“Stay was great”

Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka
Ranked #27 of 322 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Overall, had a pleasant stay at this hotel. Staff were very helpful during our stay. Definitely recommend this hotel to friends travelling to Osaka.
Location is just near to bus station, train lines and subway.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gee B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka

Reviewed 4 May 2014

good location, rooms are nice, service and standards are excellent. connects to major subway and city air terminal. you can potentially connect underground all the way to doutonbori shopping area. there's a lifestyle store and supermarket on the lower floors.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank duhness
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Great location with JR station, super market and Namba Walk nearby.
Beautiful lobby, nice room.
But the service of front desk is not impressed. Seems we have misunderstanding of each other when I checked-in. It's not comfortable with the looks on his face that moment.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was my third time staying at this hotel due to its convenient location. The staff are helpful and knowlegeable. However, due to the poor condition of the room I was very disappointed this time. The initial room had a bad smell in the bathroom. They responded quickly and gave me another room which was at the very end of the corridor. This room smelled as if someone had smoked in it and it has not been used for some time. It was very dusty, the light of the refrigerator was not working and I found a hair in the bedsheet! This was really below the normal standard of this hotel. I did write a note of all these issues and gave it to the Front Office. The management team should review these issues seriously.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 12cohort
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Having planned my Japan trip months ahead, the hardest task was actually choosing where my family and I would be billeted. Prices were slightly higher during our travel period (2nd week of April) and rooms were quickly being booked due to the Cherry Blossom season, but the location and Tripadvisor reviews helped me decide to stay at this Hotel.

The hotel location was really convenient; it's just steps away from the OCAT Bus Terminal which directly links you to the airport. It is also just a short walk away to the hustle and bustle of Dotombori and Namba Shopping Streets.

Check-in was fast, the hotel staff was friendly and kind enough to answer our queries. One tip though: in case you had a rental wifi router delivered to your hotel, please inform them ahead of time just to avoid the misplacement of the package (I made the mistake of not informing them about the rental router a few days before my arrival, hence they somewhat misplaced the package that was delivered a day before my scheduled arrival. They were only able to track it when the company I rented the wifi router from called them regarding my order). The hotel staff apologized regarding this; I got my package a day after I checked-in.

It is important to note that after check-in, you would personally bring your luggages to your room. The triple room was big enough to fit my parents and me along with our luggages. The bathroom was clean and the toilet was amusing, super hi-tech.

One thing to note about the hotel is that there's a huge grocery located below (going towards the Namba subway station). Their ready-to-eat meals prices are usually discounted in the evening.

I highly recommend this hotel for their price, location, and friendly staff. You won't regret it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank keanca
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were a family of six adults and two teens on our first vacation to Osaka; and we booked 4 rooms. Much has already been said about the size of Japanese hotel rooms, and I must say, their standard double rooms were smaller than similar 4-star hotels elsewhere in the world.

The location was something our group was always appreciating. The hotel is located in the Namba area of the city where Dotobori, Shinsaibashi, and Den Den Town are found. The three areas of Namba form tourist central in Osaka; and you could walk to Dotonbori in 10 minutes. There's a supermarket in the basement of the hotel; and train, bus, and subway stations are located in the building next to the hotel called the OCAT. There's a post office bank on the ground floor of the OCAT building, where you could easily exchange currencies. Restaurants, and convenience stores are within walking distances from the hotel.

The staff was polite, courteous, and fast in service; but they don't exude the usual warmth we've experienced elsewhere. It might be due to Japanese cultural formalities. Also, their command of english isn't at par with other hotels that cater to international guests. (It's ironic because the hotel has the theme of an english manor.) We did appreciate the speed of check-in and check-out; especially since we arrived tired and sleepy at around 2300 hours.

We also appreciated the free, and very fast wi-fi internet connection throughout the hotel. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast; it would never compare with Vegas for sheer number of offerings, but it was delicious.

For a 4-star hotel, I was disappointed that there was only one english channel on their cable tv (BBC). Also, there was no newspaper in english.

Was the hotel good value for money? Unfortunately, I would have to answer that on another future stay. We were in Osaka in the middle of important holidays in Japan. It made hotel rooms hard to book, and consequently more expensive. I understand that if we had waited two more months before taking our trip, our rooms would have been cheaper up to half the price we paid.

Overall, I still say we had a good first visit to Osaka, and this hotel's location made it very convenient.

Room Tip: If your looking for a room with a bit more area, choose at least one of their standard twin rooms. T...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka is really a good hotel with high quality facilities, nice city view and comfortable room environment. In addition, location of hotel is easy to be accessed. Moreover, there is a very big supermarket nearby. However, the guest service provided by the front desk is relatively poor. Many of them are rude without smile, not very helpful. Sometimes they would provide a very bad and terrible faces to my children. I hope the HR dept could provide more guest service training to them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family