“Nice little gem”

Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto
Ranked #53 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was a little unsure of booking Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto, although in the end plumped for it due to its proximity to Kyoto Station. Upon arrival to Kyoto Station via the Osaka Airport Limousine Bus, I could not find the hotel, and had to ask a few people for directions. The hotel currently has scaffolding over it and it is very easy to miss the entrance. However, it is located underneath the Kyoto Tower, albeit slightly leftwards by 100 paces.

When I checked in, I was greeted with smiles and pleasantries as I have become accustomed to in Japan. I checked in at 9am and the guy who dealt with me said I could not have my room until 3pm, and would not budge for a slightly earlier time. That said, I was able to store my luggage safely with them, and went out to explore the city for a few hours.

The room at Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto was extremely small, even by Japanese standards. I had trouble drying myself in the bathroom (or should that be called shower cubicle with toilet?) and kept banging my arms and knees on the toilet. The bed is very comfy, but the pillows are very hard. I found the housekeeping to be of a very high standard and not only was my room cleaned each day, but also there was a nice air-freshener used to make it seem as good as new each morning.

There is free wifi all over the hotel, which can be used on all devices (laptop, iPhone etc). In your room, there is wifi and LAN options. You get clear instructions in your room as to how to use the wifi. I found the speed to be of a good standard, and it was very stable.

The location of Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto is its biggest asset. Literally a stone's throw from the main bus terminal in the city, which can take you anywhere you want. In the hotel reception, there are many tourist facilities in English, guiding you on which temples to visit, and which buses you need to get there. I found this very helpful, and I would advise everyone on reading up on this information one morning before you head out.

If I ever return to Kyoto, I shall probably be using Hotel Hokke Club again. I was left very impressed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BackpackerLee

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Good location. Easy to find from train station. Friendly staff, speak limited English. Clean but no windows, small room, small bathroom. ..does the job, not fancy. Would recommend if just for sleeping at night since no windows.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This 3 star hotel exceeded my expectations. The seat warmer on the bidet was a pleasant surprise, free amenities for ladies a nice touch and the origami crane much nicer than mints on your pillow. Overall highly recommend if you are not spending a lot of time in the hotel. ( my room was small, but suited me fine)

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The room was small but that was to be expected. The location on the other hand was superb! It is directly across the Kyoto station - just 5 mins walk away.

Breakfast at the cafe downstairs is serves good toast and coffee @ 400yen. I had the same set for three days as it was yummy!

Easy access to food and shopping which is right behind (forgot the shopping center name). On level 6, there is many Japanese restaurants and they are very affordable.

They have vending machines including the laundry/washing machines which was great!

The staff could speak good English, so there wasn't any problem with communication. They were helpful and efficient with requests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst we were in Kyoto. Its not the most glamorous or luxurious but it was perfect for our needs. The room was clean and tidy, a little on the small side but hey, all we were going to do was sleep in it so it was fine. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, right across from the train station so it was a great base from which to explore Kyoto.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I decided to stay in the Hotel Hokke sun as the price seemed reasonable at the time of booking. I had booked last minute and could not be more pleased with my choice. The staff where amazing, the cafe downstairs was awesome, and the facilities were superb. After a week of rough travelling I discovered they had a coin operated laundromat downstairs where was super easy to use and operate. I will be coming back to the Hotel Hokke sun next time and staying for even longer!.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Functional clean and quiet, and wonderfully central for someone coming in by train. That the room was small with little natural light was balanced by it being a very comfortable bed and providing three gerat nights' sleep! Good, lively and full restaurant right downstairs.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo