Priceline
Vio.com
Trip.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 March 2017

While the staff was friendly and ryokan beautiful and clean, I felt it was not a "traditional Japanese ryokan experience" Years ago I stayed in a ryokan with my family and it was very different. Matsui Bekkon was geared more to what the tourist would like. Dinner was very pretty and offered several dishes to taste. However, breakfast was not served in our room and while the meal was nicely presented, there was only one dish that was tasty.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Wanderlust1926
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

The hotel is very clean, nice rooms , great hot spring baths and a superb Japanese breakfast ....

They do not speak much English although enough for you to get by...

Very central to s lot of sites to visit

I highly recommend!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2017

This is a review for my trip to Kyoto last year. I only stay here for one night but I will recommend this ryokan. The staffs are very nice and they help us a lot when we stay here. If you are a Chinese, you can even meet some staff who can speak Chinese so it is very helpful. The food tastes not bad and the room is large enough. The staffs even give us a pair of chopsticks and some Wagashi that is Kyoto's special. I even saw the ornamental dolls, which is I always wanted to see. Furthermore, the thing that surprised really us is we stay in the room which emperor of Japan used to stay. I highly recommend this place.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

We felt really comfortable in this hotel, located in the center, everything is near, the room was very nice, the staff is very kind and helpful, there is a great onsen also... recommended!
For short or long stays

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night for a quick Kyoto trip. Wanted a traditional ryokan stay, wasn't prepared to spend the typical large amount of cash that most cost. The experience was a positive one overall, however a ryokan by its definition is basic, with a mattress on a tatami mat floor. So why splurge on the fancy ryokans one might ask?

PROS:
- Central location. Close to market.
- Onsen downstairs. You must go here if staying here.
- Friendly staff. Always greeted us with a smile, and waved goodbye to us when departing.

CONS:
- Staff were not too helpful trying to book a restaurant for us for dinner. They referred us to the Kyoto tourist board, who charge a fee for restaurant bookings.
- Bathroom was very basic & dated.

Recommend eating the breakfast in house. Dinner can be done in house or out at a restaurant.

Date of stay: February 2017