Ryokan Heianbo
US$367
US$261
  • Restaurant
Hotel Monterey Kyoto(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
US$424
US$253
US$261
US$250
  • Restaurant
Hotel MyStays Kyoto Shijo(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$205
Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$161
US$1,740
US$1,389
  • Pool
Hotel Kintetsu Kyoto Station(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$210
JAPANiCAN.com
US$345
Rakuten Travel
All reviewsdouble futonkyoto stationprivate bathroomtraditional accommodationexcellent locationjapanese breakfastcomfortable sleeptrain and bustwo blocksconvenient locationstayed for nightslobbywifimattressesonsenhostseateries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great location for sightseeing Kyoto, nice Japanese experience, very nice staff and excellent breakfast for starting day. Rooms rather simple but cosy. Wifi available only in the reception. All in all good and worth going to.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcin2507
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This quaint little ryokan is located in a narrow alley within easy walking distance of Kyoto Station, but that doesn't detract from its charm. It's a small family-run operation, and the owners are quite friendly and accommodating. They stored our luggage for the day even after we checked out while we explored Kyoto.

We had two rooms, the only two without their own toilets. It was fine since our two rooms were on an upper floor by themselves, with the toilet/sink area only shared between those two rooms. A good option for two couples or a family stay, as they are pretty private on the upper floor.

Rooms are quiet and clean, with private sink and showers in addition to the shared sink and public bath rooms. Our room had two opening windows, a tea set, and though sleeping on the tatami floor on futons was stiffer than western mattresses, but certainly not uncomfortable.

Heianbo is near the train station for catching a train or bus to anywhere in the city, and is also located right next to the large Kyoto Yodobashi electronics superstore. Near the station are also lots of restaurant and cafe options, with a large shopping area attached directly to the station.

Traditional Japanese breakfast is offered, but must be requested at least the day before. A fun experience, as you eat in the large dining room with other guests as the family bustles about.

We stayed for two nights, as some in our party can only take the futon/shared toilet situation in limited quantities. :)

Not as fancy as the larger, pricier ryokans, but this little operation has all the charm of a bed & breakfast located right in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Two rooms require a shared toilet, and they only share with one another.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AaronZOOM
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Other than the good location of the hotel and relatively lower room rates, the service level is not what I had expected from the Japanese.
Upon arrival at 3pm which was the check in time, the tiny lobby was dark with lights turned off and no one to be seen.
We had to call out loudly 'konnichiwa!' before the lady ryokan owner came down from the upper floor. Even upon seeing us with our big luggages, she did not smile or greet us but gave us a bewildered look. After we told her we were there to check in and showed her our print out of booking form, did she become enlightened and led us to our tiny room.
The room looked small and old but clean.
However, the walls are very thin and we were awoken by guests who moved about in their room or walked past out room.

What's worst, I woke up to a whole nasty surprise! I had lots of bed bug bites all over my neck and legs.
As we were in a hurry to go out and the bites didn't itch at first, we did not ask to speak to the lady owner.
Throughout the day of sightseeing, I was feeling extremely itchy on my neck , hands and legs.
We immediately went to a pharmacy in kyoto city in the evening to buy medication for bed bug bites.
When we returned to the ryokan, I asked to see the lady owner and showed her the red, swollen bites on my hands and neck and the medication I bought. She apologized and readily changed the futon, blanket and pillow on our request.
I googled and realised that I am allergic to the chemicals released by the bugs when they bite, that hives developed on many parts of my body.
As such, I had to avoid a very long list of food and fruits apart from putting up with the discomfort.
That certainly affected my vacation to a certain degree!
I feel that the lady owner should have offered to at least reimburse me for the medication as a gesture of apology or a discount on the room.
However, none of that happened. The next morning, upon check out, she did not even asked if I was feeling better. Only said 'arigato' and good 'sayonara'...
I wished we had never stepped into this ryokan!

• Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank Caroline T
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Ryokan Heianbro is a great way for you to experience the traditional accommodation of Japan.

Very close to the station, although we did get lost due to another tourist directions headed us in the opposite way. A kind local stopped and helped and then we were on the way.

We stayed here as we wanted to experience the traditional living, the bedding on the floor was to hard for me but glad I did it and would welcome Heianbro for anyone wanting to stay close to the station.

Unfortunately my husband was very sick in Kyoto so we used our room a lot and found it very spacious with good air con and we also had private bath and toilet (which was a surprise as we only paid for private bath not toilet).

Pro's - Close to the station, hospitality, spacious rooms, private amenities, Air con, high speed internet in foyer, japanese breakfast.

Con's - For me the bedding ( too hard), no internet in the room,

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

easy walking from the kyoto station; Quiet side street. ..... very clean, comfortable affordable accommodations, courteous staff. Had to return to Kyoto unexpectedly on the same trip; chose this ryokan to come back to!

Room Tip: book early (months ahead) to get best room. Ours was assigned. It was great ! Had a sitting room and a view of the front entrance and quiet street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family