“This is the best hotel I've ever stayed...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Watazen

Watazen
Ranked #52 of 363 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This is the best hotel I've ever stayed...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We (my husband, my 5-year daughter and I) stayed in many hotels during our trip to Japan this December (Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto and Osaka), and this hotel is the BEST!

The price and location are perfect. It is very close to the 锦市场, a local market, and also to department stores, small grocery stores, etc. The only thing is, it took us a little while walking from the subway station to the hotel with two heavy suitcases. The staff are extremely nice and helpful! The staff gave us very clear directions to the 金阁寺and 清水寺。It's very convenient to take a bus to those two attractions. I love their Japanese style room (with private toilet, no private shower, but you can use the public shower or the bath room/hot spring at B1 floor). The room is very neat, with fresh flowers every day. A lady in kimono served tea for us right after we arrived there. Kids' Japanese style clothes are also provided! The Japanese style breakfast is delicious, especially their steamed rice:-)

We stayed two Japanese style rooms in Japan this time, and I prefer WATAZEN. The other Japanese style room is in Hakone 'Hakone no mori' which is much more expensive (about $100 for each adult, and $80 for kid, so it's about $290 for one night.by contrast, WATAZEN is $50-60 for each adult and $10 for kid, total is about $120-130 for each night) . The Hakone-no-nori provides breakfast and dinner, but no kids' Japanese style clothes (kimono). WATAZEN offers breakfast and kimono for kids. My daughter also loves this hotel very much.

In short, I love this hotel and I strongly recommend this ryokan to any one traveling to Kyoto. The weather during our stay in Kyoto was terrible but we still love Kyoto the most among all the cities we traveled in Japan.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hang Z
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thak you very much for your staying at WATAZEN.
We are so happy to hear that you had enjoyed staying at WATAZEN and yo love Japan.
Kyoto has more than 1200 years history. There are many temples aan shrines.
We want you not only to experience Japanese foods but "O-MO-TE-NA-SHI".

We hope we can serve you again when you travel Japan next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Port Hope, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

This was a great location, walking distance to so many attractions, easy to the subway. There are lots of shops and restaurants within two or three blocks, including Nishiki Market. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, with very good English, which made my stay easier! I didn't take advantage of the public bath, as I was moved, when requested, to a room with a private bath. The western breakfast, included during my stay, was minimal, just some white bread, white buns with raisins, hard cooked boiled eggs, and tea or coffee. The Japanese breakfast (extra charge) looked quite elaborate, with little braziers on the table for cooking, and multiple plates. The futon was comfy, (but still a futon, so hard!) there was a small table and chairs as well as the traditional table with on-floor seating. I would definitely recommend this ryokan.

Room Tip: unless you want to use the public baths, be sure to specify private bath, not just private toilet in...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Did you enjoy Kyoto?
Watazen locates at city center of Kyoto.
I think it is convenient to go to temples and shrines by city bus or sbuway.

We offer contenetal breakfast only in summer and winter preriod.
It is very simple one but free.

We want to try Japanese breakfast for foreign guests.
When you have Japanese breakfast in other season, you can enjoy coffee or tea freely.

We hope we can serve you again in near furure.
Thank you again.
Irvine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

if you want the true ryokan experience, this place is not authentic enough. it's a good hotel, comfortable and clean. I was disappointed because I stayed at a very authentic ryokan in Takayama. In comparison, this place is too commercial.

Room Tip: Japanese style room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for staying at Watazen.
We are so sorry to be unable to repry to your expectation.
There are few ryokans of traditional building in Kyoto.
The rooms of Watazen are Japanese style " Tatami " room although the building
is not authentic Japanese architecture.
Dinner and breakfast are all provided with Japanese style dishes.

Thank you for your comment.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here with our two teenagers in August in a family room. We had stayed in Western hotels for the rest of our visit in Japan and decided to spend our last two nights in a ryokan. We were very glad we did - it was a great experience. There was quite a bit of pointing and laughing involved at times with the room staff on how to cook and eat the food but we managed fine - the staff were very nice and helpful, and the food was great. I wasn't sure how the kids would do with all Japanese food but they enjoyed it. My daughter wasn't too keen on the public bath idea but we managed to find a time when nobody else was there. The hot spring was lovely (although very hot the first night). Location is perfect - very close to the Nishiki market, Gion bridge, and Daimaru department store which has a tea shop that sells amazing European-style cakes. Was a bit hard to find in the taxi though. I noticed a laundry room in the basement which is useful when traveling with a family. I guess if I had to say anything negative I would say that the public areas were a little more ordinary and dated than I expected, but that is a very minor point. We had a great time and thought it was good value for a ryokan experience. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wheretogonext44
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your stay at Watazen.
I am so happy that you and your family were able to enjoy staying in Japan.
Watazen is in the central part of Kyoto and is a place convenient for sightseeing of Kyoto.
Japanese "Nabe cuisine" (Hot pot) ,for example "Sukiyaki" or "Shabu-shabu" is cooked on the
table of your room. I think it makes you more enjoyable.

We hope we can serve you again next time when you travel Kyoto.
Thanks again.
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed there at 2013.9.9, we were five people, and ordered the room with bath room.
But the public service-big bath room was good, so we didn't use our bath room~ HA HA!
And the staff were all nice.
We have a nice stay at Watazen. We will stay there next time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your stay at Watazen.
Did you enjoy staying in Japan?
We are so glad to hear that you like Japanese style bath.
Japanese bath can relax your body and heart.

We are looking forward to seeing you again in near future.
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at the Watazen last November with a friend from Osaka. We found this to be a great Japanese style hotel centrally located in Kyoto. You can walk to Gion, Pontocho, many shrines and temples, and it's very close to a huge shopping district. The traditional Kyoto-style dinner served in your room is amazing -- beautiful to look at and so tasty! The breakfast served in the ryokan's dining room is excellent also. There is are separate men's and women's baths (large soaking tubs), as well as private baths in the hotel rooms. The service was also amazing. The entire staff was friendly, helpful, and willing to take the time to help with any needs. (Oh, most staff speaks English also.) I would highly recommend this ryokan as a way to experience a taste of old Kyoto.

Room Tip: I prefer the Japanese style rooms -- sleeping on futon on tatami mats.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveling_Man_48_11
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Thank you for your comment on tripAdvisor.
We are so glad to hear you that you stay in Kyoto was enjoyable.
Our hotel is not so big,but we think it is good for our guests also our staff.
We are so happy to talk with our guests.
There are many good places for sigt seeing in Kyoto. And you would be able to
feel Japanese traditional atmosphere.
When you travel Kyoto again in near future, we are looking forward to seeing you
in Watazen.
Thank you again.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Watazen for 6 nights and will check out soon.

First of all, the location is perfect! You could reach the hotel by metro, bus from Kyoto JR station, or eventually by taxi with abt JPY 1200.

The staff here all of them are truly friendly, you could feel it deeply. No matter house keeping or breakfast or reception, all of them smile to you and greeting always.

The room is spacious, you have enough room for all your luggages, and the Yukata they provide everyday is clean, well ironed, good!

The public bath on B1 is not so big but really a heaven, to relief your fatigue after one day touring.

Breakfast is a star, they prepare it carefully, I had 5 breakfast and all varies.

Thanks a lot Watazen, I'm proud I selected u as my ryokan staying in Kyoto, and will definitely recommend u to all my friends coming here.

• Stayed August 2013
watazen, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Watazen, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for your long staying at our Ryokan!!
We are happy to know that you had comfortable days.
We are looking forward to you coming to us again.
And we will be happy if we can meet your friends.

Please take good care of yourself.