“English spoken and yet a typical local restaurant”
Review of Gion Kappa

Gion Kappa
Ranked #1,418 of 12,360 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Gion
Neighbourhood: Gion
Reviewed 31 May 2014

They say they are the first Japanese pub in Kyoto. If there is any equivalent to a pub, then it must be Gion Kappa. Very much like a tapas bar, but with Japanese atmosphere and dishes. All items are 390 yen, including the (mandatory, kind of cover charge) appetizer. This includes beer and sake, which was quite good for that price. I picked two or three items from each section of the menu and was not disappointed. You order as long as you wish, and the food is prepared in front of you if you sit at the counter. The dishes are not the best in my life, but are very good for the price. And there is a huge variety from cold appetizers, chicken and seafood on a skewer, deep fried items as well as omelet, soup and dessert. They don't have pictures, but an English menu, and one of the waiters spoke perfect English (don't try to talk in English to the cooks). I was the perfect evening for me tasting Japanese food in an informal nice place.

2  Thank DrBumBum

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had a great time at this Gion izakaya! We had no trouble getting in around 8 pm on a Friday night, although it started to get crowded while we were still there. Surprised that one reviewer said he or she would not recommend for the food. Our selections were very good, especially the grilled chicken, the steamed clams in sake, and the fried potatoes. There's a 390 yen cover charge, but they provide you a small appetizer for that. Everything else is 390 yen. I strongly recommend sitting at the counter, so you can watch the cooks at work.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Our wonderful hotel recommended this casual izakaya to us. It is full of locals,and a few visitors. We ended up going twice while in kyoto and were treated like old friends the second time. We sat at the counter and it was fun to see what our neighboring diners were eating. There is an English menu...but if you are familiar with izakaya places it will help you feel comfortable with what to expect. We ate mostly grilled and cooked items and we enjoyed the chicken wings,grilled salmon,roasted rice balls,and many other small dishes. I think everything was 390yen each so it's really reasonable. A good "real" dining experience in gion

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Paid about 12000 yen for four of us. Most items were Y390. Some delicious - grilled octopus, croquettes, maguro sushi roll, green chili peppers. Some not so delicious - beef cutlet was chewy. We sat on tatami mats in the back and had an eclectic group of Italians and Japanese with us. Wouldn't recommend it for the food, but we had a blast in terms of a good time!

1  Thank BloDaJo
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was a cozy and fun place to eat where everything was 390 yen. I guess I was so interested in the food that the person next to me had that he shared some with me!