“The easy way to gain cultural insight...”
Review of Haru Cooking Class

Haru Cooking Class
Ranked #2 of 57 Food & Drink in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: Thank you very much for finding our small cooking class in Kyoto, Japan! Please come visit our home and cook Japanese food together! No need to be an expert cook. If you like Japanese food you will be successful cooking them. The class is not only about cooking, but learning about Japanese culture. We will do our best to answer all the questions you may have for food and lifestyle!
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Food can be one of the best descriptors of a culture...as I travel in and out of various places, sightseeing and camera snapping, it is often difficult to capture a little deeper insight into the culture of the people. Taro's cooking class provided the only real cultural experience I had while in Kyoto. What a privilege it was to be able to meet his family and gain a better understanding of why they eat what they do. Taro very patiently answered all of our questions and gave us a wonderful cultural introduction to Japan. On top of that, I've never been a big fan of Japanese food - sushi or meat are generally the only things I will buy at a Japanese restaurant. That has all changed now, and my eyes have truly been opened to a variety of beautiful and healthy vegetarian cooking styles. Making the homemade Tofu was definitely the biggest privilege, and I plan to make it regularly at home; I highly recommend you ask for that in your class. As most people have noted, this is one of those special opportunities for any visit to Japan, that will be the one thing you will remember most. I thank Taro and his lovely family for welcoming us. They seem to really love teaching, and we all benefit from their kindness. I will be sure to book again on my next visit to Kyoto!

1  Thank kelly b
in 11 reviews
"root vegetables"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The recipes are simple but delicious.Taro is friendly and his family is lovely. They live in a very traditional Japanese home and afterwards he gave us a tour and a small present - was one of the highlights of the trip.

1  Thank Jade L
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This affordable cooking class in Kyoto was one of the most memorable activities that we participated in during our stay in Japan. Taro met us at the meeting point right on time and took us on a tour along Nishiki Markets in Kyoto. Taro has an excellent command of English and gave us a lot of information on the local food items. Along the way, we got to sample various food items and also chatted about various topics on Japanese culture. After that we proceeded to his lovely Japanese home and there we learnt how to cook a few simple Japanese dishes - nothing too fancy but absolutely delicious. Haruko provided lots of entertainment while we were at it! This is a highly recommended activity for anyone visiting Japan - best of all you don't even have to know how to cook to enjoy this activity as it caters to everyone.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We travelled to Kyoto for a day trip from Osaka just to do this cooking class. We have been to Kyoto before and we wanted to go back but we also wanted to do something different. Taro met us at the Nishiki markets and gave us a guided tour explaining the different foods and drinks along the way and also introducing us to the stall owners who were willing for us to sample their goods. We purchased a special carving knife from one of the shops in the market that has been there for hundreds of years. We then organised to meet Taro at the bus stop near his home at 3pm so he could take us to his home for our cooking lesson. We had discussed the foods we were interested in making and he accomodated us exactly as we asked with extras added in. I was interested in how to make gyoza, but he also showed us miso soup from scratch, tamago, cucumber salad and a chicken dish rolled with vegetables and topped with teriyaki sauce (the name I am unsure of at this time, but have written it down in my travel book) Taro expertly showed us how to make one item then encouraged us to do the rest ourselves. Even our 12 year old daughter was happy to help with the making of the food. My husband also joined in and I was surprised that he could roll and flip the egg mixture with chopsticks to make the tamago. We had a wonderful day and although we were very tired by the end of the day we enjoyed the experience very much and would recommend this outing time and time again. Taro gave us the cooking instruction on paper in English and I have made some of the dishes three or four times since returning home.

2  Thank Just-Julie-Cairns