Hotel Landmark Umeda
Agoda.com
US$180
US$138
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Landmark Umeda is well-located, not far from Osaka station, for shopping and food. The Grand Front Osaka, with its many stores, is a two minute walk from the hotel. Also Yodobashi, an electronics store with other shops on the upper floors, is a two minute walk from the hotel.

I had a single room which was tiny but the room was clean and comfortable. It was fine for sleeping and bathing but not a room in which one would like to spend some time. With Osaka station so close, it was easy to catch a train to Kyoto.

The front office, except for one gentleman, didn't speak much English. It's fine for the usual business hotel but not the typical services one would get from a concierge at a better hotel. Again, for me this was fine since I wasn't planning to do much in Osaka while waiting for my daughter to join me for the trip to Kyoto.

I was touched by a staff member at the front desk. Coming back to the hotel with my shopping bags, I could not find a loaf of bread I had purchased. I asked at the front desk if I had perhaps dropped it in the lobby. One of the hotel employees came up to my room to investigate the disappearance of the loaf of bread. I had told her I had dropped it before I came to my room and she went back to the reception desk. She knocked on my door a few minutes later with a 500 yen coin (about $5) to replace the lost bread. It was so thoughtful. I didn't take the coin and eventually found the bread in one of the shopping bags.

The highlight of my trip to Osaka was visiting the Panasonic center in Grand Front Osaka just a few minutes walk from the Landmark Umeda. It was amazing. They had two apartments set up with the latest technology. It was fascinating. One unit was the latest tech in a family home. The second unit was designed for folks getting older like me. The use of limited space, the ease of using various technologies relevant to everyday living, the imaginative approach to home design was exciting. I went back the next day to see it again. If you visit this Panasonic center, try the massage chair. It was beyond beyond. I would move to Japan just to have a chair like this.

This is a business hotel, just the basics, a clean bedroom and bathroom. My single was around $60 per night. Starbucks is in Grand Front Osaka. Recommend the matcha latte.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Loveworldtravel
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel itself has nothing to write home about. Hostel looking lobby. Very small room even for Japanese standard. They don't even have shower gel in the bathroom (tiny bar soap instead), and shampoo comes in a little packet. Wifi signal in the room can be inconsistent, but they do have a broadband outlet you can plug in your mobile modem. Staff is helpful though. However, the location is great. 5 min walk to the JR station (cut through the Osaka Front mall) or 3 min walk to the subway line. Good restaurant options if walking towards the Hankyu station/ Hep 5 mall area, which is less expensive than the JR station area.

Room Tip: Not that easier to find as the hotel entrance is on a small side street. Look for Family Mart and then turn around the corner, 3 doors down is the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I absolutely LOVE this hotel. It's about a block from the main train station (with JR lines) and the rooms were huge. They had wired internet access. The rooms were very clean and didn't have any odor. It had a very cool "loft" feel, which we liked. It had exposed concrete and pretty minimalist decor.

Beware: when we booked on Agoda, I thought I put in 2 guests, but I guess I didn't. When we showed up, they made me pay $40 USD extra for the second person. If I had known, I would have just checked in myself and had my wife show up later. You only get 1 key anyway. Anyway, even with the $40 it was still very inexpensive (about $105). I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victor L
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Really close to the train station (2 streets). Convinience stores in 20 m. Vending machines inside the hotel. Nice personnel, who can barely speak english but will do their best to help you. Relatively close to the attractions in the city (metro required). Not close to the metro entrance, but it's only 10 minutes walk away.
Extremely clean and functional room. Don't expect extras. It's a business hotel and it's not prepared to host the same person for a lot of nights. Small bathroom but fitting the standards of the japanese hotels. The room is not huge, but it's got some space for you and the cases to move. No closet, just a couple of hangers.

Room Tip: Lower floors due to wifi signal
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rackso
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Hotel is cheap, and is very well located. Only 5 mins walk from Osaka Central Station, which we needed to use to get to Kansai Airport.
Staff are friendly. They were able despite limited English, to recommend a good shopping area fro my mother and wife.
Downside is that it does not serve breakfast, though there are microwaves and tables in the lobby. We needed this as we were travelling with a baby.
Rooms are basic but clean. Toliet and shower facilties were unsurprisingly cramped.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family