“Best tea ceremony!”

Camellia Tea Ceremony FLOWER
Ranked #8 of 100 Classes & Workshops in Kyoto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Welcome to Kyoto! How about authentic tea ceremony in a beautiful traditional house just five minutes from Kiyomizu Temple? Japanese tea ceremony has more than 400 years of history, the most elevated way to fully enjoy a bowl of tea. Spiritually and physically, we would like you to feel the air as well. You will watch a tea ceremony performance and then you will get a chance to make tea. Please come by and have a bowl of tea with us!The session starts on the hour every hour, from 10:00 to 17:00. One session is 45 minutes and 2000 yens per person includes a bowl of tea and a sweet. Cash and credit card accepted.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My group and I loved this place! The tea ceremony itself was great and the people couldn't have been nicer! They went above and beyond when helping us find our next destination. They wrote out directions for us in English and Japanese then called the place for us to make sure we didn't need a reservation. We really couldn't have asked for a better experience. All for a great price too! Definitely a place to check when you're in Kyoto

3  Thank LexiFrias

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This tea ceremony is a great opportunity to experience the Japanese culture with the privilege of a commentary in fluent English (a rarity when travelling in Japan). In a traditional building and setting you watch the performance of a tea ceremony, learn about it's history and meaning and get to taste the prepared tea (it really doesn't taste too bad!!!). Afterwards you can try to mix and whisk your own green tea.
I think this tea ceremony is a great addition to any sightseeing day in Kyoto as it is a truly Japanese tradition combined with tourist friendly explanations (any other questions are welcome too). For solo travellers it can be really hard to find locals with sufficient English to give you an insight into the life in Japan. Here you can fill the gap.

2  Thank Jungleangie
Reviewed 25 May 2014

What a great experience! A wonderfully performed tea ceremony, with explanations in absolutely fluent English. You can ask questions, practice frothing your own matcha tea, and have a marvellous time. Forget all the other tea houses and touristy "tea ceremonies" - go to Camellia!

3  Thank Markus H
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Amazing experience! The lady explains everything about tea ceremony. It was a pleasure to take part in that! Incredible atmosphere!

1  Thank Katarzyna M
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I visited Camellia Tea ceremony in March 2014 late in the afternoon on a rainy day. It was a wonderful and relaxing way to complete my day. Time stood still as the beautiful tea master transported me back to traditional Japan. Atsuko explained the tea ceremony steps in English at the beginning and then silently demonstrated the way of the tea so elegantly.The taste was not as bitter as other powdered teas that I've experienced before and I really enjoyed it. Afterwards, I had fun making my own tea!.As it is was on the way from Yasaka Shrine to Kiyomizudera temple and near the Ninenzaka steps, it was in an ideal location for taking a break from sightseeing, shopping and the rain!

3  Thank LilyK14