“Excellent Hotel in a Great Location”

Hotel New Otani Osaka
Ranked #14 of 300 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
“Excellent Hotel in a Great Location”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A truly excellent hotel located in a quiet, more low key area of Osaka but right across the street from the JR Loop Line. We loved still being in the city but away from the chaos of downtown Osaka. We got the Kansai Pass so we were able to hop on the JR Loop and get in and around Osaka very easily. The rooms are very comfortable and really clean. The view of Osaka Castle was perfect. Right outside the hotel was a nice area to find some restaurants and even a Starbucks right there in the IMP. There was free wifi and it worked great. Terrific experience and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of Osaka Castle are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, Manager at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
I would like to thank you for staying with us and also for taking time to write this fine review. It was our pleasure to know that you enjoyed our location, room, view and service, including the wifi, during your stay.

Travelers reading this will be happy to know of your experience with the Kansai Pass as related to our location. Thank you for including that. We look forward to welcoming you to Hotel New Otani Osaka the next time you visit our city!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I spent a week at New Otani in March this year. My delux room was on the 13th floor, facing the Castle and park. The view was excellent, with plenty to see during the day and a stunning vista in the evening. Room itself was very well appointed and bed comfortable. Internet was inculded in the rate and was really quick connection. Air conditioning also very good, and there was an opening window as well, which countered that slightly artificial, stuffy sensation caused by the sealed rooms of many large hotels I have used. Housekeeping were very efficient and, as you would expect, the room was always serviced when I was out.
Breakfast was included in a voucher deal with the room anf this was around 1500Y which is fantastic value for the range and choice available. If you don't eat then don't choose this option, but I can recommend it, you are unlikely to need much more during the day!
The location is really good as there is planty to see and do around the area. First up I should say the train link to Osaka Central is frequent and easy to use. 4 stops and very reasonable. I use an ICACO card for JR trains now and find it extremely useful. Buy it at the main stations and use it at shops as well, which saves pockets full of small change. Easy to top up as most machines have English button. This hotel is obviously not in the main centre however 15 minutes gets you there and the room rates are significantly better value, in my case around 30% less for similar standard.
Osaka Castle park had various different things running over the 2 weekends I was there, and included local bands playing which was interesting although strange to listen to. Main marathon event on second weekend was very colourful and used the entire park path network but kept them open to the public as well which was very well organised. The park itself is beautiful and well worth a couple of hours strolling around. There is a concert area at the far end which was being used for rehearsals and a great selection of music was filling the whole area. There is a tourist river boat stop immediatly across from the hotel and frequent service too. Typical large river barges and reasonable price for the hours trip. Seemed to be very popular although not my thing.
The castle is the biggest draw however and well worth the effort to walk around. I have reviewed it already so check it out.
Plenty of choice for eating and shopping in the commercial area adjacent to the hotel including a reasonably well catered for mall with US/european themed shops. Not on the same scale as the main city centre areas though so jump on the train and head there for your retail therapy!
I have stayed in Osaka on business many times over the past 4 years but this was my favourite trip of all. Clearly this is not budget acccomodation however if you are looking for good value at the top end of the accomodation ladder in the Osaka area then I can thoroughly recommend New Otani. Their club is very popular to join although i cannot comment on how good as I have not indulged. Others on here can provide a better view on this, however it would appear to offer better deals for mor frequent use as you might expect.

Room Tip: River facing rooms are my choice here, just ask reception or email your request in advance.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, Manager at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I would like to thank you for staying at Hotel New Otani Osaka. Moreover, thank you very much for taking time to leave comments and recommendation to other travelers.

I am pleased that you have appreciated the various facts of our hotel such as our location, rooms, housekeeping, breakfast. We are gratified to know that your experience with us was relaxing and peaceful. Your words of contentment are an incentive for us to continue our efforts to nourish and pursue a higher standard of hospitality.

Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to the pleasure of serving you again in the near future!
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I spent two nights at the New Otani Hotel Osaka. I had a room on the 13th floor with a view of the Castle. I highly recommend signing up for the New Otani Club before you arrive. Membership gets you free admission to the outdoor pool, which offered a great reprieve from hot humid weather. I was also able to get reduced room rates with membership. Staff were professional and helpful. The hotel also offers bike rentals at a decent price. I picked up a bike at 6 am and dropped it off at 9pm for a one day rental price. A great way to see Osaka. I spent much of the time lost, but it didn't really matter. I'd read that the hotel had a tennis court, so I hauled my racket from the US with me. But as it turned out, there was no one to play with, not even a pro for hitting lessons. Oh well. There was plenty to do without tennis. One concern is that the room I was in was called nonsmoking, but it had the scent of having been smoked in. I didn't complain, but expect if I had, another room would have been found for me. Very nice amenities, shampoo, conditioner (which I always appreciate) and lots of other "stuff."

Room Tip: If you want a Castle view room, which is very nice, you might want to check the concert schedule at...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, Manager at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us at Hotel New Otani Osaka and for taking time to leave a review.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the benefits of being a New Otani Club member. Your suggestion to future guests regarding the Club will no doubt be appreciated by future guests.

On the other hand, it was disturbing to hear that there was the scent of smoke in your room, since the 13F is and has always been a designated non-smoking floor. We will investigate that situation and do apologize for the inconvenience caused you. Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the future.

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed 5 nights and had a deluxe double room. For us, the hotel was in great location for our day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Kobe. Internet in the room had good connection and very useful for us to plan our trips.Train station is very close and everything can be reached very easy and fast. Room was very clean and hotel staff always friendly and helpful. The only thing which annoyed us a little was that we would need to pay entrance fee to use the swimming pool. We only wanted to go for a quick swimm in the evening and would've needed to pay something like a spa day pass and there was no other option available.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, 支配人 at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We appreciate your choosing Hotel New Otani Osaka during your recent visit to Osaka and are delighted that you enjoyed our location as a base for your day trips to Kyoto, Nara, and Kobe. Moreover, it is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed the room and our service.

Regarding the swimming pool fee at the Fitness Club, the club is only open to a private members and in-house guests, and there is always admission fee to utilize the facility including the swimming pool. We will keep your comment in our mind and brought up for discussion in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Meanwhile, we are looking forward to welcoming you to the New Otani upon your next visit to our city.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Polite and helpful staff
Room was large, immaculately cleaned every morning and the bed was very comfortable
The hotel is located in a quiet area and is only a 5 Minute walk to the nearest JR station
Breakfast was great as you have a choice of a western or Japanese breakfast.
Great View of Osaka Castle

Note that if you are a fitness junkie like me you can run around Osaka castle as their is a great trail there where the locals also run :p

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the castle
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, 支配人 at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel New Otani Osaka.

I am glad to know that you were so pleased with you stay. Your positive comments regarding our service and facilities encourage our staff to always keep the comfort and satisfaction of our guests as our highest priority.

Yes, it is located in a convenient area! I am also glad to know you enjoyed the running around Osaka Castle.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel New Otani Osaka again in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

What about 40 min to checkin when you are the only 1 in queue ?
What about being charged USD 50 per person to use swimming pool, but it closes 6 PM in Summer ?
What about your son being blocked to use indoor pool since he is not 18 ?
What about pay extra to get a Castle View and have to swing over the window to see 5% of it ?

This is just an idea about the type of hotel you will get.

For me does not deserve ratings. Will not stay here anymore nor recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank L F
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, Manager at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us at Hotel New Otani Osaka.

We were very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay and apologise for inconveniences caused when you checked in. We regret that we were not able to satisfy you with the view of Osaka Castle from the room.

The closing time of swimming pool has been set at 6PM for safety reasons as well as due to the opening time of The Terrace poolside restaurant. As for the indoor swimming pool in the Fitness Club, there are some special days for the center to be opened for children, in particular, on some dates during holiday seasons, but normally, entrance is not permitted to those below 18 years of age.

Once again, we are sorry that your stay was not a pleasant one. Thank you for taking time to communicate your ideas. We will keep them in mind in our continuous efforts to improve our hotel and our service.

Paris, France
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed one night at the New Otani on my way to Osaka airport. I got in fairly late and left before breakfast but the service from arrival to leaving was of the highest order. Situated in a haven of green in Osaka, I will certainly be returning the next time business leads me to Osaka.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
HotelNewOtaniOsaka, 支配人 at Hotel New Otani Osaka, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel New Otani Osaka.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay with us even the time was short! We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel once again. For the next time, please take some time to relax at the hotel.

Management, Hotel New Otani Osaka