“Central location, great value”
Review of Hotel Alpha Kyoto

Hotel Alpha Kyoto
Ranked #325 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Needed an inexpensive room close to shops and main walking area. Great hotel for the price. Small but clean rooms. I even got a little bit of a view. Free wifi. The only downside for me was that I had rented a bike near Kyoto Station, but the hotel doesn't provide secure bicycle parking, so I had to park at a lot several blocks away.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank NaniBanani77

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Convenient location, reasonably clean and the small room size is to be expected given the budget price, but the mattresses and pillows are in desperate need of replacement - very lumpy! That, combined with the stuffiness of the room (there is air-con, but in early April it was still set to hot air), meant I had possibly the worst sleep I've ever had in hotels.

Complimentary wi-fi is a bonus.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The hotel was decent, at least for the cheaper price and location. But you pay for what you get: horrible pillows, dirty bedcover, small room, and staff that barely understands and speaks English.

The location is good: Super close to a subway stop and a bunch of buses, and right on Kawaramachi street---full of restaurants and shops. A “gourmet city” grocery store decently nearby, but kind of hidden. The common area by reception is nice to hang out and play cards or have a snack. The room itself: had a fridge, so that was nice. Bathroom was small but clean and did the job. But overall it was pretty much what you’d expect from a cheap hotel: small room, old carpeting, furniture, curtains, and bedcover…. although the bedcover was GROSS, dirty, and stained… We didn’t use it at all, and kind of froze at night because we only used the sheet. But the WORST thing was the PILLOWS… really small and thin and had some kind of “beads” or something in them?? Hard beads in a small crappy pillow? I used sweatshirts and pants as a “makeshift pillow”, and still had a horrible neck ache after the first night and continued for the following 3 nights.

Oh yea… and on the hotel listing it said “microwave available upon request”--um, apparently that means you have to give food to the reception staff to cook it in the back!? How annoying and strange.

I guess I would stay here again just for the price, but the ridiculous not-really-a- pillow was a pretty big issue for me, and usually I don’t ever think or care about the pillow aspect of a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Small room, as with everywhere in Japan! Perfectly clean, average size bathroom and room for here.
Very convenient location, 1 block from Kyotoshiyakushomae Station and 1.1k from the Gion district.
Good place to explore the town from!! Free WiFi too :) always a plus for researching the city :)

Reviewed 10 November 2012

This hotel is cheap compared to other hotels in the neighborhood and sits at a very convenient location in a downtown area within walking distance from a few stations.

I stayed here for multiple nights. On the first night, I regretted for the first time having taken the
tripadvisor advice for this hotel. Hotel itself is okay, but the smell in the room was so bad that I could not really sleep through the night. I hope that this is not a Japanese tradition, but it seems
that the only difference between non-smoking and smoking room is ashtray. While my room did
not have an ashtray and the staff kept saying the room is non-smoking, it certainly was tobacco smoke. My request for room change was declined because the hotel, I was told, was full.

The only suggestion the staff made was either spraying freshener or opening window.
I had window open for the night. Apparently, a nightclub is next door so I could hear well the noise. For the following nights, I always kept the window open and the odor was largely under control (although it was cold).

Other than this issue, the hotel is probably okay and the staff were kind.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank fscholar
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Very old, the carpet and walls are dirty and stained, and the worst was the bed. I couldn't help scratching eveywhere on my skin because felt so itchy in bed, too old bed. Free coffee machine was out of order when I arrived. At the front, people were kind but I'll never stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank terri369
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Alpha in December 2011, during a longer trip through Japan.
The hotel is extremely well positioned, very close to Gyon, the city centre, the river, subway and bus stops. The surrounding area is full of well priced restaurants, there's a 7/11 around the corner, Loft and Uniqlo are also close.
The lobby was probably the area of the hotel I enjoyed the most as it's really comfy, offers free coffee and tea, and free wifi - in a very cold December in Kyoto, this was a warm place to be in!
It's true that rooms are a bit old and tiny, but I was not at all bothered by this, as I've spent most of my time around the city. What I really enjoyed was the bathroom with the tub, and the complimentary Shiseido amenities. Plus, the sign that the water is safe for drinking made me enjoy several long warm baths!
I would perhaps not recommend the breakfast - was a bit pricey for the limited choice they offered.
The staff was pretty friendly and they speak English, they even sold bus cards and helped me understand what buses I had to take.
I would totally recommend the hotel if you're looking for a convenient place to stay close to the centre!

Room Tip: The hotel is pricier during weekends, so if you can make it during the weekdays, you might get great...