“Great Location, friendly service”
Review of Hotel Nikko Osaka

Hotel Nikko Osaka
Ranked #18 of 322 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great location, easy access to subway. Very friendly service. Easy access to shopping area in Shinsaibashi. Very close to shopping street area. Can even shop underground even in bad weather. Have airport bus right in front of the hotel. Very nice breakfast. Tasty and have a great variety. Osaka is a extremely great place to play around. It is very suitable for all types of tourists. Nice place, very clean and tidy bedroom.

Room Tip: Better to ask for a room which face the main street. The view is awesome if you are facing Tiffiany...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Nikko Osaka

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I was so surprise when I saw the room of this hotel because of its size, not sure 20+ sqm. but it has everything...! And can make you feel so comfortable. Its single room with single queen size bed. Hotel is in the city centre and Shisaibashi is just across the street. Breakfast is good but cauliflower on salad corner somehow not fresh. At check out i asked reception to get receipt under my company name but she said it would take long time and she asked me back 'why dont you inform us at check in?' Yes i didnt but i do think this question shouldn't be asked...so i said no problem and leave with receipt under only my name. The rest of overall experience is good!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Mark E
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Nikko Hotels is a Japanese chain of hotels. However, with a chain hotel like Hilton or Sheraton one always knows what to expect. Nikko Hotels differ in quality, style and setup per hotel. The Nikko Hotel in Sasebo (South Japan) is a simple, no thrills, dated, 100% tourist oriented place. The Nikko Hotel in Fukuoka is luxurious, modern and lucious place. Nikko Osaka is somewhere inbetween.

Nikko Osaka is located in a striking building in the heart of Osaka. High class fashion and jewelry brands have shops in the same street. However, when I arrived there was no one to welcome me. Even when I walked up to a bellboy outside he merely pointed at the entrance but did not offer any assistance, eventhough I was obviously struggling with very bulky and heavy luggage. Once inside I ended up in a little shopping mall. Where's the hotel? Again no help from the bellboy, even when I exchanged puzzled looks with him. It was a lady from a restaurant who escorted me to the central lobby, which turned out to be on the second floor.

Check-in was swift and curtious, but again no thrills. Like many Japanese hotels, guests are not allowed into their room until check-in time at the Nikko. This meant the central lobby was filled with unattended luggage from guests who showed up early, went to town and had to leave their luggage in the hotel lobby because they were not allowd into their rooms yet. What an eye sore!

My room (#1422) was tiny and simple. There was a faint smell of cigarettes (I reserved a no smoking room) and there's very little luxury. No complimentary water bottles, no robe, not even an attempt at any style. There is a safe deposit box in the room, but it is too small for the average laptop computer or DSLR camera. So even when I didn't have to work, I still had to carry all my valuables with me every time I left the hotel. Considering the stiff price I paid, this is disappointing. Room service is available, but there's not a single vegetarian or vegan meal on the menu. In other words: I was forced to eat outside the hotel every single day (carrying that heavy backpack with the laptop and camera equipment with me).

Wifi and cable Internet are available (for free) and it worked fine throughout my stay. The laundry service isn't as expensive as in other hotels and same day service is the default policy. As expected: my cloths looked brand new when I received them back from the laundry service.

There are three restaurants in the lobby. The guests are issued with vauchers for breakfast. While breakfast isn't half bad, it certainly isn't top class. The bread tasted like it was at least a day old. When one shows up late, much of it is already gone. And do stay away from the union bread, it looks like plain bread but it tastes disgusting.

Nikko Hotel Osaka is mainly a place for holiday makers. If you spend each day in the city and your hotel is just a place to sleep, then the Nikko Hotel Osaka is a decent choice. If your hotel is your home away from home, then this isn't the place to be. Prices on booking sites can vary during time and perhaps I had a very bad deal. I've seen prices of hotels double or being cut in half within a week (I take my time picking a hotel). Had the price been fair, I would not have had any complaints. But in my case Hotel Nikko was a tourist class place at business class prices.

After settling the bill I left the hotel a bit disgruntled. And then... at the very last moment of my stay, I met two interns from my home country. They immediately assisted me with my bagage and even walked me to the platform of the subway station. They answered all questions I had about Osaka, my transfer to Tokyo and hotel Nikko. In mere minutes they basically provided all service and courtisy the other staff of the hotel didn't. A silver lining to an otherwise unsatisfactory stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank i0kan
Jan M, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Iokan,

Thank you for recently staying with us.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in our property. Our Guest Service Manager Mr. Turpin has corresponded with you seperately. I hope we can have another chance to show you our true Japanese hospitality.

Jan Marshall

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed at Hotel Nikko over 18-25 April 2014, booked using booking.com, no issues at all. A quick train ride from Kansai Airport including one change at Namba station. The hotel is situated directly above the Shinsaibashi station, get out on exit 8, there are elevators directly to the hotel.

There are 2-3 shuttle buses per day directly between Hotel Nikko and Kansai Airport. Very convenient on the way back to the airport especially if you have done your share of shopping. Buses are directly in front of the hotel, staff help you carry luggage directly onto bus. We got the 3.05pm bus and arrived at Kanisai airport around 4.15pm, perfect for our 6pm departure. Cost was 1,550 yen per adult (compared to 1,000-1,200 yen via train).

Staff are polite and generally helpful, although sometimes limited by language and knowledge. There are 3 Western hotel staff which are helpful for us non Japanese speaking guests. Don't rely too much on concierge being able to help you find places off the beaten track, make sure you do your own homework.

Rooms are small but average per Japan standards, showers have good pressure which is a bonus. Rooms have wifi but you need to re-enter the password sometimes. We booked late and got a smoking room, but it was acceptable.

If you're out and about most of the day and only use the hotel to sleep at night, this hotel is exactly what you're looking for. A 5 minute walk either side to the main Shinsaibashi shopping arcade and Dotombori eat streets and to American town, about 10-15 minute walk to Namba, Daimaru is just across the street, as are the luxury brands. There is a Family Mart just behind the hotel, and Starbucks is about 5 min walk away (towards American Town).

Osaka is a pretty vibrant city, with lots of tourists and locals alike. Golden Week was just starting at the end of our trip and the Shinsaibashi arcade was literally a sea of people (though still very disciplined). If you're a morning person, highly recommend you go out for a walk before 10am and enjoy what Osaka has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Winnie H
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The hotel is located right above Shinsaibashi Subway station and a 6-min walk from Namba Station (Subway, JR Line and several private lines). It is also a street away from the Shinsaibashi shopping street. It is therefore the perfect location for eating, shopping and making day trips to Koyasan or Nara. The hotel itself is spotless and the staff speaks excellent english. The hotel is also one of the stop of the airport limousine bus. A 1-way trip is slightly above 1,500Y - convenient and good value. Would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed at Nikko everytime we travel to Osaka. The room is small but have everything you need.
Clean but the smoking smell on the lobby floor is unacceptable. The hotel does not provide WIFI in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear janies77,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Nikko Osaka.

Also thank you for staying with us each time you visit Osaka!
I do apologize for the smoke smell on the lower lounge.

I also would like to infom you we do offer COMPLIMENTARY wifi in each of guest rooms.
Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Jan Marshall

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great Hotel! Great location. Easy to get to from train station and we could walk in any direction to the many interesting sites.
Choice of American or Japanese breakfast, we always when Japanese!
Concierges found us GREAT places for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Jan M, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear F H,

Thank you very much for recently staying with us. We sincerely appreciate your comments.
We certainly have a wonderful location with easy access to everything Osaka has to offer as you mentioned.

I believe you also tried our new Japanese breakfast buffet which we are receiving many good comments on as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Osaka.

Jan W Marshall