“very comfortable stay”

Kyoto Brighton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Excellent service at this hotel. The first room we were given smelt of smoke but we were moved swiftly. The hotel itself is a bit far out which can be seen as an advantage but as we didn't eat at the hotel, preferring to eat in city restaurants, this was a disadvantage for us. The room was very comfortable with a fantastic bathroom!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dorsettreelady

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and it was wonderfull. The service-level of the staff was extremely high. Beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was superbe. We had dinner in the hotel one evening, enjoyed it. Had a very nice stay! Will stay again when in Kyoto..

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights for a family trip. The hotel is a bit far from the main train station and you will need to take a taxi to get there. However, the location is quiet and safe. The service at the hotel was wonderful, the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable for US travelers. They have a lovely deep soaking bathtub in each room. We enjoyed the breakfast - both Western and Japanese styles - in the hotel. Their cafe in the lobby was a good option for late afternoon snack.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Japanese customer service is always very impressive, it's good hotel with smiley and helpful staff. Location is not very convenient as it's far from the subway, but hotel offers shuttle bus which is quite handy.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank R Y
Reviewed 31 July 2014

July 14-17, 2014 was my stay at this wonderful gem of a hotel. The staff and service was that of a 5 star hotel. The food wasn't that great and extremely expensive (buffet breakfast was $29USD) so I only at there once, but I was too busy to eat in the hotel anyway. Plus, they were more than willing to guide you to other places to eat that were walking distance. My room was spacious and modern with free wi-fi and a very comfortable bed. There wasn't much view because it was in a neighborhood but it was Kyoto, not Tokyo. Walking to the train, I got to see daily life, like kids walking to school, people riding their bikes to work and parents waiving to children. I really enjoyed that. I even saw old men playing Bacci ball at a near by school at night.

I really worked the concierge. That poor woman dutifully and cheerfully answered ALL my questions and took extremely good care of me. I was bowed to every time I was driven away in a cab. (felt weird but kinda cool too).

There was live entertainment in the lobby every night. Mostly classical music, either ensembles or solo singers and a crowed that lined up to see the show every night too.

I highly recommend this hotel. Everything was an easy walk and quite peaceful because it wasn't on the main streets. LOVED the service and comfort of the rooms. I hope you will go there at tell them about this review. I wish I could do more, but all I can do is write this review that says this is an excellent place to stay in Kyoto!

Oh, and I almost forgot. There's a FREE shuttle that takes you into downtown Kyoto every 20 minutes!

Room Tip: The rooms are in an atrium formation. They all face the inside.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Just facts.

1. Yes the hotel is a bit out the way, but not ridiculous.
2. New designed 'EN' rooms, lovely and classic "old" Japanese style.
3. Breakfast a bit expensive but good selection and in the heat of the summer saves you going out in the morning & the heat!
4. Very very expensive restaurants. We were 35,000 yen for dinner, including a little sake and 1 small glass of wine.
5. And the reason for the 3 stars. After spending 35,000 yen on dinner, I was charged 700 yen for a small glass of milk for our baby after she woke up!!!!

I challenged this and was met with a blank look and told "milk".

Must have come from a Kobe cow.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank G3DC
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is my third time staying in the Brighton Hotel.My family and I stayed there for four nights in June.We stay here because we love the location of the hotel in a quiet Kyoto neighborhood. Don't stay here if you want to be in the hustle and bustle of downtown Kyoto because this location is the opposite. There is a shuttle bus that takes you to the local train station where you can catch a train downtown. The hotel area is wonderful to walk in and my husband just discovered a local business that makes its own shoyu (soy sauce) nearby. We also found a wonderful tofu restaurant that has delicious food.
The Brighton Hotel is a medium size hotel with a small and personal hotel feeling inside. There are only five floors in the hotel The rooms are contemporary and spacious with all the usual comforts and amenities. We do not usually dine or eat breakfast in the hotels we stay in when we travel.The Brighton is expensive but that is normal for most hotels . We prefer to explore other places to eat. They do have coffee and tea facilities in the room. We usually pick up a pastry or snack in one of the many shops downtown the previous day. It is sufficient to have with tea or coffee as an early breakfast. The rooms are fairly quiet except in the evening when they have a short musical act in the atrium area of the hotel. While we stayed there it was opera and piano music.The music can be heard a little in the room but i think if a tv is on it would block out the music. Staff in the hotel are very pleasant and efficient making it a smooth and enjoyable experience. My only complaint was the swimming pool did not open until July 5th!!!! It was very hot in Kyoto while we were there. After a day of sightseeing and a lot of walking my son was very disappointed that he could not cool off with a swim. Our checkout date from the hotel was July 4th.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family