“BEST Ramen EVER..”

Ranked #7 of 31,412 Restaurants in Osaka
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I tried Ichiran upon the recommendation of a friend in Tokyo and LOVED it there. It was the BEST ramen that I've had - ever. I even bought those instant ones to take home and it was still very good!

So when we decided to go to Osaka, I made sure to visit the Osaka (Dontonbori Branch)

We went on a rainy Tuesday night, fell in line and waited for about 10minutes to get seated. Got our orders from the vending machine and in less than 3 minutes our orders were all served.

It is STILL THE BEST ramen that I've ever had. I love it that you can custom make your ramen's taste - so that every time you go here, the ramen is tweaked to your fancy!!

They're opne 24/7!!

Ate here twice during the Osaka trip, and will definitely go back again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

It was my first time using the vending machines for order taking and it was a pleasant experience. The ramen soup was indeed very tasty and the serving portion was great. Because of the fact that there's so much soup, I recommend getting a second serving of ramen so that you can lap it all up!

1  Thank Kento1985
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We went to this restaurant after reading some of the reviews in TA. First we had to queue up on the stairs then proceed to a vending machine to choose the ramen and additional toppings etc. This itself is acceptable and is typical of food outlets in Japan. What I found irritating was that we were given 2 forms in Japanese and led to a seat along a counter with moveable side walls. We then had to fill in the forms and call the waitress before they cook the ramen. Not being able to read Japanese I pressed the bell for the waitress to ask how to fill in the forms. There was no help from her and we ended up just ticking the centre boxes in the forms. We got the ramen which was just acceptable in taste and which we could have got in other ramen shops in the city.
We were definitely not impressed with the service and food contrary to what other reviewers have written. Its just too much of a hassle and would not patronize it anytime in future.

1  Thank Baba4405
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been waiting to try this ramen after watching a food program featuring Ichiran. ..and yes, I really love it, I ate there twice during my 3 nights stay in Osaka.

This place is easy to locate. it is beside the huge yellow structure fronting Dotonbori river. I try to avoid lunch and dinner times the queue isn't too long. They are very efficient to handle the crowd. the waitress speak to me in simple English and asked me if I prefer English or Chinese form and loan me a pen to fill in first. I think this is productive and let you have time to think how you want your bowl of noodle to be cook. You will circle strength of taste, noodle tenderness, amount of garlic, onions, special red sauce etc.

Things to note for first timer:

1.) The order form comes in 2 sheets. The first sheet is for you to circle what I have mentioned above. The second sheet is for 2nd round order where you wish to odder more noodle, egg, dessert etc and pay in cash (don't need to go out and buy coupon using the vending machine).
The attending waiter returned me the change later so it is ok if you don't have exact change.

2.) You will buy your basic bowl of ramen (790 yen) using the machine. I inserted a 1.000 yen note, it pause for a while after I pressed for ramen because it allows you make multiple selection like egg, extra onion, extra noodle etc. If you can't decide, just pay for the basic bowl for first round and use 2nd sheet of the form and pay in cash like what I did.

3.) You can hang your jacket behind the booth and bag above your seat. There is also a small hanger below the desk for you to hang things.

4.) You will notice a yellow small flat bell "button" on your desk. Press on it and they will attend to you immediately.

5.) You can choose to add half or full portion of noodle. Also, do not drink up all the broth if you intend to add noodle later.They will give you a new bowl of noodle only for you to add on to your broth.

6.) They have a new tofu dessert (280 yen for 2) which I recommend to try if you still can stomach. You may want to order it together with your noodle because it is recommended to eat one before your noodle and one after that.

The branch at Dotonbori open 24 hour. You can enjoy Ichiran ramen anytime ;-)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We went there at 3pm after landing and there is no queue, fun experience buying food from vending machine and sitting in individual booth. The partition between individual booth can be removed so you can actually sit together.

Staff there is also friendly. Menu came in many languages. Must try in Osaka.