“Great location but rooms need update”

Hotel Monterey Osaka
Ranked #47 of 342 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near the Osaka station and business district. The hotel is about 5 minute walk from the Sakurabashi exit but you must look for the Sakura-bashi exit (at one end) while on the train platform. Otherwise you would miss the exit and end up taking the long way around. Exit the station and cross the street and walk through an indoor path with many restaurants and shops. Upon arrival at the ground floor of the hotel with what looks a garage, look for a door and take the elevator to the 9th floor reception. Reception is friendly and at least one person there speaks fluent English. (We had to ask for directions and was impressed with the good directions). Room size is typically small and is in need of an update. The small double bed is pushed against the wall and is not the most comfortable. At least the bathroom has been renovated and there is free in room wifi and safe. There is a Starbuck right across from the hotel which is convenient for breakfast

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank timbuk2Toronto
monosa, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Hotel Monterey Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2017

Thank you very much for your staying at HOTEL MONTEREY OSAKA.
We would also like to say thank you for taking your valuable time to send us your sentiments.
We will further endeavor to fulfill the expectations that you have had for our hotel.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Maybe I'm an old-fashioned guy to think that when you're working in hotel business, one important thing you must have is Service Mind. I've get that service from almost every hotel staff alright, except one night from only one guy. Can't remember the name, knowing just he's at the hotel conciege night chip. That day I would like to make a reservation at restaurant in Tokyo, so I ask him to help me making a call because I can't speak in Japanese. I must accept it's my fault to didn't recognize that it was a long distance call. I should've know just by the look of this old guy's face. He didn't tell me about extra charge which I would never mind to pay at any cost. Instead, this old guy was making a call look frustated, and asking me with annoyance voice every time the restaurant want to know about date, time, numbers of person and what kind of seat I preferred. I didn't make a reservation at that restaurant because the menu I would like to have was unavailable. This trip I travelled with my wife, so I would like to take her to a special dinner that day. So, I asked him to make a phone call to another restaurant, which he this time abruptly refuse saying it's a long distance and also crossing his hands(meaning 'No more', 'Cannot' in Japanese) overall, that is only terrible thing I've got from this hotel. Other things just fine, room was clean, though a little bit small comparing to the money I paid. Location, it's 7-10 minute walk to Umeda (Osaka) Station. Let's make your own decision about staying at this hotel or not. But for me, that was the last time i'd staying here, because it lose me with the act of only one old guy!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony T

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Basically, almost everythings are good enough. I like the old style outlook.
It seems to be returned to the old London hotel.The outlook of the hotel is
good. and quite silient loaction. The hotel sevice is excellent

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is in a good location, close to the JR station, and is an ideal base for sightseeing. The interior is a welcome alternation within the modern architecture of Osaka. The rooms are small but fully equipped. Staff is friendly and did their utmost to meet our requests. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Location. Close to the JR station with its many restaurants and cafes. Reception is on the 8th floor. If you look carefully, you can find how to get there underground from where the Airport and other Limousine buses drop you and also from the main JR station. In the station, walk from the Central Gate towards the Sakura Exit and you should find it. Not easy at first.
Staff. Very good and helpful with enough English to assist where needed.
Facilities. Very comfortable and quiet bedroom with wooden shutters that blocked out all the early morning sun. Hooray! But to use the laundry, we had to go to a hotel next door where we had to sit where the smokers sit. Not pleasant.
Environment. If you want to help the environment, you can leave a card saying don't change the sheets or towels today.
Will we stay there again. Yes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is my 2nd time stayed into this hotel. Clean & Good Services. You will not worry about everything because Japan is a safe country unless you complain me about natural disaster like earthquake.... etc. other than that, all perfect.

Monterey Hotel, just beside JR Rail and you now need to worry about transportation. Unless you have purchase the any pass like Kansai Thru Pass which JR Rail is not connected. I do suggest you purchase JR Rail Pass and you can go to any where but some time you need to change to other railway.

Not worry if you want to asking question with their customer services because all of them are know english. However, sometime you need to guess what they are saying because the pronouce maybe not match what your country.

if room, definately small, this is Japan, Osaka, pls dont aspect there is "100000sqf" space for you. I have stay with my wife and daughter who 5 years old into standard room. ok, this is still fit.
However, we just trouble for the "shopping rewards" like handbag, shirt... from my wife... hehe

Ah, dont forget to walk around the Namba Walk, there is a lot of restuarants will meet your aspectation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ivanchan_27

Reviewed 5 July 2014

It is a great location to the local transit system. It is probably 5 minutes from JR Osaka station and entrance into the subway and 10 minutes from Umeda Station. The room was pretty standard size for Japan. The lobby is not on the 1st floor which I thought was a little odd, but service was quick. It was a pretty good hotel that I would stay at if I was going back to Osaka.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple