“Disappointed... grand but not up to my Hyatt standards”

Hyatt Regency Osaka
Ranked #24 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We spent 5 nights in April for a Spring Break holiday. Hotel was large and regal though something felt a little outdated... Opted up for connecting rooms with our teen sons instead of simply 2 rooms. Upgrade got us rooms with separate tub, shower bathrooms, was disappointed to realize tub could only accommodate 1...The room furniture needed to be replaced, the desks had wood peeling and the drapes did not work. The beds were incredibly hard (might just be a japan thing, but i don't think so) The saving grace was the standing shower! Definitely a plus point there. The sky-bar upstairs was great, the assistant manager spend a nice while chatting with us and gave us great suggestions of places to see. Location was an issue too. Very far from the "city" but can't change that... The last bit was the breakfast... not good in any standard... there is a bakery across the street that is a better bet for mornings.

Room Tip: If you are not planning on going into the city often this is a great local, on the harbor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MckennonAdams
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were a bit anxious for our first time in Japan, but the Hyatt in Osaka made the stay delightful. We were in Osaka four nights before heading to the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. Going to Osaka first was a great way to adjust to a very different culture. The staff made us feel very welcome and were ready to help in any way they could. .So professional and courteous! The hotel is first class and spacious, with lots of natural light and nice landscaping. The hotel is immaculately clean, and our room was large and quiet with a great view of the skyline of Osaka The bathroom offered a beautiful shower and soaking tub, lots of marble and granite.

As Hyatt Diamond members they made very special efforts to accommodate our vegetarian diets. Thanks to Regency Club concierge Ms. Hayakawa and the excellent chef! As others said, this hotel is a bit out of the way in the Osaka port, but the Hyatt offers two complementary shuttles - one to Osaka Station (every 30 minutes) and one to the subway at Cosmosquare (every 15 minutes). And wow are they punctual! The benefit is the Hyatt is in a lovely, quiet area for rest, but a just a shuttle ride to central Osaka where all the liveliness is. We are runners and just outside the hotel is a delightful walking trail that goes on for over 30 minutes. Also you can walk or run along the waterfront and enjoy the views of downtown Osaka.

We continue to appreciate the staff of Hyatt, and the Hyatt Regency Osaka was another reason why we continue to book Hyatt hotels for our international and US travels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank longtimeresident
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Positive-
Concierge staff were helpful and friendly- especially Ms. Tanaka of the Concierge and Ms. Mine of the Front Office. The Sky Lounge Bar had made their slip ups when I visited, but friendly staff and quick service recovery maintains that Hyatt is truly strong in Food and Beverage all over the World.

If you want a favourable review, do not scroll down.

Rooms were comfortable, however I found no mini bar items in the room, the mini fridge was physically unstable (missing screw on the base) and no complimentary water was offered, which other Hyatt Regencies, such as the one in Shinjuku Tokyo, would provide.

A fruit plate and two glass bottles of water were given to me after staying here for a few nights, and no one cleared the soiled plate and bottles right until the day I checked out. A Hyatt hotels staff should be trained and not need prompting.

In addition to this, I was over charged on my room rate with only the explanation of "tax and service charge" and was not offered a break down of these charges when I asked multiple times.

The receptionist checking me out of my room did not speak in full sentences as other staff would and made me feel I was unvalued at the hotel.

Lack of flexibility of the associate checking me out should also be noted.

The rooms were almost there, but the flaws and poor location is not what stops me from returning...

It is this that will prevent my return-

Housekeeping and staff attitude of some front office associates killed the hotel. This is far from a Hyatt and I will not stay here the next time I am in Osaka.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank MisterGlobetrotter
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Unless you are absolutely sure the hotel is located within 50 meters of the only place you want to visit while in Osaka, you should avoid this hotel.
Hyatt prides itself of holding high standards and hence, as such it should be judged.
Generally, the hotel and its rooms are dated which in itself its not a major thing, BUT the carpets are filthy and deeply stained ( see pictures), the curtains are so worn out that the sunlight get through the worn holes the fabric has (see pictures).
The hotel is hard to reach by metro and not close to the nearest station so unless your only reason for visiting Osaka is right next to the hotel do not choose this hotel for its location.
Our room had a strong mildew odor although the bed was odorless and seemed to be clean.
When I advised the front desk staff about the filthy state of the carpet and the worn curtain, they took it as a surprise which even made things worst because they really have not inspected the rooms for the past five years or they tend to thing guests are idiots.
I honestly think this hotel should be closed down and remodel entirely or take off the hyatt name out of itself.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Tripadvfan12
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We were greeted at check-in by exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable staff. It is hard to believe this hotel is almost 20 years old it looks brand-new!!!
Lobby bar is cozy and friendly, and we just "felt right" from the start.

Planned our trip downtown to Shinsaibashi, Namba, and Dotonburin and the staff was very helpful with places to go. They also booked tickets to Universal Studios, and then helped us cancel and rebook for the following day. Awesome service!!!

Congratulations to the management of this hotel for doing such a great job. When we are in Osaka for sure this will be our hotel of choice

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed at Hyatt Regency Osaka 3 times in two weeks overseeing two business study trips and a family vacation. It is frequent enough for me to notice the pattern at the front desk that there were two staff on duty, a western look male and a Japanese female. Two out of three times, I observed that the female Japanese staff did most of the check-in work while the male western staff simply stood nearby watching her doing the work. This is perhaps not a good teamwork but may be a waste of human resource. I learnt from my coordinator that a group traveller, calling in-bound, is not a preferred choice for this hotel.
It would be helpful If any group travelers may revisit this hotel and provide a further review to confirm or disregard this observation. For future travelers, the hotel location is at the Osaka port which is far from town but a shuttle bus service is available. One 24-hour Lawson convenience store on the opposite building is perhaps the best thing you can find needed survivals such as drinking water and snacks. The bath room amenities is very very minimal leaving nothing much to appreciate and remember except a standard cold service hotel with good brand and stars.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hua M
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed here on business for 3 nights in March, overall I had a pleasant stay! The property is located around 30 mins from Osaka JR Station which a complimentary shuttle service is provided to, there is also a free shuttle to Cosmosquare Station which was handy as we could go straight to Osaka Castle on the same line and change to the Red Line for Dotonbori. It was convenient for myself as Business was at the Cruise Terminal so only a short taxi ride away.
Hotel was lovely, spacious clean bathroom, comfortable twin beds as I was sharing with a colleague, they were very low to the ground which I guess is typical in Japan. Wifi was ok not the best I have had but I could put up with it & get most things done.
Concierge was helpful with making reservations and giving directions, breakfast was a good spread of Japanese & Western and the Cafe served up a decent Club Sandwich.
I did find that English wasn't that great in the hotel and I expected a little better however it was enough to get by.
I Would stay here again in Osaka!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business