“Close to Kyoto station; slightly dated but clean. Friendly staff”

Ranked #29 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Sydney, Australia
“Close to Kyoto station; slightly dated but clean. Friendly staff”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I picked this hotel as it was close to Kyoto station and convenient to catch the bus and subway for sight seeing. Staff were friendly but most had limited English. We were lucky to meet a lady staff member at the concierge desk who speak fluent English on our first day. She helped us with advise on public transport and restaurants. Hotel is dated but clean. Our room had an electric jug. Food wise we went to the Food hall in Isetan at Kyoto station to buy cooked or prepared sushi/sashimi as well as desserts.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank homesyd
京都センチュリーホテルBL, マネージャー at Kyoto Century Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear homesyd;

Thank you for your nice review!
We're glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is great to know that you found our bell desk staff is fluent in English, friendly and helpful. I will definitely pass your good words on to her.
At the moment, not all of our team are very good at speaking English, but we are trying as hard as possible to give our foreign customers a better service.
Also we're proud that we have Chinese, Thai, Spanish, and German speakers in the front office in order to welcome people from all over the world.

We look forward to seeing you on your next stay.

Kyoto Century Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The location is central right next to the train station almost close where you get off from Shinkansen . Step away from all the buses you need to get to most places to see in Kyoto . for the value of what you pay for your money is excellent. Beautiful hotel. The photo on the internet doesn't do justice. Clean ,great breakfast,amazing staffs, especially the lady at the concierge was very friendly and helpful, inside the train station there's a tourist information. Which is very helpful and friendly staffs. I will certainly return to this hotel without any hesitation. I like their pillow so much that I order it. Ms. Konoko Yamauchi arranged to the company to have it deliver to our next destination. She promised to have the pillow deliver . And ,arrived exact date she promised. Highly recommend the place to anyone. I work in a hotel and The General manager need to commend their staffs, for their amazing hospitality. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel F
京都センチュリーホテルBL, 宿泊課 at Kyoto Century Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your comment on trip adviser.
I was relieved to hear that pillow reached you safely. I hope that the pillow does you comfortably for a long time. We are glad to be able to help with the making of memory of your trip. In addition, please use a hotel by all means in Kyoto century when you come to Kyoto.
FRONT RECEPTION YAMAUCHI
UK
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here last month during a holiday to Japan. We booked this hotel as it was a really good price and in a really good location. The rooms in the hotel are a bit outdated and worn looking but are clean. As other reviewers have said, the room had a rice cooker but no kettle, safe or iron which would be more practical. There is also a digital clock behind the bed which is very very bright - we put tape over this so it did not keep us awake at night! I would consider staying at this hotel again.

3 Thank bandaUk
京都センチュリーホテルBL, マネージャー at Kyoto Century Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear banda UK;

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your opinion upon us.

I'm afraid there might be some misunderstandings.
We don't have any rice cookers in our guest rooms. Instead we have an electronic kettle and two types of Japanese tea (complimentary) prepared in every room.
We can keep your valuables in the safety boxes in the receptions. Also our housekeeping staff will bring an iron as well as an ironing board to your room by order.

I'm very sorry about the issue of the digital clock. If you had let us know about it, we would have solved the problem. I'll take your feedback seriously and I promise you that I'll take action on it.

I hope that we would be one of your choices in Kyoto when you visit here again in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Right next to Kyoto station this hotel is great for getting around town and doing day trips to Nara & Osaka.

The rooms are comfortable and clean.

The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful.

Would recommend this as a great place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear NJ Daniel;

Our team and I are so delighted to read your post and to know that you had a great stay overall.

Enjoying our strategic location, most of our foreign customers travel not only in Kyoto but also to the other cities by JR lines and Shinkansen bullet train.
Recently Universal Studio Japan in Osaka became even more popular because of the inauguration of "the Wizarding World of Harry Potter".
Nara and Hiroshima are basic choices because of the world heritage sites such as Todaiji-temple, and Miyajima.
We are more than happy to help our guests with touristic information outside of Kyoto, too.

Thank you again for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

we are 3 persons stayed for 3 nights , due to my mum health conditional it is required wheelchair , the hotel staff is willing to give helping hand , like e.g let me check in early to let my mum to have a good rest after we have night flight. and every email I sent to them , they have fast replied and told me in detail to share the information. I feel warm touch in the hotel. lastly I will like to recommend this hotel to all of u who are read my review.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelgals_ys
京都センチュリーホテルBL, マネージャー at Kyoto Century Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear travelgals-ys;

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am so glad to know that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

We have some wheelchairs for our guests. The number is limited, so it's highly recommended
to inform us about the use of a wheelchair beforehand like you did.
How is your mother doing now? I hope she feels much better and keeps on traveling all over the world.

I will definitely share your good words with our team, and all of us will be very happy if we can welcome you and your mother here again very soon.

New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights. As we arrived before our check-in time, they kindly put our bags into the storage area so we could go out and explore. When we returned, we were greeted so warmly by all the staff and our bag was in our room. Our room was clean and tidy and we felt the decor was fine. There was sufficient room for us to move about, and as we were only sleeping there, I can't see why everyone has an issue with the size of hotel rooms!!! We did not use the restaurant for dinner as we had friends we were meeting elsewhere, but we had the buffet breakfast and it was a sumptious array of yummy food!!!! On our check-out they once again let us use the baggage storage until we caught the train later that day. It was so handy to have the Hotel so close to the Railway Station. Every bit of service we received from the staff was imppecable and their English was very good too!!! We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting this beautiful city.

1 Thank Robyn T
京都センチュリーホテルBL, マネージャー at Kyoto Century Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Robyn T;

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your experience here.

It is always so delightful to receice a positive comment like yours. It cheers up our team a lot!
It is an acknowledgement of our service and effort that we make every day in order to make every stay memorable. I am also glad to know that you enjoyed your room and breakfast.

Free luggage storage service before check-in and after check-out is one of our basic services.
Most of our guests use it and enjoy the full use of our convinient location.

I believe that after two days you still have a lot more to explore in Kyoto. All of us look forward to welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location, right next to the station and bus depot. The bus is by far the easiest way to get around Kyoto so this is a real plus. We did hear the trains a little from the room, but this didn't detract from a good night's sleep.

Staff were very friendly, and while the rooms was very dated in it's décor, it had all the things you need to make a stay comfortable.

Room Tip: I'd try pick a room not overlooking the railway to ensure that the trains don't disturb you
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
京都センチュリーホテルBL, マネージャー at Kyoto Century Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear vaderag;

We really appreciate that you stayed with us and you took time for writing this review.

Just as you indicated, the rooms on the standard floors are a little dated, but we make our best effort to maintain the cleanness and tidiness every day.
The 7th and 8th floors are redecorated as the "Comfort floor", and you might get totally different impression if you stay there.

We are looking forward to seeing you on your next stay.