“Great weekend visit”

The Westin Miyako Kyoto
Ranked #52 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel class and customer service are beyond traditional Westin chains. Location is perfect for nearby day time adventures (hiking, shopping, the Philosophers Walk...) and evening dinners and entertainment. Only 30/40 minutes away is the Bamboo Gardens! Overall the hotel makes for a high-end and classy experience. One must not forget to check out the hotel's tea parlor and Moonlight Bar!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Westin_Miyako, Front Office Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for staying with us while you were in beautiful city, Kyoto on weekend. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and like our Moonlight bar and Mayfair. You could enjoy your favorite cocktail or drink over looking romantic view of Kyoto city, relax and enjoy the music from international entertainers. At Mayfair you could enjoy traditional high tea, coffee, or the drink of our choice in the comfort of this tea room. Delicious homemade cakes and chocolates are available to enjoy here or take away for later.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel is rather old but it is offering a very good service with a pretty nice rooms. The location is a bit off the main attraction area but the drop off shuttle is very helpful. The inner garden is worth seeing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kusmae

Thank you for staying with us while you were an ancient city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that our service made you feel comfortable. Our hotel is a little bit out of town, 20 minutes walk between hotel and city, but our complimentary shuttle bus runs every half an hour which takes you to city and also there are many historical sites around hotel so that the view from our hotel is extraordinary. We hope you enjoyed staying in greenery area. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Just checked-in to the Westin Miyako Kyoto today. The hotel upgraded me to a deluxe room - which is great. I'm appreciative of that.

After traveling abroad for about a week now, what I could really use is a good workout. So I put my workout clothes on and headed to the gym - and I was very disappointed. First off, they charge to use the gym. Even for SPG Platinum guests. And it's not even a nice gym - it's pretty crappy, actually. There were two treadmills - and one was broken.

To be honest, it's just plain bizarre, especially for what seems like a nice hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank thetwoonethree

Thank you for staying with us while you were in beautiful city, Kyoto and also thank you for your loyalty towards Starwood Hotels. Regarding Westin Work Out, we apologize that our gym is not what you expected and one of treadmills was not repaired during your stay. We will consider upgrading our exercise machines in gym. If our guests are Starwood platinum members or executive club guests, the fee for Westin Work Out is free of charge. Its fee is not on your bill upon check out. Thank you very much for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I deliberately choose this hotel because it was away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Kyoto and I wasn't disappointed. The luggage transfer service from the station was great, as was the free shuttle service to/from the station. I appreciate that for safety reasons guests cannot be picked up at the 2 stops along the way, but was still unhappy with this. Perhaps guests could be given an identification card to show when boarding at the others stops??
This was my first stay as a Starwood Preferred Guest and was delighted to receive an upgrade. My room on the 7th floor was spacious enough and well equipped. The bed was huge ,real treat as I was traveling by myself and very comfortable . The amenities of the hotel were good and I enjoyed walking the bird watching trail. The concierges that I encountered were also most helpful and knowledgable . However, I was surprised to find quite a poor level of English from the staff in both the Moonlight Bar and breakfast room. Compared to my hotel in Tokyo, the food and drinks were expensive and the quality was not as I expected. So ,I had meals in the station area after a day of sightseeing and on the street near the hotel.
The location of the hotel meant good views from many areas in the hotel, back across Kyoto. It was also convenient to many temples and shrines and the Philosopher's Walk.
I would recommend this hotel for it's amenities, location and prompt responses on the Express line.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BridebSydney
Westin_Miyako, Front Office Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Thank you for staying with us while you were in a beautiful city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us. Regarding our shuttle bus service, we apologize for that inconvenience. The reason guests could not get on our bus in the city is that there is no our bus stops in the city. We stop at different point due to traffic situation, so guests might not get on bus at the place where they get off or get on safely. We appreciate if you could understand this situation. We will make our efforts to make the comfortable stay for guests at entire hotel.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The stay was generall comfortable, the rooms & view from the rooms was gud..The hotel however is located off the main market (shopping street) & railway station due to which yyou will have to take a cab every time to & fro from the hotel...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us while you were in an ancient city, Kyoto and also thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay. As you mentioned, the view from our hotel is extraordinary. All our guests access to the terrace on 9th floor to look over the beautiful city of Kyoto. We recommend it if your room is not city view.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

What a setting for a hotel with the mountains as a backdrop and greenery all around. The Westin Miyako Kyoto hotel abounds with green and more green as also water and more water. The location is perfect for a walker like me. My walks took me through a rock garden and perfectly maintained trees. Wherever you go inside the property you hear the tinkling of water. Outside the hotel my walk took me through many shrines that dot the area including the Nanzenji temple. Everything about the hotel is Japanese and you love it. A trekker is one step ahead of a walker and my graduation to trekking was very rewarding. I suggest you follow the hotel trail to get a magnificent view of the city at the top of the trail. I ventured out and did a simple trek to Gion district.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatMedo

Thank you very much for staying with us while you were in a beautiful city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Our hotel is located in Higashiyama area where is surrounded by greenery. There are also a couple of beautiful gardens in our property. It is a little bit out of city but 20 minutes’ walk distance and also our complimentary shuttle bus runs to get to city. We would like guests to be relaxed with this lot of nature. Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

A lovely hotel with nice rooms, a great garden, helpful staff and a nice christmas tree. Bit of a walk to town ,but that walk is beautiful and allows the purchase of delicious convenience store snacks along the way. Really good

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick_the_Wise
Westin_Miyako, Front Office Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for staying with us while you were in an ancient city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us. Yes, we have a big Christmas tree decorated in a main lobby at the moment and a small locomotive is running around tree. There are a couple of convenience stores between Sanjo area and hotel and also we have a small convenience store opened from 7:30AM to 10:30PM to purchase drinks, snacks and travel utensils etc. Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.