“Disappointed with Service”

The St. Regis Osaka
Ranked #3 of 354 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Having stayed at the St Regis Bangkok and having had a memorable stay there, I became a St Regis Fan and decided to veer away from my usual Park Hyatt / Grand Hyatt go to hotels in Japan and booked at the St Regis Osaka.

I left disappointed.

Arrival and check on was flawless. The concierge team was excellent and a major asset to this hotel.

But the lobby was quite tiny for a 5 star hotel. Crowded specially during peak hours . They do try to make it as comfortable as possible but, one would simply think for a St Regis Hotel, they would create a grander space and reception lobby.

The room had a magnificent view of the city. Floor to ceiling windows were great. Rooms very spacious and bathrooms were typical St Regis bathrooms- big and spacious.
The multi-jet shower was simply amazing after a long day exploring the city. Luxurious toiletries and plush robes.

Welcome tea service fantastic.

However, housekeeping service was a big disappointment. Day 1, we left at 11 am and by 4pm, our room was still not cleaned. Day 2, same thing happened despite us already mentioning what happened day 1. The thing is, the manager didn’t seem much concerned and just nodded at me and said, ok and made a comment that the housekeeping were overwhelmed with the volume. One would think, a 5 star hotel would have a well trained crew given what they charge the guests. When I got back to the room later in the day, they did not even change the linens. Day 3, pretty much the same story all over again. And this is the only 5 star hotel I have been to that does not do any turn down service.

Location is on the far end of Shinsaibashi and quite a walk to the main hub of Shinsaibashi area.

Am on the fence as to whether this is a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stspostcards
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Stspostcards,

I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Tripadvisor following your last stay at The St. Regis Osaka.

Feedback such as yours enables us to continuously improve our operation and guest service. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment and rest assured that I will address our housekeeping service deficiency.

Again thank you for your valuable feedback which is much appreciated.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The St. Regis Osaka the next time you visit the Kansai region.

Alain Rigodin - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,605)

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at the wonderful st Regis Osaka with our preschool age son. The staff was wonderful anticipating our needs. The room was beautiful and well appointed- everything you'd expect from a St Regis. We enjoyed the extra details like a six head shower, deep soaking tub, kids robes and slippers in the room, an espresso maker and a western tea set and Japanese tea set, slippers and Japanese robes. We loved the reasonably priced and delicious buffet in the morning. The location was great- easy access to many things via foot and subway station less than a block away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Mrs. Brown 95,

Thank you so much for the nice written description you posted on Tripadvisor following your last visit here at the St. Regis Osaka. It is much appreciated.

We are delighted to hear that your good self and young son had a lovely stay and did enjoy very much your spacious room and amenities offered as well as the breakfast experience. Indeed the location of the hotel is very convenient and walking distance to the many shopping surrounding the hotel as well as the efficient subway.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guest and the team and I sincerely do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We recently stayed at the St. Regis in Osaka for 3 days during our week long trip to Japan. Similar to Tokyo, the is a lot of choice in hotels in such a large city but we chose St. Regis because of the positive reviews. I can confirm after just returning how fabulous the St. Regis is. The customer service is impeccable. The staff are so friendly, courteous with exceptional attention to detail. The rooms are luxurious and are reasonable size for Japan. This is one of the few hotels with two double beds (most have twin beds). It is across the street from the subway station. With only carry on luggage, we took the subway from the train station to the hotel after arriving from Tokyo - it is a direct line with only several stops and the hotel is right across the street (exit 3 seems closest). We usually stay Westins and W Hotels (we are gold members) so this is our first time at St. Regis. We enjoyed it immensely. Guests at this hotel will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lawyertravelgirl

Dear Lawyertravelgirl,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your kind comment on Tripadvisor following your first stay here at The St. Regis Osaka. Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience with others Tripadvisor readers.

This is truly appreciated and will inspire us to continue to excel in our St. Regis service delivery and in providing comfort whilst in our care.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind words and we do look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the St. Regis Osaka on your next visit to Osaka.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Superb location; Shinsaibashi shopping belt is just steps away and the subway is literally next to the hotel. What more can I asked for? We literally did not move around much except within the hotel and Dontonburi area during our week in Osaka. And if you do intend to venture out, a slow stroll (about 30-45mins) takes you to Osaka Castle, one of the most important landmark in Osaka.
The rooms are equally fabulous. We've got the city view deluxe room and its very spacious with lots of room to move around without knocking on any furniture or getting into each other's way.
One can expect typical St. Regis service and nothing less. Although we arrive much earlier than the check-in time but we will promised our room earlier and when we return after lunch, not only is our room ready but so is our luggage waiting for us in the room. We were impressed with such gestures although its probably their SOP for all guests.
We will definitely return to stay here if we ever visit Osaka again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Princess_lei,

Thank you very much for the nice post and written description you wrote on Tripadvisor following your last visit here at the St. Regis Osaka. It is much appreciated.

We are delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay and did enjoy very much your room with a great view of Osaka. Indeed the location of the hotel is very convenient and walking distance to the many shopping surrounding the hotel.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and the team and I sincerely do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Location: Can't beat the location. Hommachi subway station right downstairs. Shinsaibashi access right outside the hotel, where you can find a lot of restaurants and shops. Dotombori is about a 2km, 20 minute walk. 10 minute taxi ride from Namba station where the airport limo drops you off.

Service: Butler service was superb, true luxury hotel experience. This is one of those situations where I expected a high level of service and that expectation was met. Simple as that.

Room and hotel: As SPG gold we were able to secure an upgrade. The hotel offers great space in terms of value. I've stayed at Japanese hotels before where you basically slept right next to the toilet but the space was airy, and well arranged. All finishing were of high quality. I would forgo the room service altogether since it was extremely pricey (1300yen for a boiled egg), there are many restaurants in the immediate area.

Amenities: There's no pool, and the workout area is so-so (lack of appropriate free weights and only a few machines). Granted the gym was completely empty when I went. The bar was wonderful and had that subtle ambiance, the bartender was a true professional who you can tell often caters to a drinking crowd.

Final verdict for the hotel: I give it a 8/10. If I am back in Osaka again, I would definitely stay at the St. Regis Osaka.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Erin K

Dear Erin K,

Thank you so much for the beautiful post you wrote on Tripadvisor following your last stay here at the St. Regis Osaka. It is much appreciated.

We are indeed receiving excellent comments about how convenient your now preferred hotel in Osaka is located. The team and I are delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and that you were able to enjoy the many shopping surrounding the hotel.

Many thanks again for being a SPG Gold member and looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

$ perspective: St Regis was about AUD$310 a night compared to other really competent places in Osaka (eg. Frasers at Namba) which were around AUD$240. It's almost a 30% price premium but St Regis delivers so much more than 30% extra value imho.

The hotel looks amazing and the most basic room we booked was almost twice as large as any other hotel bedroom we booked in Osaka. Japanese hotels are generally smaller than European ones so that makes St Regis Osaka feel even more luxurious.

The there's the beautiful bathroom which is about the same size as the bedroom and it's all marble and enough space for a fussy girl and a fat boy not to get in each other's way.

I wish I'd splashed out here for the whole trip, it really would have been worth it but as it was, it was a fantastic treat.

Then there's the service. We left a teddy bear behind so called the butler team from the airport. They spoke perfect English and arranged to fedex the toy back to Sydney. When it arrived it was wrapped up so professionally with inner and outer layers and finished with a ribbon tied into a bow!

I was kept informed of the teddy bear's journey via a tracking number and then the butler service emailed me once the bear had landed to say that they hoped that it had arrived safely and hoped that both the bear, my wife and I would soon be returning to enjoy their hospitality.

Top of the class St Regis, well done.

Room Tip: I booked the cheapest room and it was more than enough.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear MuppetOnTour,

Thank you so much for the wonderful post and nice written description you wrote on Tripadvisor following your last visit here at the St. Regis Osaka. It is much appreciated.

We are pleased to learn that the teddy bear made a safe trip back home! I also like your $ perspective. We are indeed delighted to read that you had a memorable stay, did enjoy the spacious room, the service provided as well as the convenient location of the hotel.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I sometimes stayed at St.Regis OSAKA.

I stayed many gorgeous hotel all over the world , I guess St.Regis OSAKA is the best Hotel in OSAKA.

All staff were ready and eager to help and they were very gracious.
The property looks lovely, with a fantastic reception, great rooms, great layout, and a lot of smiles.They never let a guest want for anything, I felt I owned very personal, very private, very peaceful place.

Rooms are very comfortable and equipments are electrified,TV is large and wall outlets for Tablet and iPhone are enough.

Breakfast is also outstanding

Location is very convenient hotel is connected Midosuji Subway line directly and located at center of OSAKA.,.

I have no "cons".

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
alain_03198, General Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Cornea,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your kind comment on Tripadvisor following your last stay here at The St. Regis Osaka.

Thank you so much for your repeat visits, for your feedback and most lavish praise you bestowed upon the hotel.

Once again, I sincerely thank you for your kind words and sincerely do look forward to welcoming you, your family and friends back to the St. Regis Osaka on your next visit to Osaka.

Kind regards