“Quite ok for a few days”

Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto
Ranked #17 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I paid for a room on the ninth floor which included breakfast and wireless. Rooms are small but quiet and comfortable. Quite convenient for walking to the imperial Palace, Nijo castle and many temples and shrines. Good location overall. Friendly and accommodating staff. Popular with tourists including US, Australian and Europeans. The laundry is handy. I would stay there again but I would take a smaller suitcase.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank PARollinson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Conveniently located to tourist spots like Pontocho & Nishiki Market. Surrounded by fantastic restaurants, food & shopping outlets. Easy access to buses/trains. Staff can speak fluent English and are very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sipoine
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful stay here. Customer service was great. Good position from the shopping district and Gion area. A choice to have breakfast beside the hotel from a bakery shop. Room was clean. Overall a happy customer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Suey_Jeffry
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Have only just got around to writing this review but feel it is worth writing now. The hotel was lovely with really comfortable, clean rooms, lovely bathrooms. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Great location, we hired bikes (directed by reception staff) to travel around this beautiful city. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ogling
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel was in easy walking distance of two tube stations, and a short walk from the river .The entrance was a little dark and the front door 'hidden' but once inside I couldn't find anything negative to say about this hotel.
The staff were very helpful and did everything they could to ensure we had a good stay. They were very knowledgeable about Kyoto and helped us to negotiate around the city, giving advise on bus routes etc.
We had a very pleasant surprise when checking in, as we got an upgrade to a twin corner room. This room was very spacious and the wet room was fantastic.

We didn't eat at the hotel as there were so many place to eat nearby. The location of the hotel is great as its easy to get to the main attractions from this hotel, whether it's by bus, train or subway. The Geisha district is within walking distance, as is the river. I would recommend this hotel and would stay again if I went back to Kyoto.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as these seem to be a little larger
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Julesbenziggy
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We couldn’t have made a better selection in Kyoto. As most have already stated, the location is perfect – close to the train station, many stores, restaurants and cafes. We usually had breakfast at the boulangerie next door because of the good selection, freshly baked pastries and reasonable prices. We took taxis most everywhere and it was easy to flag one down from the hotel. (Side note: every cab driver in Kyoto was polite and drove carefully). The rooms are immaculate and complete in amenities. The Royal Park Hotel provided cotton nightshirts, slippers, air deodorizer, toiletries, free WiFi, coffee making setup, etc. We had a triple room and we found it very convenient that the toilet/sink was in a separate room from the shower/sink.

I encountered one small occurrence worth mentioning. I went to the front desk to ask for restaurant suggestions. The receptionist was very helpful and provided me with a list of restaurants and created a map to pinpoint each location. Shortly after I went back to my room, another receptionist came to my room to ask if I had taken the silver pen from the reception desk. I indicated that I didn’t sign anything and didn’t have the pen. She said she’d trade me another pen if I’d return the silver one. I repeated that I didn’t have it, so she apologized for the interruption and left. This mildly bothered me because I didn’t want to be suspected of taking a hotel pen, so the following day I went to the same receptionist and asked if they found the silver pen. She indicated that she did and was apologetic. Anyway, it’s not a big deal, but the hotel probably shouldn’t use such nice pens at reception, that they feel compelled to them to chase them down if lost or taken.

I should note that the staff is proficient in English and all were very helpful. Brent at reception helped me a secure a wheelchair prior to my arrival. I was having trouble booking one for our stay because most websites were in Japanese. Brent provided me with quotes and made arrangements for the wheelchair including delivery and pickup service. He went above and beyond to provide exceptional service.

I would highly recommend The Royal Park Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank itsasmallworld
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Started at this hotel as a group of friends. There's an English speaking man working there who is very helpful for foreigners. There's a burger king across the street and a market nearby. Lots of food options available. The location is great and is close to the subway. The women's floor great because they provided extra items for women.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends