“Convenient New Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 362 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Singapore
“Convenient New Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is smacked right in the middle of the shopping district with lots of restaurants. Across the street is a covered walkway with a seemingly unending row of shops. While enjoying the stroll, you will also reach the Nishiki Market, which was so much easier to locate than when we visited on a separate trip via Shijo or Karasuma subway.

The toilet in the hotel is bigger than some of the other Japanese hotels. The only fault I found was that no moisturizer was provided.

There's a bakery beside the entrance to the hotel & the pastry was very delicious. The hotel also provided a very informative map with the location of the bus stops & bus info to various places of interest. It would be helpful if information on access to the hotel via bus could be found on their website.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tainan, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed there from 12/1 for 4 nights. The hotel is in a very convenient location near many restaurants and shops and bus stops and subway. Within short walking distance, we can reach many tourist attractions. Hotel has warm staff and clean rooms. Our room is on premium floor but it felt very tight in space. From room description for premium double, the room is 24 sq meters, but the floor plan makes it very small. We have stayed in rooms of same size or smaller even with two twin beds without feeling so tight in space. I think it is due to the long entry way and cramping in too many large furniture in the room. Lacking of shelves or closet space makes long stay more difficult because we had to keep most of our clothes in our suitcase.

Besides the tight space, we find our hotel room very comfortable with high quality mattress and all kinds of amenity. I have to mention the water pillow in the room because it brought me 4 nights of undisturbed sleep. I will get one for home.

We had expansive buffet breakfast with lots of vegetables and great bread selection. You can even order your egg with special request. The only problem is getting coffee. It is at a corner but always crowded with people getting coffee. The coffee area is the bottle neck of whole dinning area.

We experienced very warm hospitality at Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto. Before our stay, we email hotel to request making restaurant reservation for us. They went of their way to help us with our dinning reservation. After we have arrived, they help us with additional restaurant reservation and gave great suggestiosn and directions for red maple leaves viewing. After we got home, I emailed the hotel regarding that wonderful pillow. They provided us with detailed information about the pillow. Our English contact at the hotel is Ms. Kanoko Shinhara. She is not only fluent in English but also very polite and sincere to serve us for all of our need. My great thanks to her for making our trip more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Get the bigger size room if possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
somewhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

It is a nice hotel in a good location. The rooms are not very specious but clean and fresh. The bathroom is also nice with that 'toilet machine' that is so typical for Japan.
We did not have breakfasts in hotel, went to Shinshindo to enjoy their breakfasts and pastries.
In short - nice hotel; the only complaint is that everything is a bit smaller than usual (something like, say, 80% of 'normal' size) but probably it is a general feeling for a tall non-Japanese :) Yes, and lack of storage space...

Room Tip: we had two rooms on different floors (maybe even different categories) but despite some small decora...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SomewhereTraveller
Saratoga, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel met our needs very well in Kyoto. The staff was wonderful and helpful in all regards. Our room was large enough for the two of us, although not spacious. The soft pajamas were fun and they replaced them with clean ones every day. The hotel was very quiet. We did not have a good view from the 8th floor, but we were out so much it didn't really matter. We could walk to lots of shopping nearby, and get to Gion easily on foot. Buses run nearby and we found Kyoto pretty easy to get around. The daily bus pass for 500 yen pays for itself after just two rides. There is a boulangerie a couple doors down where you can get a lovely breakfast with eggs, meat, salad, and drink for just 600 yen.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AirBarb
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

First let me say that my experience was not the usual traveler experience but I am very fortunate I was at this hotel. The staff here is caring, helpful, friendly, compassionate, and they go the extra mile when needed. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle in Kyoto and suffered from some other scrapes and bruises. The staff at the hotel went above and beyond what I would expect. They brought me ice packs every two hours for two nights, the Concierge LITERALLY wrapped my ankle for me and cleaned me up prior to me receiving proper medical care. The front desk manager called a clinic for me and a hospital and typed up everything for me in Japanese and then called ahead prior to my arrival. They made what could have been an awful experience (being a single injured traveler) into a relatively easy experience. They set everything up for me. They truly showed care and compassion. I am in awe of how well they took care of me. I am forever grateful to them.
In addition to their compassion, prior to my injury, I thought the staff was helpful and I was amazed at how everyone remembered who I was. This is a first class establishment and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who traveled to the area. In addition to the rooms being impeccably clean, the shower was incredible (It is worth the upgrade to have a street view and the amazing shower. If my memory serves me correctly it was about 40 Yen more and worth every penny. So splurge and get the upgrade! I was on the 9th floor with a good view and great shower). The room was a typical Japan size but well appointed and there was room for luggage. The hotel is in a good location near shopping, walking distance to the Gion District (about 15 minutes), near public transportation and centrally located to see the shrines and temples throughout the city. I didn't eat at the restaurant but used the pastry café two doors down for breakfast and ate at this awesome conveyor sushi restaurant about one block away recommended by the front desk. There is also a reasonably price spa for reflexology about a block away as well. I give this hotel my highest recommendation. They provided true Japanese hospitality and showed compassion to me at a time when I needed it most.

Room Tip: Select the upgrade to have a street view and the amazing rain shower!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

From the moment we were greeted by the staff at reception we have enjoyed our stay here. The room is stylish, modern and clean, the breakfast excellent catering for both Japanese and Western taste. The restaurant in the evening has been a delight. The staff are so friendly and helpful. There is no view from the room, but most of the buildings seems to be a little pushed for space here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betty N
Ljubljana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Positive: great location, helpful staff, very good buffet breakfast (additional charge).
Negative: I was disappointed about the twin room. It was small, dusty, dark, no view, even though I lived in the 8th floor (women's floor). The window was looking on a neighboring building's stairs. What was really disturbing was a sizzling sound in the room, whose origin I could not find - perhaps there was a problem in electrical / telecommunications cables or the annoying sound came from the outside.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends