price they charged. Most dishes were ordinary vegetables and fish. For the price of nearly $200.00 per person, you don't get exquisite meat, mushroom nor seafood. Presentation was good, service iwas excellent and friendly.

2  Thank tuitai
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I visited Chihana on a recent holiday trip to Kyoto. I wanted to try kaiseki dining and I asked the hotel (Crowne Plaza) to recommend a Michelin starred option. The hotel recommended three options and this was the best reviewed. It was our first time dining at a restaurant with three Michelin stars and we chose the mid price 28,000 yen option (which was at the top end but not the most I'd ever paid for a menu) so my expectations were relatively high. We had chosen this restaurant over a lower price (1*) alternative so I wanted to feel that the extra I had paid was worth it.

We were seated at the counter with one other couple who were the only other customers that evening. They had also booked based on a recommendation from their hotel (Hyatt). Most of the prep was not actually done at the counter. The food was well executed and innovative but didn't have the wow factor of some of my other most memorable meals. However, a particular highlight was the sashimi with seaweed which we were recommended to try instead of soy and wasabi, rather than as well as soy (although traditional soy and also very nice soy with vinegar were also available).

Service was very pleasantly and efficiently executed by the proprietor chef and his wife along with other very capable staff. They made us feel very welcome and their English was good enough to allow us (with no Japanese language skills) to understand how best to enjoy our food. However English spoken was not good enough to give us the sort of detailed low down on what you were eating that you might get in a Michelin starred restaurant where you were able to speak the language.

Overall I felt we had made a good choice and I was glad that we went for Chihana over the cheaper option. However next time in Kyoto I'll also try the 1* kaiseki to check.

2  Thank samwardill
Reviewed 10 April 2014

As anticipated the meal was excellent in this Michelin three star restaurant. The restaurant is cozy & intimate, located down a long narrow alleyway in the Gion district. Once you step inside there is an immediate feeling of warmth. The chef accompanies you outside to say goodbye and the kind hostess walked me all the way to the main street for a taxi cab back to my hotel. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Kyoto. In addition to excellent food, the restaurant has a lot of character which you will always remember.

2  Thank cdglgasfosin
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This very small, well hidden restaurant makes a beautiful presentation of very elegant and delicious food...each course was wonderful but the beef with mushroom and onion with a special sake was the most outstanding...a must visit on future trips to Kyoto.