“New experience in Kyoto”

The Westin Miyako Kyoto
Ranked #53 of 395 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This my 2nd hotel in Kyoto, quite different from previous one (down town hotel), Westin just locate nearby mountain. You could see 360 degree view of Kyoto city when you go top floor. And there's a small lane behind the hotel building, the lane is to hotel back yard and Japanese type rooms. If your budget is enough, it's a new experience to stay here (Japanese room). I strongly recommend it. Besides, the Japanese breakfast also impressed me a lot, my wife and I liked it.

Room Tip: Enjoy the Japanese room, It locate behind the hotel building, at the bottom of mountain.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Westin_Miyako, Front Office Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us while you were in a beautiful city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We have Japanese style room, Kasuien, that is an outstanding example of traditional noble Japanese house, has 20 Japanese rooms. Its gardens and guest rooms give a true sense of refined harmony within nature. And also there are many historical sites for exploration around hotel so that it is very enjoyable and relaxing to take a walk in a greenery area outside of hotel. We continue to make space where guests could enjoy a relaxed and satisfying experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for our first time in Kyoto and the Hotel is well located. A nearby metro station (Keage) and the hotel's shuttle bus provide easy access to the main parts of the city. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was ok, but expensive. The room (a Superior Double Room) was comfortable , clean with internal garden view

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. We trust you brought back home great memories to remember.We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.There are Superior City View room and Deluxe City view room type at our hotel. The view from the room is extraordinary but also all our guest are able to access to the terrace on the 9th floor to see the beautiful landscape.We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay, shame it was only 1 night, plenty of space in the twin room,everything product and goods wise you would want in bathroom.
Good internet free connection.....Used the Boston restaurant in evening menu excellent, also busy, which is always a good sign in my book, service excellent, Skyline bar for a night cap I would recommend... singer/pianist ... lively without being noisy.
Taxis ready and waiting outside hotel, have to admit we didn't try to use the shuttle bus, so cant comment on that service.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us while you were in a beautiful city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for a lot of good comments. We continue to make space where guests could enjoy a relaxed and satisfying experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

A couple of things:
1. Had to pay additional ¥500 to use gym/swimming pool each visit.
2. Location was okay to visit temples but far from Kyoto station. Need to take complimentary hotel bus which we were lucky enough to board without fuss the entire time.
3. Overall, the room was average and dated. Bathroom was just renovated which was great.
4. Service was great throughout our stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us while you were in an ancient city, Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We value your feedback and appreciate and appreciate the thought you have put in.We regret that our service did not meet your expectation in the fitness and room. We will improve our service and make an effort to welcome guests more.We hope we could welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel on SPG points and with the Gold membership room upgrade, so my perspective could be a bit biased. However, the quality of our stay was all in all quite high. The room was nicely furnished, with a fast free Internet connection and a nice bathroom. The room's balcony had a nice view on Kyoto, despite the horrible weather we found.

I tried the Aquablu restaurant once and the food was OK, not stellar, but absolutely decent.

The only letdown was the concierge. We needed to book a restaurant, and since almost nobody speaks English in local businesses we asked the concierge to do the booking for us. After we found out that the one we wanted was full, we asked for advice on other typical local restaurants. The answer was at best rude, with the concierge stating that she had no idea and that we should eat in one of the hotel's restaurants. I decided not to report this behavior and unprofessional conduct immediately, but I would expect such a staff member to get fired, as it is practically the concierge's ONLY job to know about these sort of things. Moreover, promoting the hotel's internal restaurants while we clearly stated that we wanted to have dinner in town is almost insulting.

Overall, I would recommend the Westin Miyako to other travellers, with the caveat that some of the staff does not behave in a professional way.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edoardo V
Westin_Miyako, Front Office Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to write on your recent stay with us on tripadvisor and also thank you for your loyalty towards Starwood hotels.
We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.
We sincerely apologize for the attitude of concierge when you asked information for restaurant. I told them your feedback. We will improve our service and make an effort to welcome guests more.We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel prepare free shuttle buses (staff told me there are 20 seats for guests and 5 seats for their luggage) between hotel and JR Kyoto station every 30 minutes. It sounds good because taxi will charge you about JPY3000 at this distance.
However, this time I was not able to catch the bus total of four times at the first day of my stay because of excess guests. Many guests were waiting since 30 minutes ago missing the last bus. After that I never tried to catch the bus during my four nights stay but every time I go out, I asked the shuttle bus staff if I can get, but he always told me I should wait more than 30 minutes.
Yes, if we want to get on the bus, we have to wait the next bus and making a long queue. There were not enough benches at the waiting area, guests have to stand up. It is right next to the main entrance. This is why we see the entrance is always crowded.
Staff told me that If I want to catch the bus, I should come very earlier and compete to other guests to get the seat (both bus seat and waiting bench).
I have never heard of this kind of tale from any up-market hotels asking guests should make long queue? Should I compete to other guests? Why not hotel feel shame this matter?
The problem is that hotel never do any improvements such as preparing extra buses or bigger buses or make more frequencies. The staff already know so many guests in this busy season are unloaded and complaining to the staff waiting for the next 30 more minutes later bus.
I talked about this matter to a manager by room phone but it was in vain. He told me just sorry and sorry as he told to other guests the same things many times I guess.
I feel this condition was not world wide SPG Westin hotel grade. Even cheaper hotels can manage and improve such inconvenience more quickly.
So we should not make schedule depending on the shuttle bus (if you have reserved ticket of Shinkansen from JR Kyoto station, you will miss the train) but should prepare money more than JPY3000 for taxi riding.
Because I want to like this hotel and want to stay again, I wrote this long letter and hope you improve your circumstances as soon as possible.
シャトルバスは機能していませんね。自分自身滞在中の初日に4回もシャトルバスに乗れず、予定があるため遅らせることもできず、それから滞在中シャトルバスを使うことはあきらめました。驚くべきことは「スタッフはここのところ毎日このような感じで、多くのお客が乗れず、前のバスから次のバス(30分後)に乗るのがあたりまえ」ということを説明したからです。なぜ対処しないのか?マネジャーは週末には増便すると言ってましたが、出立の日は週末でしたが結局増便されておらず黒山の人だかりでやはり乗れませんでした。そもそも多客期は平日も混雑するし、部屋の予約状況からも予想できるはずです。一流ホテルとは言いがたいし、SPGを冠したホテルとしては信じられない光景と対応でした。日本人として日本のウェスティン品質がこんなもんかと、外国人のお客に対して恥ずかしく感じるほどでした。真剣に客の利便を考えるのなら、多客期には増便するか、大きなバスを使うか、フリークエンシーを上げるかの対処をして欲しいものです。また滞在すると思うので、切なる希望をここに書きました。

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Sukjai R
Westin_Miyako, Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2015

Thank you for staying wth us.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Love this hotel while in Kyoto. Really good price and super comfortable. Not in the center but an easy walk to many of the wonderful sights of Kyoto. Breakfast is very good and internet works perfectly. Appreciate the mirror that doesn't steam up when you shower. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JazzmineBerger
Westin_Miyako, Front Office Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Kyoto. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for a lot of good comments. We continue to make space where guests could enjoy a relaxed and satisfying experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.