“Great place to stay”

Kyoto Brighton Hotel
Ranked #21 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed at Brighton Hotel for our recent family trip to Japan. We had a minor mishap with the children going missing and the stuff were really fantastic in providing us with the support. They helped to liasise with the police and children returned safely. The manager even went out serching the city on his bicycle. Where else would you get such service?

The rooms we stayed in was spacious, modern and clean. The twin rooms had good sized beds and two children slept in one bed no problems. (6 and 10 year old)

The location seemed to be a little out of the way, but shuttle bus to the subway station made it easy to get to. The shuttle location when you come up to the road level is not marked, so do follow the map carefully and exit from the correct exit number.

There is a pool at this hotel, but it will cost 1000 yen (per day/ person). Paying to use the hotel seems quite common in Japan.

Overall a great place to stay and we will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2011

I stayed here with my husband on our vacation in Kyoto last year. The hotel is clean, staff is unbelievely polite and helpful. The room is very spacious and clean in a modern Japanese decor. The beds are firm which is the preferred choice in Asia. The only negative is that there are no close restaurants or shops near by. It's located in a primarily residential area. However, the hotel does provide free shuttle service to the train station which is about a 15 minute walk.
Also, there is only wired internet connection in the rooms. Don't bother bringing your ipads.
All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2011

We stayed at the Brighton after an extended vacation in Asia. All of the personnel spoke English and really catered to us as we were the only non-Asian people staying there (only because of the earthquake/radiation scare). The Brighton is truly a gem in Kyoto.The concierge, in particular, was very helpful for us to secure our bullet train tickets to Tokyo Narita Airport. She discovered that the Narita express was canceled during non-rush hours to save energy - she wrote out detailed instructions for the JR agents to purchase tickets- and arranged a taxi for us early in the day.
One day we returned to the hotel; our room was not yet cleaned, so they offered us coffee and cakes at the lobby cafe. We were thrilled because their espresso was the best!!

Our room was updated, terrifically modern. Western style. Bathrooms wonderful. One downside, the only English channel was BBC news. The Herald Tribune was at our door every morning. Yes, it is a distance from the center of town, but their shuttle runs precisely every 20 minutes and is very convenient. There are also buses quite close to the hotel. Quiet retreat!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bberbs
Reviewed 13 April 2011

This hotel has everything going for it. The rooms are fantastic! Large and spacious. The bathroom is huge, and they supply a basket so that you can put all your bathroom stuff into it for easy access. Made it so much more comfortable, as we stayed here for 10 days.

All staff were excellent! Most spoke English well, and were very helpful! Especially the concierge that helped us with our travels! We couldnt say more pleasant things about them.

Location could be better, but the hotel does provide a shuttle to the edge of the city centre every 20 minutes. We did catch a taxi a few times though, as where we were within the city was not near the shuttle.

As someone has said in another post, eating in the hotel is quite expensive. I would recommend eating elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luisa K
Reviewed 8 March 2011

My wife and I spent 4 days at this hotel and we were thrilled with the level of service, hospitality, and room. We stayed in a newly renovated deluxe room with oversized Queen bed and it was one of the best rooms I have ever stayed at in Japan. The large shower area was especially nice. The room included a divan and spacious desk area. Everyone at this hotel seems to speak good English and they are all anxious to help you in any way they can. We were especially impressed by the Concierge service. My wife was slightly ill one night and the concierge went out of their way to help us. There restaurant recommendations were very good and they even set us up at a great Tempura restaurant at 25% discount because the concierge knew the chef. I was a little concerned about this arrangement until I went on internet and found out the Ten-you restaurant was top rated and our meal reflected the ratings - it was excellent. The only negative to this hotel is its location. There is a free shuttle every 20 minutes to a subway station but if you travel the city by bus as I like to do, you will have to walk 10-15 minutes to the nearest bus stop. My wife and I don't mind walking so this was not a problem. We took the shuttle each morning and then walked 5 minutes to a Starbucks a quick breakfast. from there it was another 5 minute walk to a bus stop so location never was a problem for us. The best part of this hotel was the price - I was able to get the room for $145/night on hotels.com - a great bargain.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RG59Traveler
Reviewed 18 January 2011

The hotel itself is great and we got a real good price for our room which was huge.

As others have said the location isn't great but the shuttle bus which is on a loop between the hotel and downtown every 20 mins helps with that.

Eating at the hotel is very expensive though - continental style breakfast of tea and toast £20!!! Couple of nearby coffee places do more for much less though.

Staff are super helpful and speak excellent English.

No wifi but there is LAN access and a cable for you to use hidden in a drawer!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank I_MLeicester
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I stayed at the Brighton Hotel for 4 nights during the peak of the Koyo (autumn leaves) season this past November. The hotel is spotless and the service impeccable. The rooms are large by Japanese standards. Despite the atrium layout, the room was very quiet. I believe this is partly due to the hotel's location in a residential neighborhood, and partly because the guests appeared mainly to be middle-aged or older Japanese couples. There is also an reception hall for weddings and meetings, but the whole place was very serene - not like a business hotel, for certain. I think I saw only one non-Japanese person during my stay, but not to worry, as the level of English on the part of the hotel staff is very good. I arranged for my large suitcase to be sent to my hotel in Tokyo (the next stage of my trip), and the bellhop took care of everything with a high level of professionalism and courtesy. There is a Michelin-starred French restaurant in the hotel, but I did not have a chance to try it.

If there were one potential drawback, it would be that the hotel is not particularly near public transportation. There is free shuttle bus that runs every 20 minutes, from about 8 AM to 9 PM or so, from the hotel to one of the entrances to the Karasuma-Oike subway station. It is quite punctual. I did walk once from Marutamachi subway station to the hotel, and that took about 20-30 minutes. I often took taxis; during regular hours, there would always be a queue of taxis waiting outside. Fares to most areas of interest would be about 1000-1500 yen. Note, though, that one morning I needed to go to Kyoto Station at 5 AM to travel to Hiroshima, and there were no taxis at that hour outside, but the doorman called for one, who arrived in about 5 minutes.

As I had mentioned, the hotel is located in an essentially residential area, so there's really not much in the way of shopping or tourist sites. There are some small local restaurants which are nice, and if you just want a simple snack, there is a 7-11 convenience store nearby. It is extremely quiet and somewhat dark at night, but there always seemed to be people walking their dogs, or riding bicycles - it seemed quite safe.

I would definitely consider staying here again on a future trip to Kyoto.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo