“Cool Place to Stay”

Ranked #241 of 332 Speciality lodging in Kyoto
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Cool Place to Stay”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Green Peace is a pretty cool place to stay. Very relaxed, easy going people. Mostly international students and travelers from everywhere. It was nice because there are also Japanese students there, so you have the opportunity to hear their perspective. I think that the people who wrote really bad reviews have some weird issues. I never saw any bugs or rodents. That's crazy. If you are a laid back person who wants to travel on the cheap, check it out.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank buckyaroo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
USA
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Japan is considered one of the cleanest, safest and most polite countries in the world. I should know. I lived in Japan for 10 years. I returned to Japan after a lengthy absence and wanted a more economical place to stay during my brief visit of three months. I located Green Peace on the internet and was impressed with its "appearance" and description. In addition, the manager, Ohashi, responded to my enquiry immediately such that I was lead to believe the establishment was clean and professional, in short everything that I had experienced before during my 10-year stay in Japan as a university professor. The description of Ohashi as given by the "Indoor Camping" review is completely accurate as are the descriptions of this "hostel" as being home to cockroaches, rats and other vermin. Most embarrassing for me was the very poor introduction Ohashi made of Japan by being, for lack of a better description, rude, crude and vulgar. "Don't make no stinky [--]" was one of her favorite expressions. As a result, I spoke only Japanese with her, hoping she would be more "civilized" in her own language. Not so. In short, if you stay at Green Peace you will leave Japan with less than a positive opinion of this extraordinary country.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude, Crude and Dirty
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank jpnthailand

Travellers are raving about these Kyoto hotels

Reviewed 22 April 2006

Green peace was a very dirty place,if you're thinking about living a long time in Kyoto,Green Peace is not your choice.You'll get sick very soon. Cocroaches and rats will be your room-mates,and the kerosine stove is pretty stinky. The only thing i can say after 'living' 2 years in that 'cave' is: PLEASE, DON'T SPEND YOUR TIME AND MONEY IN SUCH PLACE.

• Stayed January 2002
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
GreenPeaceInKyoto, Owner, Manager at Green Peace in Kyoto, responded to this review, 17 January 2008
In 2002, the neighbors to my establishment began doing renovations to their home. While renovating their kitchen drainpipe, rats were discovered and the rats left their property and came to mine. The rats were here for only 2 months, then through a series of exterminations, they were eliminated. There have been no rats before or after this time.
Reviewed 30 March 2006

I completely agree with the other review. This place is very dirty and the manager is quite insane. Knocks on your door at 4 in the morning to find out who left a dirty dish in the sink. I wouldn't be able to complain if it was mine, but since she has no idea whose it actually is, she knocks on EVERY door till she finds the person.
I am embarassed to bring friends here because it is so dirty... it is more like indoor camping then a guest house. I know of people that when they arrived and they were sick for weeks on end, which I would attribute to the mold in every room. Everything has grease on it due to the poor ventilation (by poor I mean NO). There are notes on everything from how to go to the washroom to operating a key. I would recommend that you stay as far away from this place that you could. Warn people and pled with them from the deepest part of your soul not to come here because that is what this place will take from you.

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 December 2005

Guest house Greenpeace in Kyoto is the worst place I've ever stayed at. The place was awful, dirty and unhabitable, The manager Chikako Ohashi is short tempered person, that shout to their customers without reason.
I've seen that place on internet and looks nice, well, I arrived there on December 2005 and I paid 21500 yens (215 dollars) supposed to be for 15 days, I stayed there that night, I got sick and I had to go to hospital, after few days I decided not to go back to that house, so I asked her to refund me some money, she was anger to me and she said that she didn't refund me nothing, she yelled.That was very expensive for one night, don't you think so???
I am really upset because in Kyoto there is no place for foreigners to complain about this situations, or ask for your rights.
PLEASE IF YOU KNOW SOMEBODY IS GOING TO KYOTO, ADVISE HER OR HIM ABOUT GREENPEACE GUESTHOUSE, WHEREVER IN WORLD YOU ARE, YOU ARE GOING TO WASTE ALL YOUR MONEY.
THANKS