Hotel Nikko Osaka
US$203
US$172
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
RIHGA Royal Hotel Osaka(Osaka)
US$130
US$167
US$126
JAPANiCAN.com
2,085 results
All reviewsshinsaibashi stationgreat locationdaimaru department storeshinsaibashi shopping arcadewalking distancedirect accesskansai airportjapanese breakfastbasement leveldouble bedearly checkgreat shoppinglanguage barrierhotel staffmidosuji linerooms are smallfamily mart
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have been here on business minimum 15 times. Finally, I changed to another hotel because I really got fed up here.

Big hotel, many rooms. The rooms are mostly extremely small. You are not able to even open your suitcase in full in a standard room. Micro-small bath room containers made by plasti all around.

The rooms are very expensive. If you arrive dead tired in the morning at the hotel- you must even pay an Early-Checkin fee. That can be 30 % or mire of your room rate.

Breakfast is good but the breakfast room is also by far too small. Long waitin lines in the morning.
I will never get into the bar at night. The drinks are incredibly expensive, they even charge you a table charge. An ordinary beer can easily cost you 20 Dollars.
Food in the restauarnt also very expensive.
Internet is free - for PC with LAN cable. You can also get a room WIFI. But you must install all by yourself. Very complicated and old-fashioned.

The only good is the location. The hotel is on a high-street and the shopping area and entertainment area (Namba) is very close.

Room Tip: I think they only have standard rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank balimini
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great hotel in Osaka. Clean and nice/big room. Comfortable bed. Nice staff. Close to a subway station, which makes it easy to get around Osaka. Dotonbori is less than 10 minutes away on foot. Would visit again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed in a twin room on their L floor for 5 nights in December 2013.

The location was excellent. We arrived by Midosuji Line subway after the Nankai Airport Line. The hotel is connected directly to the Exit 8 of the Shinsaibashi subway station on the Midosuji line, saves us from having to go up to the streets to reach it. It is also within 2 minutes walk from the Shinsaibashisuji shopping district, which works great for us, possibly the best located hotel for shoppers.

The room was spacious by Japanese standard. We were able to lay down our 3 pieces of full size luggage on the floor and still able to move around in the room without issue. The room is quite modern and clean.

The hotel is right on the Midosuji Boulevard, so if you are sensitive to traffic noise, you may wish to enquire about possibility of a room not facing to main road. However personally I had no issue with the noise at all when sleeping.

With the restaurant, we only had buffer breakfast there. The food was decent and met expectations. We did not try the other restaurants there to comment.

The staff service is okay, but not great due to the following disappointment.

We tend to do lots of shopping whilst travelling, and expect the hotel we stay in to assist with posting the parcel. The staff assisting us at the reception insisted on me sending the parcel (large carton box) via EMS, which would have been very costly, and said postal parcel is not available. Whilst looking at the EMS rate table and discussing the cost of EMS , I noticed that there was information about postal parcels, yet the staff still denied its availability again when asked.

Furthermore, the parcel would have been delivered back home too soon via EMS as we still had weeks of travelling ahead of us. The solution offered was they would get a 3rd party to hold the parcel for us for a few weeks and they would then take it to the post office to ship via EMS so that it would arrive after we return home. I found it odd and upon further enquiry, the staff made it clear that it is a 3rd party service and not associated with the hotel, which made me quite uncomfortable as I wouldn't even know what to do if the parcel does not eventually arrive as expected.

Thankfully another senior staff overheard our conversations, and intervened. He spoke to the staff assisting me who then advised me that post parcel was indeed available!

Then I found that shipping a parcel at Nikko is a complicated multi-step process (not sure if unique to regular postal parcel only or EMS as well). I hand over the packaged carton on a given day, I then have to re-approach the reception in the afternoon of the next business day to find out the charge and pay for it, and the parcel would then be sent the following business day. We stayed there during a Japanese long weekend, hence the process took 3 days to complete. Fortunately our stay was just long enough to be able to do it, otherwise we would have been forced to carry all the shopped goods with us to the next stop.

Contrasting this saga to the experience I expected and received at another hotel later in the trip - I get the packaged carton to the reception, they can work with any postal method I choose, weigh it on the spot, and advise me the charge right there. I pay for it and entrust them to post it out the next business day, It did not take more than 10 minutes for me to complete the process.

Given the calibre of Nikko and Nikko Osaka's location right at the main shopping district in Osaka, I was really surprised that the service is so unfriendly for shoppers and I hope that they may consider revising their process/training, or I would have to find another hotel for our next visit that offers better service for foreign shoppers.

Room Tip: L floor is well fit-out. Consider enquiring about a room not facing the main road if noise is really a concern, but note that it was not an issue for us.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hseldon
Jan M, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Hseldon,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our excellent location and our guest rooms.
We certainly appreciate it.

Regarding your comments on the parcel delivery I will review our policies right away and see how we can better serve our guests in this regard. Thank you for brining it to my attention.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Nikko Osaka in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Jan W. Marshall

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Generally we like Nikko hotels, and will go out of our way to stay there if we can. This one however was a disappointment. The location is great, and the lobby puts on a good show, but once you get to the rooms, it's a different story. We expected they would be small (this is Japan), but did not expect the 80s decor (zebra print pillows? really?), scuffed walls and scratched and chipped bathroom fixtures. To their credit, the desk staff let us cancel the remainder of our reservation, but wow, what a disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 38Thomas
HNO_CS, マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for recently choosing to stay at Hotel Nikko Osaka.
Also I appriciate for your positive comments regarding our location.

In regards to our facilities we will take your comments into consideration as we are constantly in the process of upgrading.

We have finished changing some of our carpet in our rooms and hallways and are updating some of our furniture where needed on an on-going basis.

I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back the next time you are in Osaka.

Sincerely yours,

Emi Yumoto
Quality Manager
Hotel Nikko Osaka

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Friends in Japan booked a five-day stay in Osaka for me recently. They chose Hotel Nikko because of its location and they should know, they live there! It is located on the main road through the city centre so there are plenty of taxis available. Three minutes walk to a parallel street is the famous Shinsaibashi covered shopping arcade and the Shinsaibachi subway station. The hotel is fabulous. The rooms are small but well designed. The bathroom offered a heated toilet seat, bath, shower and large bottles of showering products and hair dryer. The bed was very comfortable. Additional features are TV, hot water machine, bar fridge, desk and chair, easy chair and table. The view from the 24th floor was stunning. Breakfast is a choice of full smorgasbord or a Japanese meal in a separate restaurant. I chose the smorgasbord breakfast. It catered for everyone and one can sit near the windows watching the world go by on the busy main street. Staff are very polite. There are vending machines on every floor selling beer, water, fruit juice. The hotel does not stock the bar fridge so even bottled water has to be purchased from the vending machines. The only hot beverage supplied in the room is tea.The only draw-back for me was the lack of an iron and ironing board in the room although there is a laundry service available which I did not use. There were some noisy young adults in the adjacent room but a call to reception soon stopped their after-midnight noise. If all hotels in major cities were of the standard of the Hotel Nikko, I would be a happy traveller.

Room Tip: If you need an iron, I suggest you bring your own.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo