“Good location, helpful staff, recommended”
Review of Hotel Alpha Kyoto

Hotel Alpha Kyoto
Ranked #324 of 374 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We are just returned from 5 days in Kyoto at the Hotel Alpha.

We were having a difficult time finding anywhere in Kyoto due to the time of year pairing w/ the cherry blossom bloom (Sakura).

Alpha is not a particularly cheap accommodation, however, its location and helpful staff make it a recommendation. We ended up paying about $650 US for 5 nights in a double room.

Free internet is available in the lobby, however, there is only one computer available and you may have to jockey for it.

Desk staff speak English-some more than others. There was one female desk staff on duty during days when we stayed and she was particularly helpful. Daytime shift will have better English than PMs.

Rooms are small by American standards. You will have limited walking space in your room with two bags per person.

Rooms have a television and refrigerator and are equipped with an alarm clock and room lighting controls in the headboard. The mattress was comfortable.

The bathroom was small, but featured immediate hot water with good water pressure. Soap/shampoo/conditioner are provided as it heated toilet seat, hair dryer, disposable razors, toothbrushes with paste and combs.

The room also has a pot for boiling water for tea.

The room temperature was rather warm, however, tolerable compared to the hotel we stayed at in Tokyo (Chisun Inn-Asakusa). The room didn't have individual temperature controls at the time we visited, or they were inactive. Street noise was a non issue. The room also had a screen to pull at night to block out the morning light, which was a nice feature.

The hotel is in an alley right around the corner from a 7/11, which was convenient for drinks/snacks. Alpha is within walking distance of lots of shopping and restaurants.

It is also right off of a busline and a short trip to the Kyoto station (appx 15 minutes by cab or bus). It is half a block from the subway station, as well.

From what I saw, there are cheaper accommodations in Kyoto that I probably would've preferred if available, however, Alpha is not a bad choice.

Biggest drawback is the price for the caliber of accommodation. Biggest asset is location.

I would stay at Alpha again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 23 April 2009

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Thankfully, we only booked one night at Hotel Alpha.
There was mold on the shower curtain and the ceiling of the bathroom. I guess we should have guessed that it wasn't going to be pleasant when we found a bottle of "fabric refresher" among the room "amenities".
The carpet was dirty and stained. The final straw for me was finding dried blood stains on the ripped bedspread. If there had been another hotel available that night (the middle of leaf watching season for Kyoto) we would have been out of there like a shot.
Fodor's most recent guidebook to Japan lists it as clean, friendly and convenient. Well, it is convenient...

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank ready2fly55
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. The room was smelly. The bathroom smelled like mold, and the windows couldn't be opened. The blanket and the carpet were dirty.
Overall, the location is great, but every night we didn't want to come back to our room.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adereth
Reviewed 30 September 2007

I wish their towels were cleaner, carpet were neater. But knowing how annal Japanese are, I somewhat just believed they've cleaned it to the best they could (and a pair of flipflop helps). The location is unbeatable. I chose this place in order to have a shorter walk to the view of bonfire in Summer festival. The market right around the corner was a pleasant surprise. It's close to the subway station, which was a blssing in a hot summer. In all, I was happy with my stay there.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2006

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and thought that I would be getting a great deal on a clean, small hotel in the heart of Kyoto. Well, it is small and in a great location but it was certainly not clean. After requesting a non-smoking room (my wife has asthma) I was told there were none available upon arrival. Normally this isn't that big of a deal as most hotels have independent air control in each room. The Alpha Hotel, however, has central air for each floor if not the entire building. Since we were put on a smoking floor the room was VERY smoky. I have traveled in Asia extensively and recognize the difficulty in avoiding smoke, but this was excessive. In addition, the carpets and beddings were stained and dirty. The hotel staff was helpful and after 2 days moved us to a twin room on a non-smkoing floor but the damage had been done as my wife became quite sick. In general, I would say that if you smoke it is probably fine, but if you appreciate cleanliness when paying near $100/night then I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family