“The Dome”

RIHGA Royal Hotel Osaka
Ranked #31 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be staying in a Natural Room - which was modern and fresh. My friends were not so lucky and were in the West Tower where the room was tired and very small. My room had a very comfortable bed - which was great after a busy day of sight seeing. In addition, it had a wide array of bathroom products and bottled water was supplied. The wifi was a bit variable but still ok. My room package had access to the pool but they won't let even see it unless you have your swimmers on!! The room service food I has one night was average as the "steamed vegetables" must have been steamed for a very long time - but it fed me. We ate at one of the many, many, many restaurants in the basement if the building. This food was well overpriced and very small portions. The bus to Osaka train station is a welcome and necessary service. The reason I have titled my review 'The Dome' - is because the hotel feels like it is an isolated town that once you are here you don't have to leave - bit weird for me. If I had a choice of where to stay in Osaka again - it would not be here due to is location and feel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Slug012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,734)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I attended a conference at the adjacent convention center and Rihga Royal hotel was the designated hotel. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The decor was a bit dated and the carpet and wall could need some renovation.

After I checked in, I found out the toilet was malfunction. Five minutes after I called the front desk, someone came up and examine the toilet. At first, he said was okay but then he tried to flush, the toilet was overflown. There was no maintenance to fix it during the evening. I ended up switching to the room across the hallway which turned out to be a suite. I was allowed to stay in the suite for the entire stay without additional charge!! Nice touch!!

The location of the hotel is not that great but there is free shuttle service running to and from Osaka JR station from 7:30 am to 10:00 pm. The bus runs from every 15 to 6 minutes. It was great!!

I tried the buffet breakfast which was included in my room. It serves both Japanese and Western style breakfast. I like the japanses style breakfast!! After a few days, it got tiresome.

There is a subway station below the hotel, but I never tried. There are also restaurants and shops in the basement level.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. We were originally given a twin room in the west wing (despite booking a double) and when we reached the room it's clear to see there is a period of remodeling going on! There were stains on the carpet and walls looked like a 20 per day smoker hadn't left the room in 20 years. Plus the beds were singles and very hard! Not a good start. After speaking to the reception staff we were upgraded to a Natural Comfort Room (normally 5000yen more per night) and it's one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Comfortable beds, huge room, nice bathroom etc. The hotel has a lot of facilities and the Chinese restaurant on the 15th floor serves very good food but at crazy prices, it's very expensive.
Finally this hotel is nowhere near any Osaka attractions or anywhere close to a subway line that actually serves the attractions. It's 40 minutes minimum to get anywhere. If I were to come here again I'd have to stay somewhere else because of the poor location of the hotel. There is a free shuttle bus from the main Osaka JR station.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank S10bhan86
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Attended a business conference with my husband. Rhiga Royal is a very large hotel with many shops and restaurants. We had a deluxe room which was spacious and very clean and comfortable.The rooms were very quiet. With a deluxe room there is access to a pleasant lounge with large windows and , and soft drinks available. A very good breakfast was included. The staff was wonderful. The concierge spoke excellent english and was extra helpful. Osaka castle and the ceramics museum (there is a beautiful park with rose gardens behind the museum) is an easy train ride away from train stop at the hotel. There is a free shuttle to Osaka Station where there are restaurants,shops, department stores, and a rooftop ferris wheel. The museum of art is a short walk away from the hotel. I found the subway/trains very confusing although people and train employees were very friendly and helpful with directions. So, we took some taxis which were expensive but not prohibitively expensive. We had to spend a good deal of time in the hotel since this was a business trip and our stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife & I just got back from Osaka, Japan. We stayed in Rihga Royal Hotel courtesy of our host organization celebrating an important corporate milestone (50th Anniversary). We spent 3 days & nights practically within the hotel except for a free time going to Kyoto visiting famous shrines & temples.
Thus, we got to see every nook & corner of the hotel and must say that it can boast of the name Royal as their facilities & services are definitely made with royals in mind...but with commoners in their hearts. Witness our 3rd and final night at the Crown Room at the 28th Floor. The name of the function room is very fitting to the ambiance...and the food.
So, who would want to become a royal when we, commoners, just the same, can have it all?!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TEOFILO JR S
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last year,when attending a conference at the Osaka Convention Center, located next to the hotel. The hotel is huge, modern & classy, with a number of restaurants & shops. The staff gave excellent service. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable & well equipped with everything we need. Besides that breakfast was very good with a variety of food served. Since the hotel was quite far from shopping centers & Osaka station, giving access to the rest of the city, the hotel offered a free shuttle to that station. It was great. In short, I enjoyed staying at this hotel very much & would be back sometime...

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I had two "different" stays in this hotel. My family and I had a vacation first (stayed in the Tower Wing) and then I moved to the West Wing when I stayed on for the conference.

As a conference venue, this place is great. It's right next door to the Osaka Conference Centre. If you are at the Conferences and want to avoid long lines at the cafe for meals, the 7-11 is just across the street (for both the hotel and the centre). They do good and cheap take-out meals. Loads of beverages too. The Conference centre has a nice outdoor seating (very breezy area) just at the ground floor area where lots of folks eat their 7-11 lunches in relative comfort.

As a family vacation - if you are ever there in summer in time for the annual fireworks festival, ask for a room in the Tower Wing, on as high a floor as they will give you. My family and I had awesome views of the fireworks from our hotel window. The Tower Wing faces the river, and is just 2 or 3 blocks away from where they hold the festival. Great views in your private air-conditioned comfort.

The Hotel shuttle to Umeda station is what makes this hotel so tourist friendly. It literally comes every 6 minutes (until 10pm, then it's 15mins). I gave up on the expensive taxi ride to the airport (USD117!) and took the hotel shuttle to Umeda, then walked across the street to take the airport bus. Very convenient, and for the princely sum of 1,500 Yen. Wonderfully convenient too!

Umeda station itself is enormous and central and will take you to just about anywhere in Osaka very easily and quickly. Explore the underground shopping city for cheap eats. Wonderful shopping accessibility. Uniqlo on sale in summer can't be beat. ;)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family