Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Matt A
Hermosa Beach, California

Good choice for Bonvoy members

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 22 Apr 2024via mobile
The location was okay. It’s not near Kyoto Station or in Gion, but we felt as if we were centrally located. It’s about 3 blocks from the nearest subway station and walkable to several popular streets.

The rooms were small but most Japanese hotel rooms are. Probably a little small for an American-style hotel. We really didn’t enjoy that we couldn’t see out the windows.

The on-site onsen was excellent and the gym was nice.

The best part for us was the free happy hour every day due to my Marriott status.

This is a very busy hotel and a good choice, although you could probably find a hotel in a more convenient location and with bigger rooms.
Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
£205
    £57
4.2 miles from The Chapter Kyoto, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Free parking
View more hotels in Kyoto
All reviews nespresso machine body wash public bath breakfast buffet the bus marriott titanium gender properties suite bathtub soba property shoes sake gym shampoo
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 April 2024 via mobile

Very thin walls and doors. You hear everything. Large breakfast food selection but poor quality and missing items like salt & pepper. No concierge service and laundry can take a few days. Also extremely (deceptively) small rooms. Finally, no windows. Just frosted glass. Not worth the hype nor the cost

Room tip: Get a much lower rate or avoid Ask for a room with a window (!) Look for alternate breakfasts Avoid laundry service
Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank marksM966BE
Reviewed 22 March 2024

Nice location with a beautiful Public Hot Spring Bath.
Loved taking a soak and enjoying a drink after that in the Bar. Overall a very good experience except for a few things.

The rooms are too small stuffed. The Lounge is very uncomfortable and in front of the Lobby and entrance, no privacy if someone wants to relax. The seats are very straight and no Sofa or some kind of comfort seating. The Restaurant entrance area should be opened for Lounge after the Bar closes at 10:00PM.

Surprisingly the restaurant was not serving dinner, so that was a big let down and discomfort.

Room tip: Nice location with amazing Public Hot Springs The Lounge is not very comfy and the rooms are stuffed and very small
Date of stay: March 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Moninder B
Reviewed 16 March 2024 via mobile

Very small rooms. Restaurant closed for dinner.
The lounge area was in front of reception. It should be cozy and comfortable seats in the lounge with some privacy.
I did not get any points for the spend.
Public baths were excellent and loved it.

Room tip: Try to take minimum luggage with you and be prepared to experience a little discomfort if you are lounge loving person.
Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2024

I stayed here for 3 nights and honestly I have a mixed feeling about this hotel - especially my experience in the first night. Although the associates here managed to fix my issues, but unfortunately I still have a mixed feeling and unsure whether I can recommend this hotel or not. My detailed review below:

1) Location: Yes it's a bit far from the train station, but it's not that bad. There's a bus stop that can take you to Kyoto Main Station. The main road doesn't seems to be noisy at night which is nice. You can also walk south to Kawaramachi area where there's plenty of shops and dining options, or you walk along the Kamo river. Kyoto National Garden and Imperial Palace is on the north side just about 7-10 minutes walk.

2) Lobby/Reception: The lobby is not big, but looks simple and modern. The restaurant is also located in the lobby. Reception area is a bit cramped especially when it gets busy. There's a Nespresso machine but I wish there's more than one. The queue can be long. Check-in process is a bit slow as the hotel was in a full capacity.

3) Room: Here's where the first issue happens. The room is small which I don't really mind, however, there is no view with the frosted glass window. I opened the window a bit and it's a bricked wall. Yes the interior is nice, layout is pretty well-thought, with a mixed of Japanese traditional tatami and modern furnishing, but having no view is just a big compromise for me as it feels claustrophobic and it also feels like I'm paying to stay in a fancy prison? Worse, at the top level, my room is facing to some sort of exhaust or generator or something, so I can hear constant humming noise which is also a compromise. As I'm disappointed with the room arrangement, I did not touch anything and asked through a chat if they can move me the a room with at least a view, where I can see outside world as well something like checking the actual weather before going out and so on. The associate asked me to wait as they trying to see if there's a spare room available, however, they made me waiting for 2 hours which is unprofessional. Sadly the front-desk manager Mr. Ozasa-san can't help much as the hotel is in full-occupation. He did at least apologizing for keeping me waiting and offered me another room with less noise (still no view) but he made a promise on my second night to move me to a bigger room with a view although it's a twin-bed configuration. I decided to see how it went through the first night and I end up not having a good and comfortable sleep. The situation just kept getting worse as in the morning during breakfast where I put into a waiting list as it seems the restaurant cannot hold all the guests when it's full occupancy. Anyway, on my second and third night, Mr. Ozasa-san did fulfill his promise and moved me to another room. Yes the room finally has view although it's still a bit obstructed with wire-mesh inside the glass (I guess it's for safety reason so it doesn't break easily?). The only compromise is the double-bed config but at this point I try not to care too much - having a view is more important for me so I don't feel like staying in a prison.

4) The Grill: Breakfast can be chaotic and be ready to be put in the waitlist if the occupancy is full. The options for the breakfast buffet is decent, good quality, but the coffee pot is not good. They have happy hour in the evening that you can do Japanese sake sampling (I do like the Yuzu sake). The finger foods that they offer doesn't have many options.

5) Public Bath: It's located close to the lobby. I like there are two options where you can stay indoor or in semi-outdoor area. The bath amenities have a decent quality and good smell too.

My final verdict, well it's a good boutique hotel, decent location, but beware of the caveats of having no view and most of the rooms are being designed like this. I really wish the hotel can be more transparent on the information given on the Marriott Bonvoy booking website, especially when choosing the room give us information what to expect on the view like normally given for any hotels (e.g. City View / Sea View / Garden View / Pool View / No View). Also service is better be improved, it seems the hotel is not ready for full-occupancy situation. Long check-in line, waitlist in the breakfast time, poor resolution time for any issues occurred, and this definitely tainted my whole stay experience. I do still appreciate to Mr. Ozasa-san for trying so hard to resolve issues during my stays. However, given from my whole experience, I think The Chapter will be my last option to stay in Kyoto.

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank emirhartato
Reviewed 1 March 2024 via mobile

Great location and hotel to get your zen back after Tokyo or Osaka.

The hotel is in a great location and easily accessible by public transportation from the bullet train. The main shopping area and restaurants are about a 15 minute walk. There are also sightseeing landmarks within a 30min walk.

The staff at check in were awesome and got some goodies upon arrival. They also upgraded my reservation and gave me options for a bigger room, but I decided on the larger room with a bigger bed. The happy hour for members is very limited from 5-630pm. They should really consider changing or extending the hours to 8pm. The staff stay behind the bar and don’t pick up plates so it would not be that big of a burden. The appetizers are very limited and I went there for the sake sampler.

The rooms are not big, but fine for a couple. The bathroom is also small, but I was surprised that they provided a 3 step facial cleanser and moisturizer… so nice!

There are no views, but the trade offs are worth it - the rooms completely blackout and the place is so quiet. I really booked the hotel for the public bath - beautifully designed for you to relax. I spent at least 2 hrs during a rainy day. So it’s a good alternative to bad weather or just a day for r&r.

I was not a big fan of the breakfast, but I’m biased with having an American breakfast. I should have taken the points, but it was fine. The staff at the restaurant and during happy hour are great. They were always happy to welcome you.

Overall, highly recommend and I would book again if I’m in town.

Room tip: Bo voy members lounge is from 5-630pm
Date of stay: February 2024