All reviewsprivate bathjapanese breakfasttraditional ryokanryokan experiencebath experiencethe location is perfectshabu shabuauthentic japanese experiencemorning and eveningtime slotgion areaperfect ryokantofujapanese stayregular hotelseparate roomstatami mat room
Reviewed 26 October 2017

our family 4 persons stayed at motonago for 2 days, it‘s a great Japanese traditional Hotel, Both breakfest and dinner are very good. excellent location. I want to travel more days in kyoto and can live in motonago, next time, I will choose them again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Wonderful Ryokan in old town Kyoto. Great location - you can walk to many of the sights, shopping and restaurants in Gion. The building, rooms and garden were immaculate complete with excellent service and meals. It really was a feeling of how Japan was like in the past. A wonderful contrast to the modern Japan. We would definitely stay at Mononago again.

Room Tip: Room C is larger, on the 2nd floor with a view of the garden and has a private bath & toilet
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2017

This has been my first time in a ryoakan, so I cannot compare Motonago to any other accomodation. But it has been really one of the best experiences of my life. You read everywhere that ryoakans are a must if you visit Japan: Motonago is for me the strongest image of Japan that I took from this beautiful country.
The building is exactly what you can imagine of a traditional japanese house, the room that we had was very big, the futon comfortable (we were a little worried to sleep on the floor, but it has not been an issue), food is excellent, and so are the service, the public bath, the lady at the reception and the one that served the food, the position in the middle of Gion. All superb.
Don't miss it.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

With just a day to spend on Kyoto, I could not have found a better place and experience. The Motonago is not only located in a great location, steps from shrines, temples but Motonago was also a major part in experiencing what Kyoto was/is. As a ryokan, it gave you a sense of what has been provided throughout Japan for centuries as many people traveled about trading, fighting, and exploring.
Its meals, private baths, and traditional rooms were a great addition to my stay and has instilled in me a desire to return some day and experience more.
Wonderful staff, food was good and the atmosphere was an amazing cultural experience.

I can't see this being great for a family with smaller children but for soloist and couples that want to continue their experience of japan after they have walked through all the sites during the day, it's ideal.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank CFA_Chicago
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We had a terrific time in Motonago. The location is unusually convenient: minutes away from the atmospheric Gion, also close to downtown Kyoto. We had a beautiful room with a traditional, sculpted garden. The staff were attentive and very friendly. And, in a traditional ryokan fashion, you had to book the bath / washroom to use it privately - this actually worked very well for our schedule and added an endearing quirk to our stay. Highly recommended to all travellers wishing to experience the traditional Japnese inn.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends