“Great atmosphere, great service, great location”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #10 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Chicago Illinois
“Great atmosphere, great service, great location”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My wife and I have toured Kyoto about 10 times, most interesting city in the world. We have stayed at several Kyoto hotels but find this the best. I'm writing because some seem cool to the location of the Hyatt and like the Granvia's station location. Hyatt is within a short walk of Chishakuin (great paintings), Yogenin (more great paintings), Kyoto National Museum (old and stuffy, under construction, but fine exhibitions) and Sanjusangendo (great National Treasure sculpture), all places to top off a day of touring. the Hyatt entryway is beautiful particularly at night. I think this a superbly managed hotel with a welcoming atmosphere and great lobby design.

Room Tip: Lowest floor (one below the lobby) has great views of the garden, very peaceful.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kyotocat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei
Reviewed 16 March 2013

The Hyatt chain for most part has always exceeded my expectations. If I have to pay a lot for a room, I am going into the hotel with a fine tooth comb and expecting the best in all categories. Alright, back to the hotel. Hyatt Kyoto is one of the newer hotels in Kyoto but architecturally, it was built to coexist with the old buildings around ancient Kyoto. So outside appearance, it looked quite dated However inside the room, it was modern and clean and well-designed. The good. Im a stickler in cleanliness but Hyatt+Japan hospitality=super clean. Bed was just right. The water system in the shower was very good. Hot and strong. Okay, the negatives. The room, however, was very very small. The windows in the room was very small, almost like prison windows. I can't comment on the restaurants since we did not use it. In summary, if I ever go back to Kyoto, I would definitely stay there. The price was expensive but compare to a Ryokan experience, a hotel is still more affordable.

Room Tip: There's really no view but I would say facing the inward Garden is slightly better
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Tokyo
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed there 2 nights with my husband and our 2 daughters (2 years old and 7 months). From the station it can be a bit difficult to find the (free) taxi, but no problem if you have been to Kyoto a few times.
Before our arrival the manager called us to confirm the baby bed we had requested was ready. It's the 1st time ever a manager does that, which we were pleased of.

Upon arrival ( beautiful hall), we were told we had to wait 10 mn- which I wasn't very impressed with because of the kids being tired- but the minutes went by pretty fast and the atmosphere made us relaxed almost instantaneously.

Bedroom: small with a baby bed but we moved it next to our bed and felt better. The design of the room is exquisite, and we liked the bathroom. Everything really modern,And they had put a diaper bin in the toilets- a must for parents with 2 kiddies still on diapers!

Breakfast was good, nothing fancy but enough choice for a well-balanced start before visiting.

Staff was very polite and helpful.
We had dinner in the trattoria and food was divine- plus they didn't mind our girls ( but we made an early booking,at 17:30)
Next day we bought 2 really nice cake from their pâtisserie-scrumptious...

This hotel was a nice week-end get-away: everything went smooth, but even though they didn't mind our children, it is definitely more geared towards couples and business. But if you don't mind a challenge-go with your kids!

• Stayed March 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 9 March 2013

It kind of far from kyoto eki(station). However, the bus around kyoto is very convenient (better than local subway). They have great rooms with great services. Those services are better than Hyatt in USA. They will even lead you to the room, introduce me the room, and have lots of good benefits. If you are on the honeymood, they would treat you a nice red wine like what I got treated this time =) Like this hotel, but this hotel is no cheap comparing to other hotels =)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ypwalter
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 March 2013

The room was clean, roomy and comfortable. Everything was very modern and it becomes plain and lack of Japanese characters. The good thing is there is a bus station just in front of the hotel and can take you to any attractions in the city by bus. The hotel is very pricey for those who spend most of the day outside but also not much things to do inside hotel or the surrounding area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank wiwiwi2016
Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

Wow! What an experience! The rooms were fantastic, clean, roomy, new and sunny. The staff were so helpful and the concierge new it all. At one point she went to the station to book tickets for us- something we definitely would not expect her to do!

The food and beverages were great- breakfast was brilliant and the Italian restaurant was so warm and inviting. The staff were attentive and the food spectacular!

The bar was something out of New York- there was a great selection of wine and cocktails.

Everything that we requested was a como dated and nothing was too much!

It is worth every penny- the subway is close an kyoto stationary 10 minute was or 700 yen taxi. There is a great temple next door well worth a visit!

• Stayed February 2013
Kanazawa, Japan
Reviewed 25 February 2013

i spent a night here last month and was very impressed by every aspect of this hotel. The room was roomy and perfectly appointed. I did have trouble connecting to the wifi, but they sent someone up immediately with an individual router and problem solved. As my room faced the ain road and it was a Saturday night, there were some traffic sounds, but by midnight, it was quiet enough not to interfere with my sleep. The complimentary breakfast (part of the room) was extensive and varied, and kept me full and energized for hours. I think what most impressed me, however, was that the hotel's manager made time to come to my table and greet me personally, ask after my stay, etc. Can't remember the last time that happened outside of a tiny B&B in the Scottish Highlands! I was able to walk many places from the hotel, and the front desk was very helpful with directions, suggestions, and so on. Overall, it was a flawless stay and I look forward to returning later this year.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room toward the back to further eliminate street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business