“Great view is the keyword.”

Hotel Osaka Baytower
Ranked #39 of 333 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

First of all, view from the view was very nice. Breakfast at 51 floor was also great experience for me. On the other hand, I found out there were some dust at some part of the room. But overall, I would say it was nice stay and will choose this hotel for another nights.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank leccetimes

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while attending a meeting that was hosted at the hotel. While I had a single room (one largish bed), my colleagues all had two beds in their rooms. The one-bed room's layout was much preferred - you could pass between the desk/dresser and the bed without whacking your knees! We stayed on the bay side, which has a fantastic view but is also beastly hot because it faces west. There were buttons for low/high air conditioning speeds, but no temperature controls. We got varying answers from the staff as to whether the A/C was actually on (one said it was "seasonal only" and another said it was on). The windows could be opened a few inches (then the emergency latch kicked in) so it was possible to have cooler air, along with the surprising amount of noise given that we were 40 floors up. The bed was firm. Actually, the bed was as hard as a rock.

The rooms all have Wi-Fi but there is none in the lobby (odd). There are non-smoking floors, but beware if you are not on one of those - the smoke is fierce in the hallways and in each room. Opening the window helped.

A buffet breakfast was included with our meeting booking, and we ate on the 51st floor. Both Japanese and western food selections were available, and the food was fine though not remarkable. There is a small Vie de France restaurant just a few steps away in the mall attached to the back of the restaurant, so for those who don't wish to pay for the buffet, that would be a great place for a quick and inexpensive breakfast. We had a lunch in the small Italian restaurant on the 2nd floor on the day we departed, and the pizza/salad deals for 500 yen were good value and the food was pretty good.

As a meeting facility, the hotel performed well. The rooms were well organized, appropriately heated/cooled, and the AV staff were very attentive.

The hotel staff speak very little English and all the tourist pamphlets in the lobby display racks are in Japanese. Similarly, most of the places we visited in Osaka had limited English resources. The Bentencho subway stop is very close by, as is the JR Loop train.

If I were to visit Osaka on personal travel, I'd chose a different hotel.

Room Tip: The bay side has a nice view but can be very hot.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank TracyTraveler
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was our very first hotel on our first trip to Japan. We expected a very small room but the standard double room we had turned up OK except I didn't like the old bed comforter. The room was part of our tour package so not sure how much it cost. As many others have mentioned, the bonus is definitely the breathtaking view this hotel has to offer.

Instead of the international buffet on the 51th floor, we went for the Japanese breakfast on the 20th floor. There were no options given, everybody was served the same typical Japanese breakfast set. You can opt for rice or porridge for your meal. Staff were polite and good service too. The breakfast was nice despite they may not have as many choices as the western buffet. Overall the stay was quite pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pipiky
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I struggled to come up with what to say about this hotel. After spending five nights here the experience has ranged from very good to terrible. After the last night I decided to go with terrible.
When we first stepped inside the hotel we were taken aback by the lobby and how nice this hotel looked. When we got to our room we were a bit disappointed. Considering we've had bigger rooms from hotels in Japan that were not 4 stars this was a let down.
The view however is everything advertised and more. We had a beautiful bay side view on the 41st floor. Inside the room was a paper listing what could be seen from both vantage points.
Unfortunately when we were not spending our time staring out the window we had to deal with the room. The bathroom floor had what appeared to be mold in the grout (I will attach a picture). We were heading out and talked to the staff about it and asked if it could be cleaned up before we returned several hours later.
The cosigner is the one who approached us asking if anything was wrong so we told him.
He was the most frustrating person in the world to deal with! (even though he spoke English) We told him the problem and I showed him a picture I took with my cell phone. He kept saying things like "so you're not happy with how clean your room is" and the way he said it made it feel like we were personally insulting him. I repeatedly told him the room was fine, just the mold was a problem. As we talked for a long time for something that should have been a three second conversation, he kept checking his watch. It got to the point where I'm pretty sure that he was blatantly doing it in front of us so we would be aware of how much of his time we were wasting.
Anyway, we left and came back much later with high hopes of a clean bathroom in our 4 star hotel. I don't think that's unreasonable.
Apparently it was though. It smelled like they cleaned it, but they probably just threw a mop over it once and called it a day.
We were exhausted from our day and just went to bed.
The next morning we didn't see any point in taking to the front desk about it and left a note in Japanese asking if this was mold with an arrow pointing to it.
Amazingly they cleaned it up by the time we returned and the front desk was very apologetic. Things were looking up.
The room has other problems. I didn't want to get in a long discussion in broken English or broken Japanese about them though, so we let them slide.
For this site though I will say that the bathroom faucets leak water when you turn them on and it pools up.
The shower hose in our room has a bit of a hole and the flow stops if you move the head a certain way.
Although we are on a non smoking floor the room always smells slightly more than faintly of cigarettes when we enter. Maybe the bed sheets are not kept separate, or maybe the maid is a heavy smoker and has a break right before she cleans our room?
There was dust in some of the out of the way places.
Inside some of the drawers there are clumps of something, dust bunnies perhaps?
It was hit or miss whether the garbage would be emptied - it seemed like maybe one of the maids is a bit forgetful.
A room light burnt out and they didn't bother to change it (but we didn't bring it up with the front desk so they might have missed it).
Lots of various little problems that could be avoided if the cleaning staff were allowed and/or cared to spend more time to do a thorough job.
Except for the maid on the last night who cleaned up so well and for some reason thought I didn't need the travel pillow I brought. The pillow is cheap enough and I was planning to throw it out before I left, but for my entire trip I was using it to prop my knees apart when I sleep. We asked them for a new pillow for the night and they brought two almost right away. That was nice but if my original never went missing they wouldn't have needed to at all.
There have been good moments here, but I honestly have no idea how it's 4 stars. I'm sure there are prisons with nice views as well, doesn't mean I want to spend money to stay in them.

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank LandStander82
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Location is really good, just get out from the second floor, you'd find JR loop line station, only 3 stops from Umeda. Rooms are okay, clean. Breakfast was good (I had it on the 51th floor, nice view of Osaka from there)
Also there are local restaurants if you get out from the 2nd floor to the station. Service was great too!

Room Tip: the higher rooms the better view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank EunikeG
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was my first city I visited in Japan. This hotel was the perfect location from the JR loop line, which leads around the city. As well, there are three great places to eat breakfast and have snacks right outside the doors. The staff were friendly, although many did not speak english. The rooms were very clean and the view was great. I did not find the pillows very comfortable for the bed and the tv had very few channels. Overall, it was a great experience. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Good location near station Betenchou, easy to go n very huge selection restorant, 51 bar is gorgeous view of Osaka , two selection for breakfast 51 floor is buffe or 20 floor is japanese food. Highly recommend

• Stayed: June 2013